X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Sisters, which do you wear?

Originally posted by **Sister** View Post
    Sis, it's the semantics that's causing all the confusions, lol

The jilbab aka khimar, is what I'm referring to here. I guess your referring to an abaya in your post, is that right?

The jilbab/ khimar, is what resembles the hijab for the prayer clothes for females. That's what I meant by the jilbab. They usually come down till the waist or knees, so your meant to wear it with either an abaya or skirt.

In my post, I'm referring to the sisters who wear the jilbab, and with jeans or pants underneath. It looks so out of place because it's should be worn with an abaya/skirt. It looks odd when a sisters wears something modest and loose like the jilbab, then wears jeans/pants with it. It doesn't look good. I hope I made sense :/
    Ooooh okay that's interesting this is new to me. I've always seen the terms abaya and jilbab used interchangeably- that's why I couldn't understand your post.... For years I've been telling people online that I wear the jilbab- so I wonder if some will misunderstand that and assume I only wear the khimar??? I've only recently learned that the khimar that goes down to the waist is also known as a "half jilbab" and yes, the thought of someone wearing that with jeans does sound strange to me.
    The Lyme Disease pandemic: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5u73ME4sVU

Comment

I just wear regular clothes, no hijab or niqab or nothin'. One day :insha:

Comment

Lol going through this thread and everyone is referring to something different when they say jilbaab/khimar.

I have always known khimar as the head-to-knee garment, and the jilbaab to be the head-to-toe garment, whereas my cousins consider khimar to be just the small headscarf you wear on your head and the jilbaab to be the same thing as an abaayah.

:scratch:

The only thing we can seem to agree on is the niqaab and gloves lol.

Comment

What about the standard hijab + skinny jeans/leggings combo? How does that work? I reckon if the poll was anonymous that would come fairly high, no?

Comment

^No- I don't think people would readily admit to it easily on here knowing how others would react, even if the poll was anonymous.
            The Lyme Disease pandemic: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5u73ME4sVU

Comment

just a basic hijab, wich covers head neck and breasts. Sometimes I wear a khimaar

Comment

I wear a jeans + Hijab but with something so you dont see my ''behind'' and with a shirt thet comes to the knees then for me it is halal

Comment

I wear standard hijab (hair and neck). Either I go outside with a long skirt or a long top/tunic with baggier trousers. I don't wear jeans anymore..doesn't seem right to wear a long top with tight trousers. IshaAllah I'll buy an abaya if I'm absolutely not bothered to choose what to wear outside.

Comment

I really wanna wear Niqaab, insha ' allah.
                    And with Him are the keys of the Ghayb (all that is hidden), none knows them but He. And He knows whatever there is in the land and in the sea; not a leaf falls, but He knows it. There is not a grain in the darkness of the earth nor anything fresh or dry, but is written in a Clear Record”
                    [al-An’aam 6:59]

Comment

• Re: Sisters, which do you wear?

Originally posted by Creamcake View Post
                      I really wanna wear Niqaab, insha ' allah.
                      same sis.. but i just cant rn

Comment

[MENTION=131974]Creamcake[/MENTION] and [MENTION=134440]Zoha_R[/MENTION] all it takes is the niyyah and one day Allah will inspire you to actually put it on and in shaa Allah never take it off.

I feel even my hijaab needs some more improvement. i reallly really reallllllllyyyyyy wish that i could cover my eyes. There used to be a time that i would cover my eyes with a lace bit. Those were the days. My teacher she used to cover her eyes sooo much, that was admirable (is that right?)

But now i have had to adjust things for practicality and to be handsfree

لا تفكر كثيرا
                        بل استغفر كثيرا

-------------------------------------------------------
                        The children need your prayers more than anyone else
                        -------------------------------------------------------
                        www.inheritorsofquran.wordpress.com

Comment

Originally posted by Zoha_R View Post
                          same sis.. but i just cant rn
                          I get you sis, Insha ' Allah you can in the near future, and same with me sis, Insha ' Allah I can super soon as well.
                          I was thinking what's rn...lol, then figured out it was right now. Haha, I'm behind on lingo these days.
                          And with Him are the keys of the Ghayb (all that is hidden), none knows them but He. And He knows whatever there is in the land and in the sea; not a leaf falls, but He knows it. There is not a grain in the darkness of the earth nor anything fresh or dry, but is written in a Clear Record”

Comment

Originally posted by F_R View Post
                            [MENTION=131974]Creamcake[/MENTION] and [MENTION=134440]Zoha_R[/MENTION] all it takes is the niyyah and one day Allah will inspire you to actually put it on and in shaa Allah never take it off.

I feel even my hijaab needs some more improvement. i reallly really reallllllllyyyyyy wish that i could cover my eyes. There used to be a time that i would cover my eyes with a lace bit. Those were the days. My teacher she used to cover her eyes sooo much, that was admirable (is that right?)

But now i have had to adjust things for practicality and to be handsfree
                            Jazakhallahu Khairan sister. You're right, I feel like Insha ' Allah once it's on, Insha ' Allah it wont come off, but actually wearing it in the first place.. Like I only started wearing an Abaya less than a year ago, and I'm still tranna figure out if I'm wearing the right kind. And I know it shouldn't influence me as to whether family/friends wear it, as no one does with the Niqaab, and I feel like everyone would get such a big shock, but that doesn't matter, since its for Allah s.w.t
                            Yeah that's admirable Masha ' Allah that you used to cover your eyes too :)I know what you mean, sis.

Comment

Originally posted by neelu View Post
                              ^No- I don't think people would readily admit to it easily on here knowing how others would react, even if the poll was anonymous.
                              But with a certain age group that's a prevalent look, certainly in the UK. It kind of makes the current poll null and void.

Comment

Originally posted by bintmydad View Post
                                Lol going through this thread and everyone is referring to something different when they say jilbaab/khimar.

I have always known khimar as the head-to-knee garment, and the jilbaab to be the head-to-toe garment, whereas my cousins consider khimar to be just the small headscarf you wear on your head and the jilbaab to be the same thing as an abaayah.

:scratch:

The only thing we can seem to agree on is the niqaab and gloves lol.
                                thats so true,,I really dont know what people refer to when they say what. for me its always been:

khimar:scarf thats medium sized

hijab:general covering of any kind

jilbab: longer hijab that goes to the waist/knees or even ankles
                                abaya: the black dress
                                Allah sent down his tranquillity upon him and supported him with angels you did not see and made the word of those who disbelieved the lowest, while the word of Allah - that is the highest. And Allah is Exalted in Might and Wise.

Comment

Working...
                                X