Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Overcoming Anxiety

Assalamualaikum,

Anyone who has dealt with ongoing anxiety please post what worked for you to lessen or control the anxiety?
    17-07

Re: Overcoming Anxiety

Originally posted by SheSaid View Post
    Assalamualaikum,

Anyone who has dealt with ongoing anxiety please post what worked for you to lessen or control the anxiety?
    Salaam

Yes say this dua after fajr and Maghrib

In English: ‘O Allaah, I take refuge in You from anxiety and sorrow, weakness and laziness, miserliness and cowardice, the burden of debts and from being over powered by men.’

And generally do some excersice and face ur problems head on
    youth before your old age, your health before your sickness, your wealth before your poverty, your free time before you are preoccupied, and your life before your deathhttps://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgE...kS-Qi3nf3tcvPw

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by SheSaid View Post
        Assalamualaikum,

What sort of anxiety sister?

If it's social anxiety I can totally help, I've given advice about it before and know what it's like.
        It's a tough battle overcoming it but alhamdulillah I want you to know it's possible:up:
        Thee do we worship, and Thine aid we seek.

Comment

Sometimes getting some fresh air helps
          You have to really face your fears but do things one step at a time
          Tell yourself why do you care or fear so much
          That negative voice in your head needs to be challenged
          Last edited by Green786; 26-11-15, 10:16 PM.
          "Try to distance yourself from everything that causes you worry and sadness, so that you may always live with peace of mind and an open and tranquil heart, seeking Allah and His worship and working on your worldly and otherworldly matters, for if you try this, you will find rest.

Comment

Overcoming Anxiety

Let yourself be free
            [SIZE=3][FONT=Times New Roman][B][U][CENTER]Oh Allah, in your name, I die and live.[/CENTER][/U][/B][/FONT][/SIZE]
            [CENTER]:):lailah::lailah::lailah::lailah::)[/CENTER]

[B][CENTER]Ya Allah, Grant Me A Heart That Sees[/CENTER][/B]

Comment

For me, I was able to make progress by learning how to solve problems in my life. Identify a problem, find a solution, and implement it. Your confidence should go up if you keep doing this.

I also stopped trying to be or do things that were against my nature. I used to be horribly ashamed of being so introverted. I used to let people's comments make me feel that way. Now I accept that I'm introverted and find ways to make my life and introversion work together.

Obviously, this was just the beginning for me, and there are many other things you can do. Try reading some self-help books. Some of them are good, some not so good, but you should be able to glean some ideas of what works for you.

As for the medication, I got myself off as soon as I could when, depsite what my doctor said, I realised that the anxiety was produced by me, in my thoughts, and not because of some sort of chemical imbalance that he kept going on about.
              Last edited by sandman123; 27-11-15, 03:04 AM.
              "Don't be too perfect; no one will want to talk to you. Maintain a flaw or two to keep yourself approachable." -My guide to being amazing

Comment

Wa Alaykumussalam
                Make Du'aa and try your best. Accept who you are, we all have limits, try to work on them/overcome them, just try to the best of your ability n keep making Du'aa. no one can ask more than what you're capable off n don't feel like anyone has the right to, sis. there are also therapies to assist with some forms of anxiety.

Comment

Originally posted by Figs View Post
                  What sort of anxiety sister?

If it's social anxiety I can totally help, I've given advice about it before and know what it's like.
                  It's a tough battle overcoming it but alhamdulillah I want you to know it's possible:up:
                  Can you tell us about overcoming social anxiety please?

Comment

Originally posted by Sfe995 View Post
                    Can you tell us about overcoming social anxiety please?
                    Okay, no problem. I tried looking up some older posts because I had great advice I probably can't remember right now but they're lost. So I apologize if my advice isn't scientifically up to date insha allah.

Many people with social anxiety feel depressed because they feel like they are the only ones with it. But it's not true, it's actually a pretty common fear increased by the modern way of living....because nowadays most of our connections are related to school or work.
                    It's important for people suffering from it to know that it's a step by step process, it takes time, and oftentimes people like myself would get frustrated at why me? when will I change? But it's the smallest things that will help us get to where we want to be.

A lot of times social anxiety stems from past experiences, of being marginalized, rejected, or sometimes childhood experiences of bullying, or sometimes more truamatizing experiences such as abuse, etc. Subconsciously, what we worry most about is what people will think of us, how we talk, how we eat, or what we say. This fear will cause peopel with social anxiety to suffer panic attacks or to feel extremely stressed over seemingly small things like eating in the cafeteria or talking to the librarian, etc., or making friends.

The first thing is to make duaa to Allah. This is a test from Him, and through our struggles, we are getting closer to Him. Second, it's important not to insert yourself immediately into tough situations like presenting a presentation because trying to force yourself to undergo a drastic change of mindset won't help, if anything it'll keep you anxious and it's possible the person can fear social interactions even more. Small steps can be adding a few words or two when grouped in a classroom discussion instead of being quiet. Or eating in the campus basement or nearby area rather than the people-filled cafeteria. Make small steps, and gradually increase.

