Ads by Muslim Ad Network

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Questions about adoption, breastfed-mahram relation, & step-father/daughter relation

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions about adoption, breastfed-mahram relation, & step-father/daughter relation

1) If a woman breastfeeds an adopted daughter, i understand that her father and sons will become mahram to the foster-daughter. But will that woman's brother and husband become mahram to the foster-daughter as well? What about her husband's brothers and father, will they be mahram to her foster-daughter as well?

2) Let's say there's a woman and she has a daughter and she has a sexual relationship with a man (boyfriend, not husband yet), will that boyfriend become mahram to her daughter (if he has had intercourse with her mother)?

3) I understand that all step-fathers are mahram to their step-daughters (if they have had intercourse with their mothers), but do those step-fathers' fathers/brothers also become mahram to the stepdaughters of their brothers?

4) Is there a certain age for women where they can stop wearing hijab? (like when they are old, of a certain age?)

5) Is there a certain age for men when women (of any age) don't need to observe hijab from them?

6) Are cousin marriages not considered good in islam although they are permissible? (is there a story from prophet's (pbuh) life where he was prohibited from marrying any of his cousins due to some reason? or when prophet (pbuh) said it's better to marry non-related people?......i think i read something like this once but i don't remember)

(Sorry for so many questions at once)
    Last edited by greenblanket; 12-12-15, 09:33 AM.

Re: Questions about adoption, breastfed-mahram relation, & step-father/daughter relat

1) If a woman breastfeeds an adopted girl then that woman's husband also becomes mahram to the girl. I'm not sure about her husband's male relatives though

2) This will sound very controversial (and correct me if I'm wrong here) but my understanding on this issue is that according to shariah, you cannot forge relationships based on zina. So if a woman and a man are in a zina relationship, then the woman, her female relatives and female adopted children remain non mahram to him. In fact even if the two of them had a child through the zina relationship, a child born from a zina relationship is considered the child of the mother and in legal terms is considered a non mahram to the mother's sexual partner so the child cannot inherit from the father and shouldn't be without hijab in front of the father and stuff like that. Sounds drastic but that's how it is.

3) Step fathers are mahram if they are married to the mother of their step daughter, they are not mahram if they live in a zina relationship. I don't know about the step father's male relatives

4) Yes at a certain age though I'm not a 100% sure as to which age but it's most likely post menopause so this is something that can vary from person to person though generally women over 60 are not under obligation to cover but do it anyway for Islamic reasons

5) Again, if the woman is post menopausal then she's not under obligation to observe hijab even in public

6) Cousin marriages are considered a permitted option in Islam just as marrying a good Muslim outside of the family/tribe/race is a permitted option in Islam. It is considered as a "not good" thing when people try to mess with that; for example if people try to impose restrictions insisting their sons/daughters MUST marry cousins, or MUST marry within the tribe/race- it's not the place of parents to start making halal haram like that. Also whilst it's okay for a Muslim to marry a cousin, but healthwise it is not a good idea for people to marry cousins generation after generation after generation as this concentrates the gene pool so much and increases the risks of genetic diseases and also Islamically it's not appropriate to prohibit marriages outside the family solely on the basis of being unrelated. That is why in terms of the genealogy of the Prophet (saw) and Sahaba (ra), you will find that several of them had cousin marriages, but also many married people outside of their tribe or race and this was not an issue.

As for the Prophet (saw) marrying people from outside his family, he was asked why he did not marry a cousin of his and he said that she had been breastfed by Halima (ra), the same foster mother who breastfed him so that made them brother and sister. Also historians have speculated that he (saw) married people from other tribes to forge ties with those tribes and gain allies. People are less likely to go to war with a tribe that consists of their in laws.

Originally posted by greenblanket View Post
    1) If a woman breastfeeds an adopted daughter, i understand that her father and sons will become mahram to the foster-daughter. But will that woman's brother and husband become mahram to the foster-daughter as well? What about her husband's brothers and father, will they be mahram to her foster-daughter as well?

2) Let's say there's a woman and she has a daughter and she has a sexual relationship with a man (boyfriend, not husband yet), will that boyfriend become mahram to her daughter (if he has had intercourse with her mother)?

3) I understand that all step-fathers are mahram to their step-daughters (if they have had intercourse with their mothers), but do those step-fathers' fathers/brothers also become mahram to the stepdaughters of their brothers?

4) Is there a certain age for women where they can stop wearing hijab? (like when they are old, of a certain age?)

5) Is there a certain age for men when women (of any age) don't need to observe hijab from them?

6) Are cousin marriages not considered good in islam although they are permissible? (is there a story from prophet's (pbuh) life where he was prohibited from marrying any of his cousins due to some reason? or when prophet (pbuh) said it's better to marry non-related people?......i think i read something like this once but i don't remember)

(Sorry for so many questions at once)
    The Lyme Disease pandemic: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5u73ME4sVU

Comment

Re: Questions about adoption, breastfed-mahram relation, & step-father/daughter relat

Thanks a lot for the detailed answer :) God Bless!

Comment

Working...
      X