Ads by Muslim Ad Network

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tight clothing and short dresses in front of mahram men. allowed or prohibited?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tight clothing and short dresses in front of mahram men. allowed or prohibited?

Is it allowed in islam to wear short dresses/shorts/short skirts or tight clothing in front of dad, brother, nephews/uncles, or sons? (but cover up as per islamic rules in public in front of non-mahram men)

Re: Tight clothing and short dresses in front of mahram men. allowed or prohibited?

:salams

According to Hanafi fiqh:

The Awra of a woman in front of her Mahram men (those with whom marriage is permanently unlawful) consists of the area between the navel and knees, and also the stomach and back.

However, it should be remembered that if there is a fear of temptation (fitna), then it will be impermissible to expose non-awrah parts even in front of Mahrams, neither will it be permissible to see or touch those areas of a Mahrams body.

A Detailed Exposition of the Fiqh of Covering One’s Nakedness (awra)

Nevertheless, one should try to dress modestly even at home :insha:
    Secure few moments, everyday, to reflect upon the innumerable blessings of Allah and thank Him for bestowing them upon you.

"A person who is blessed with the ability to be grateful, shall never be deprived of barakah and increase in blessings."
    - Rasulullah (صلی اللہ علیہ وسلم)‎

Comment

Re: Tight clothing and short dresses in front of mahram men. allowed or prohibited?

Wearing short or tight clothes in front of other women and mahrams

Some cultures seem more lax about this and some take it to the other extreme.

Comment

Wa Alaykumussalam

Answered above sis.

just wanted to ask though.. wouldn't you feel awkward/uncomfortable wearing tight/short clothes in front of your Mahrams anyway, even if its permitted, like your dad n bros etc?
        And with Him are the keys of the Ghayb (all that is hidden), none knows them but He. And He knows whatever there is in the land and in the sea; not a leaf falls, but He knows it. There is not a grain in the darkness of the earth nor anything fresh or dry, but is written in a Clear Record”
        [al-An’aam 6:59]

Comment

Originally posted by Creamcake View Post
          Wa Alaykumussalam

Answered above sis.

just wanted to ask though.. wouldn't you feel awkward/uncomfortable wearing tight/short clothes in front of your Mahrams anyway, even if its permitted, like your dad n bros etc?
          I think it depends on how you're brought up. I've seen relatives wearing leggings with just a top in front of their father and it makes me feel awkward, but they didn't have a problem with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Muslimah~S View Post
            I think it depends on how you're brought up. I've seen relatives wearing leggings with just a top in front of their father and it makes me feel awkward, but they didn't have a problem with it.
            yeah it depends since its permissible to do, yeah same i'd feel super awkward as well.
            And with Him are the keys of the Ghayb (all that is hidden), none knows them but He. And He knows whatever there is in the land and in the sea; not a leaf falls, but He knows it. There is not a grain in the darkness of the earth nor anything fresh or dry, but is written in a Clear Record”
            [al-An’aam 6:59]

Comment

Yeah it would be extremely awkward. In my family we would get beaten actually, even though i would never do it.
              Ya Allah,
              Make me a stronger person today. Make me a better person out of all these. It is no longer bearable for me for my heart is aching and You are the only One who knows how I feel. Nothing is making sense to myself and for anyone else for that matter especially to the one person I wish to understand me better than anybody else.
              "Don't use the sharpness of your tongue on the mother who taught you how to speak

Comment

Originally posted by patient believer View Post
                Yeah it would be extremely awkward. In my family we would get beaten actually, even though i would never do it.
                You would get beaten??? :shock:

OP I think it depends on your own family as well as cultural influences. Some families are really lax some are super strict.

Comment

Other than the Islamic rule...I agree it depends on your family.

When we were younger we had to wear very long tops if we wanted to wear jeans. Dresses weren't allowed without leggings (at around 5 years of age) . Never been allowed to bare shoulders either, there has to be a sleeve (shot or long). I once got in trouble for rolling my sweats up (by maybe a hands length only lol). My mom wouldn't even let me wear a sleeveless top or dress even if I had a cardigan over it...she just recently started being okay with it. She won't allow me to wear a floor length dress without leggings underneath...she allowed it a bit (recently) when it was super hot. But my parents did relax as we got older for some reason. I can wear t-shirts with leggings, jeans (top doesn't have to be super long), I don't wear a scarf around my neck at home etc. But they're still strict when it comes to the skin. None of it other than some of my arms, feet, hands and neck area show. In some cultures I noticed they are much more relaxed...like with some Arabs. The girls can wear Western dresses that bare shoulders and arms, sometimes even short dresses, tank tops etc...at least in weddings. My parents son't care if it's only girls, still not allowed lol.
                  Nothing is impossible with Allah

Comment

Originally posted by Muslimah~S View Post
                    same, just can't do it
                    'Whatever it be wherein ye differ, the decision thereof is with Allah: such is Allah my Lord: In Him I trust, and to Him I turn.' The Holy Qu'ran Al Shura (Consultation)

So, which of the favours of your lord will you deny? ~ Surah Ar Rahman

Comment

I see a lot of mentions of parents and restrictions but at the end of the day, you guys are doing it for yourselves and your akhirah.

No one's going with you to your graves. And in my opinion, the more modest you are, the better
                      Believe
                      there is
                      good in the world

Comment

Well, modesty is important.
                        If there is fear of fitnah, which usually there is not, you should definitely wear more modest clothing,

Comment

My folks make a big deal whenever I wear tight clothings and shorts around the house. They dont directly say its immodest or haram or whatever but Im assuming they dont like it because it seems immodest for a girl like me, esp when theres a lot of bros in the house. Once my bro walked in to my room unexpectedly and i was in shorts. He wanted to ask me something but left halfway in shock when he saw what I wore lol.

So the only solution to that is wear whatever you want in the privacy of your own room with doors locked. Outside, even with fam members make your clothes loose.

Comment

According to scholars, If its tight on the areas that is permissible to uncover its ok. cuz wearing tight (skin tight) clothing comes under "clothed yet naked" and we have an explicit hadhith about this. But i don't know about cloths that are in between loose and tight. I guess they don't come under "clothed yet naked" category.

Comment

also whenever Islam says to cover awrah, it also mean the shape should be hidden so i guess even within mahraham you can't were tight cloths, if its tight on areas that you are not suppose to reveal to them

Comment

Working...
                              X