To combat anxiety when trying to interact with people, remember a lot of people are self-conscious too. You're not the only one. If you have to ask a classmate a question or you want to get to know someone, it's OK to tell them that you get nervous about talking to others, or that you struggle in a certain subject.
                    if you have a very difficult presentation to make and you feel like you can't breathe, it's okay to say 'Okay guys, I've never really done this before and I'm a bit nervous, but we'll see how this goes..' normally saying this in the start helps you lift that emotional burden of 'trying to be normal' because you being nervous IS a normal thing. It helps you get comfortable with yourself and also to handle any constructive criticism because you know that everything is a learning process.

Admitting your struggles (a little bit) helps the other person/people to not notice when you do get panicky and it also comforts your psychology when you do so.

When you want to strike a conversation with someone but you feel social anxiety kick in and you feel your words get twisted or something, it is okay to say 'I hope I didn't offend you by saying this' or 'Sorry, did that make any sense?', apologize whenever you feel doubtful because most likely the person would not have noticed much, and if they did they will actually feel grateful or touched because apologizing (but not overdoing it) gives the impression that you are very empathic. This helps especially when you want to debate with someone because then there is no tension and being diplomatic is a very likeable trait. This can help you overcome the fear of opposing someone when circumstaces require you to do so.

To deal with criticisms, or those awkward moments when the driver yells at you, tells you off, a teacher singles you out, or a boss makes you uncomfortable, the best way to deal with to 1) maintain calm and 2)it is to internalize the fact that their words do NOT define who you are. Our subconscious does this a lot to those of us who suffer from anxiety.What they say won't give people the impression that what they say constitutes who you are as a person, no. Everyone has those awkward moments in life, it's not limited to you.

But if someone says 'I disagree with you' or 'I think you're wrong.' It's okay to ask them of their point of view or what they think could have been done better. Because when slowly you remember (even if it is nervewracking at first) that they aren't attacking you....they just have another point of view, you slowly gain confidence from being diplomatic and also standing your ground in a debate or discussion. It will help you 1) Overcome fear of feeling weird or inadequate which will help you engage more with others and 2) You will lose that sense of dread when you end up in a social situation.

The goal is to reduce social anxiety by weakening the trigger: fear of criticism induced by social interactions, which is what ingraining the underlined red in your activities will do eventually.

Last, but not least, remember the people are not the police. They aren't watching our steps, our every motive, our every move. Only Allah (swt) is. So when you're eating in the cafeteria for example or reading in the library, it's okay to seclude yourself at first, or keep your face away from the direction of the other people while you're getting used to it. Surfing our phone when you feel the anxiety kick in helps....but once you get a little comfortable remember to take the steps, to then sit down with other students and eat, and then once you get used to this, to later feel confident enough to invite friends to eat with you. People really don't notice every single thing, those who do are the ones who need to check themselves lol.

Sorry, I know this makes no sense. I'll make a proper thread on this in the future, one that makes my tips a bit more readable lol.

Comment

Originally posted by figs View Post
                      okay, no problem. I tried looking up some older posts because i had great advice i probably can't remember right now but they're lost. So i apologize if my advice isn't scientifically up to date insha allah.

Many people with social anxiety feel depressed because they feel like they are the only ones with it. But it's not true, it's actually a pretty common fear increased by the modern way of living....because nowadays most of our connections are related to school or work.
                      it's important for people suffering from it to know that it's a step by step process, it takes time, and oftentimes people like myself would get frustrated at why me? When will i change? but it's the smallest things that will help us get to where we want to be.

a lot of times social anxiety stems from past experiences, of being marginalized, rejected, or sometimes childhood experiences of bullying, or sometimes more truamatizing experiences such as abuse, etc. Subconsciously, what we worry most about is what people will think of us, how we talk, how we eat, or what we say. This fear will cause peopel with social anxiety to suffer panic attacks or to feel extremely stressed over seemingly small things like eating in the cafeteria or talking to the librarian, etc., or making friends.

the first thing is to make duaa to allah. This is a test from him, and through our struggles, we are getting closer to him. second, it's important not to insert yourself immediately into tough situations like presenting a presentation because trying to force yourself to undergo a drastic change of mindset won't help, if anything it'll keep you anxious and it's possible the person can fear social interactions even more. Small steps can be adding a few words or two when grouped in a classroom discussion instead of being quiet. Or eating in the campus basement or nearby area rather than the people-filled cafeteria. make small steps, and gradually increase.

