• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fakhri
    started a topic Experiences of BJJ

Experiences of BJJ

Assalamu 'alaykum,

I posted regarding this in another thread, but it was a thread dedicated to Silat, and the post was lost amongst all the comments there.

I was wondering if any brothers (or sisters, I guess) have had any experiences with training in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu.

I've been considering it for some time but would like to know if it would be worthwhile - two 2-hour sessions a week. Will that be sufficient in making any meaningful progress?

If you do train in BJJ or have done so, previously, did you find it beneficial?

I'm interested in this over other similar martial arts/defence/combat training because the environment is good with a Muslim instructor and Muslim pupils.

Another thing is that the idea of takedowns, grappling, locks and holds all appeal to me more than something strike-focused such as boxing (question of permissibility).

Any input is appreciated

(Jazaa'akunullah)
    Last edited by Fakhri; 10-11-15, 07:55 PM.

• Faculty
    replied
    Damn i wanna do this but mixed gender classes preventing me. Dont wanna roll with women

Leave a comment:

• Fakhri
    replied
    Re: Experiences of BJJ

In reply to (rep message asking) why I don't create a blog, I'm really not expecting many readers of this, if at all, tbh. It's all written in quite a dry way, but I did say to Br Chained Rider that I'd keep a journal on his site, so...Yes. that's pretty much why I'm doing it.

I mght start to get a little technical and make it more for reference purposes for myself... Ie. What I need to work on, what I could try out in the next session, etc, etc. There is so much to learn with this, Alhamdulillah. It's fascinating, challenging, exciting, Alhamdulillah...

I've been told for the first six months or more, I'd better resign myself to getting 'smashed' so to speak. Nevertheless, Alhamdulillah, I think as long as my body can keep up, I'd like to keep up with this, InshaaAllah.
    In it for the long haul, if Allah Ta'aalaa allows.

Leave a comment:

• Fakhri
    replied

Originally posted by Morose View Post
    (Br Fakhri I do like the idea of beating on people and fly kicking them across the room but unfortunately I've never done it. Looks interesting though. Also I hope you're not mad at me bro).
    :D (in bold)

Not quite what goes on there, but why at all would I be mad at you, dear brother? That's a bit out of the blue. Hmmm....

Leave a comment:

• Morose
    replied

(Br Fakhri I do like the idea of beating on people and fly kicking them across the room but unfortunately I've never done it. Looks interesting though. Also I hope you're not mad at me bro).

Leave a comment:

• Fakhri
    replied

( SESSION 2: Anti-spazz & Deception of Size
    Post by Fakhri Today at 9:50 pm

In contrast to the first session, I decided for my next it was better to conserve energy and focus on learning techniques, rather than using strength and gassing out early on in the sparring...

http://eldiplomat.forumotion.com/t55...ces-journal#87 )

Leave a comment:

• Fakhri
    replied

Br [MENTION=140134]Chained Rider[/MENTION]

Session 1

Personal prep
    After a half session where my training uniform (Gi) had not yet arrived by post, my first actual session was on last Thursday.

I'd spent a bit of time looking up and watching videos for info and tips for beginner white belts...

http://eldiplomat.forumotion.com/t55...ces-journal#86

A log as mentioned/promised for your diplomats' forum :up:

Leave a comment:

• Fakhri
    replied

Originally posted by ibn taym View Post
    I've been doing it for almost a year, and I recommend it.
    You are going to struggle the first months, but you just need sabr
    Alhamdulillah. Had first session yesterday evening.

It was more of a 'half session' - seeing as the 'gi' I ordered hadn't yet arrived and I was the only person not wearing it.
    People seemed a little hesitant dealing with a beginner, especially one with no gi!

Was good to get a taste of things, alhamdulillah. Still managed to go through a few techniques... A little advanced for a beginner. Looking forward to next session, InshaaAllah.

Leave a comment:

• Ya'sin
    replied

OMG :shock: I WOULD LOVE TO DO THIS

and SHOCKINGLY they opened a new centre but it's mixed in the middle of nowhere :wacko: grrr what a shambles :zzz:

oh well, at least I can dream about it and you know, pretend I'm breaking tables like Mr Miyagi

totally awesome

everyone should do it if they can

Leave a comment:

• ibn taym
    replied

Originally posted by Fakhri View Post
    (Subhaanallah. This post was in 2015, and finally circumstances are such that I can start, InshaaAllah. Really excited about this, alhamdulillah.)
    I've been doing it for almost a year, and I recommend it.
    You are going to struggle the first months, but you just need sabr

Leave a comment:

• AmantuBillahi
    replied

Wa'alaykumussalam warahmatullah wabarakaatuh.

Absolutely, dear brother. Alhamdulillah. Really such a great ni'mah, if physically able (without debilitating sickness,etc)
    We really should try to make the most of these things because they really do offer so much goodness for us, both physically and mentally.

MaashaaAllah, why did you stop going, brother?
    I'd like to think it's a lot handier than you're saying there!
    All that drilling and experience, inshaaAllah, when the situation calls for it, your instincts for using those legs will help you out, surely?

