Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Cooking secrets/tips

Originally posted by neelu View Post
    More like amateur home cook Neelu, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. Most of our mothers would be considered amateur home cooks but actual masterchef winners who want to open the best restaurants will often end up fighting to train under these mums and home cooks.

Being a competent home cook who can manage 5 basic routine dishes is something to be proud of and enough of a skill set to be able to look after oneself and household and those basic skills can be built upon to learn other dishes.

Step 1: to start off with something very basic and uncomplicated- I'd say the first task to attempt within the next week or so is to get the hang of breaking an egg, whether it's to make a basic fried egg, poached, egg, omlette or whatever else, but getting that right is a good start as far as basic skills are concerned. Attempt it twice a week for as long as it takes till you get it right inshaAllah.

I got the hang of cracking eggs when I was 12 after several attempts. Don't feel like giving up just cos' a bit of shell lands in the dish sometimes- that happens to the best of us. Expert cooks would scoff and think this is a silly little thing to write two paragraphs about, but I know for a beginner, these basics are a big deal and it's not like I'm asking them to make a 3 course gourmet meal or jumping at the deep end- it's a relatively simple but significant step in the right direction. [MENTION=131974]Creamcake[/MENTION] [MENTION=4725]nine[/MENTION]tydaisies
    Jazakhallahu Khairan! Last time I tried, I managed to crack an egg without any shell landing in lol, will try again Insha ' Allah. Sorry for the late reply, not been on UF much the past few days, and yeah the idea about trying basic recipes on the food section is amazing, Insha ' Allah that would be great, so us beginners can start learning how to cook, Insha ' Allah :)
    And with Him are the keys of the Ghayb (all that is hidden), none knows them but He. And He knows whatever there is in the land and in the sea; not a leaf falls, but He knows it. There is not a grain in the darkness of the earth nor anything fresh or dry, but is written in a Clear Record”
    [al-An’aam 6:59]

Comment

Originally posted by zi-zizou View Post
      It's a big deal...I heard you can die if you don't eat.
      I didn't mean not eating. I just meant not over indulging with certain types of foods.
      And with Him are the keys of the Ghayb (all that is hidden), none knows them but He. And He knows whatever there is in the land and in the sea; not a leaf falls, but He knows it. There is not a grain in the darkness of the earth nor anything fresh or dry, but is written in a Clear Record”

Comment

Originally posted by Creamcake View Post
        I didn't mean not eating. I just meant not over indulging with certain types of foods.
        The comment was in response to not being a chef before marriage. But it's fine it was said several days ago.

Comment

The comment was in response to not being a chef before marriage. But it's fine it was said several days ago.
          Okay, yeah I know, not been online much.

Comment

Originally posted by Creamcake View Post
            Okay, yeah I know, not been online much.
            You weren't doing your 9pm-5am?

Comment

Add garlic and ginger to you spices, it amps up the heat @)
              [SIZE=3][FONT=Times New Roman][B][U][CENTER]Oh Allah, in your name, I die and live.[/CENTER][/U][/B][/FONT][/SIZE]
              [CENTER]:):lailah::lailah::lailah::lailah::)[/CENTER]

[B][CENTER]Ya Allah, Grant Me A Heart That Sees[/CENTER][/B]

Comment

Originally posted by zantz View Post
                Add garlic and ginger to you spices, it amps up the heat @)
                good point

kya if you don't already, does your bhabi have a ginger and garlic paste in the fridge? that makes cooking curries easier
                'Whatever it be wherein ye differ, the decision thereof is with Allah: such is Allah my Lord: In Him I trust, and to Him I turn.' The Holy Qu'ran Al Shura (Consultation)

So, which of the favours of your lord will you deny? ~ Surah Ar Rahman

Comment

You weren't doing your 9pm-5am?
                  Nope not doing the usual working day on UF, trying to limit time on here, Insha ' Allah.

Comment

Originally posted by Ya'sin View Post
                    good point

kya if you don't already, does your bhabi have a ginger and garlic paste in the fridge? that makes cooking curries easier

Yea she left some past in the fridge. I saw more frozen ginger paste so that's good. I might need to make some garlic paste in few weeks.

This week cooking was fairly smooth. Made side (vegy) dish 2x during the week. Took out a frozen curry & been living off of weekend meal. But the food is not ending, I am bored of the same food. I want to make something new but I feel bad cuz the other food is going to go to waste. I guess I have to cook smaller meal but then I have to cook more often which leaves me feeling stressed. This week cooking was so relaxing & flexible that I could cook any day & not make a big impact on our food supply.

Comment

Working...
                    X