To combat anxiety when trying to interact with people, remember a lot of people are self-conscious too. You're not the only one. If you have to ask a classmate a question or you want to get to know someone, it's ok to tell them that you get nervous about talking to others, or that you struggle in a certain subject.
                      If you have a very difficult presentation to make and you feel like you can't breathe, it's okay to say 'okay guys, i've never really done this before and i'm a bit nervous, but we'll see how this goes..' normally saying this in the start helps you lift that emotional burden of 'trying to be normal' because you being nervous is a normal thing. It helps you get comfortable with yourself and also to handle any constructive criticism because you know that everything is a learning process.

admitting your struggles (a little bit) helps the other person/people to not notice when you do get panicky and it also comforts your psychology when you do so.

when you want to strike a conversation with someone but you feel social anxiety kick in and you feel your words get twisted or something, it is okay to say 'i hope i didn't offend you by saying this' or 'sorry, did that make any sense?', apologize whenever you feel doubtful because most likely the person would not have noticed much, and if they did they will actually feel grateful or touched because apologizing (but not overdoing it) gives the impression that you are very empathic. This helps especially when you want to debate with someone because then there is no tension and being diplomatic is a very likeable trait. This can help you overcome the fear of opposing someone when circumstaces require you to do so.

to deal with criticisms, or those awkward moments when the driver yells at you, tells you off, a teacher singles you out, or a boss makes you uncomfortable, the best way to deal with to 1) maintain calm and 2)it is to internalize the fact that their words do not define who you are. our subconscious does this a lot to those of us who suffer from anxiety.what they say won't give people the impression that what they say constitutes who you are as a person, no. everyone has those awkward moments in life, it's not limited to you.

but if someone says 'i disagree with you' or 'i think you're wrong.' it's okay to ask them of their point of view or what they think could have been done better. because when slowly you remember (even if it is nervewracking at first) that they aren't attacking you....they just have another point of view, you slowly gain confidence from being diplomatic and also standing your ground in a debate or discussion. It will help you 1) overcome fear of feeling weird or inadequate which will help you engage more with others and 2) you will lose that sense of dread when you end up in a social situation.

the goal is to reduce social anxiety by weakening the trigger: Fear of criticism induced by social interactions, which is what ingraining the underlined red in your activities will do eventually.

last, but not least, remember the people are not the police. They aren't watching our steps, our every motive, our every move. Only allah (swt) is. so when you're eating in the cafeteria for example or reading in the library, it's okay to seclude yourself at first, or keep your face away from the direction of the other people while you're getting used to it. Surfing our phone when you feel the anxiety kick in helps....but once you get a little comfortable remember to take the steps, to then sit down with other students and eat, and then once you get used to this, to later feel confident enough to invite friends to eat with you. people really don't notice every single thing, those who do are the ones who need to check themselves lol.

Sorry, i know this makes no sense. I'll make a proper thread on this in the future, one that makes my tips a bit more readable lol.
                      hug.
                      Indeed we belong to Allah,
                      and indeed to Him we will return.

Quran 2:156

Comment

Originally posted by ninety1daisies View Post
                        hug.
                        Omg, I just realized I made many grammar, spelling, and punctuation errors...now it won't be good advice:(

Hugs back tho grl, what didja think of ma post? :)

Comment

Originally posted by Figs View Post
                          Omg, I just realized I made many grammar, spelling, and punctuation errors...now it won't be good advice:(

Hugs back tho grl, what didja think of ma post? :)
                          All very good points. I agree the cure is 1)dua 2)exposure therapy

Comment

[MENTION=125704]Figs[/MENTION] I used to struggle with this tremendously, but Alhamdulillah so much better now. Now, everytime the fear of being judged creeps up in my mind, I try to become stern with myself. I'll think to myself, what the heck am I doing? I should only fear Allah. Who the hell are these people to make me feel this way, and why am I giving them so much power to make me act so self-conscious around them? They are simple humanbeings just like I am. I should only worry about what the creator thinks of me not what His creation thinks.

In reality, people aren't really judging you as you may think, it's shaytaan that is whispering negative thoughts into your mind that they are (this can be deadly, because it can be a form of shirk). Another thing that helps me to overcome acting so self-conscious is when I remember that I'm wearing the hijab. As a hijabi, I know that my actions will often times give of the impression of what Islam is and what Muslims are like. So thinking like this, is something that has slowly allowed me to overcome my anxiety around people. Because obviously wearing the hijab, I want to appear friendly, approachable, and portray the right kind of confidence as a young Muslim woman inshaAllah. -Sighhh wearing the hijab is seriously a big responsibility, because you don't want to give off the wrong message with your actions.

Comment

[MENTION=134214]ninety1daisies[/MENTION]

I totally agree sis :)

I admire how you dealt with it (and managed to explain it in one paragraph ;)

Insha allah a thread needs to be made about this....there are hundreds of threads and I want to make sure people on forum who have had this in the past to be able to have access to the resources in one thread and know that they are not alone.

Comment

Working...
                              X