...I did look at boxing (and still am looking at it, tbh), but it would obviously have to be within our guidelines.
    There is quite a highly thought of gym not too far, but the problem is it's mixed and seeing a glimpse of the condition they train in (together) - the less said the better.

There's also a muay Thai mma gym close by. Again, mixed environment (and I'm not really a fan of muay Thai).

I didn't realise there were so many clubs/schools/gyms around here, tbh, many different martial arts.

The reason I chose BJJ is because I wanted something with grappling mainly. And the location, environment is all ideal.

I noticed though, having watched a couple of sessions, it seems there is very little stand up / striking involved?

They also have kick boxing there, so I may have a look at that as well, down the line, if not now. In all honesty, even though I can be aggressive if I need to be, I'm not the kind of person who'd want to do damage to anyone, or be happy to engage in confrontation/fights by learning these things - Main thing for me is to know how to restrain, subdue, defend, etc, and of course, if we have to then knowing how to box / kickbox may well come in handy as well.

The mental side of things, conditioning, also very appealing - not to mention wrestling has been encouraged by Rasoolullah :saw: so is something pleasing to Allah Ta'aalaa. Alhamdulillah. (Bjj not exactly wrestling, but a form of it?)

(Ameen, brother, to your du'a. :jkk: )

-------------

What got you into TKD, brother?
    How long were you training?
    Wa alaykom salam wa rahmatullahi wa barakatu

Goof stuff man. Yeah the training and conditioning is good in and of it self. There was no TKD class except you left the gym sweating and basically out of breathe(which was great ofc)
    As for why I stopped ... I made mistakes in my life akhi lol. One thing lead to another and eventually I stopped going because it was not in tune with my life at the time sadly. When I was going it was great and I took it pretty far, had I stayed for another year or two I could have been an instructor myself. I have dreams about the place to this day lol and my mom is always advising me to go back.

Now that I have converted to islam a few things are kind of keeping me back though.
    Firstly you must bow to the Korean / Canadian flag before and after class ritualisticly
    Secondly the classes are mixed with men and women. Though there is usually only a few ladies but still , you might have to interact with them to some degree.

Great to hear your getting in to something though. And BJJ you could be safe regarding striking the face since that is haram from what I remember. There is no hitting the face right? In tkd kicking the head is recommended (2+ points)

Yeah
    Sorry for the typos im on the phone

Barak Allah fik

Leave a comment:

• Fakhri
    replied

Originally posted by AmantuBillahi View Post
    Assalamu alaykom !

Interesting stuff man , may Allah make it beneficial for your health and imaan.
    I really like these things , I think if you keep your body in shape then it also keeps your mind fresh and active. You need the heart to pump and martial arts provide the cardio and consistency / dedication in order to benefit from this. Also going to the gym or staying active in any way is really good .
    I took Tae Kwon doe when I was younger and went pretty far with it too alhamdulillah. I still have a membership with the club even though it's been quite some time since I've went there. To be all the way honest with you , if fighting skills is what you want , I would never suggest Tae Kwon do. It is more like a cardio sport. When are you ever going to kick anyone ? Rarely ever. But if cardio and core muscles are what you want to Excell (which is great too) then Tae Kwon do requires that if you want to compete against other fighters..

Uhm so why did you choose bjj over mma? Most people now take mma. What are you trying to achieve from this program?

I'll be interested to read your log ins

:wswrwb:
    Wa'alaykumussalam warahmatullah wabarakaatuh.

Absolutely, dear brother. Alhamdulillah. Really such a great ni'mah, if physically able (without debilitating sickness,etc)
    We really should try to make the most of these things because they really do offer so much goodness for us, both physically and mentally.

MaashaaAllah, why did you stop going, brother?
    I'd like to think it's a lot handier than you're saying there!
    All that drilling and experience, inshaaAllah, when the situation calls for it, your instincts for using those legs will help you out, surely?

...I did look at boxing (and still am looking at it, tbh), but it would obviously have to be within our guidelines.
    There is quite a highly thought of gym not too far, but the problem is it's mixed and seeing a glimpse of the condition they train in (together) - the less said the better.

There's also a muay Thai mma gym close by. Again, mixed environment (and I'm not really a fan of muay Thai).

I didn't realise there were so many clubs/schools/gyms around here, tbh, many different martial arts.

The reason I chose BJJ is because I wanted something with grappling mainly. And the location, environment is all ideal.

I noticed though, having watched a couple of sessions, it seems there is very little stand up / striking involved?

They also have kick boxing there, so I may have a look at that as well, down the line, if not now. In all honesty, even though I can be aggressive if I need to be, I'm not the kind of person who'd want to do damage to anyone, or be happy to engage in confrontation/fights by learning these things - Main thing for me is to know how to restrain, subdue, defend, etc, and of course, if we have to then knowing how to box / kickbox may well come in handy as well.

The mental side of things, conditioning, also very appealing - not to mention wrestling has been encouraged by Rasoolullah :saw: so is something pleasing to Allah Ta'aalaa. Alhamdulillah. (Bjj not exactly wrestling, but a form of it?)

(Ameen, brother, to your du'a. :jkk: )

-------------

What got you into TKD, brother?
    How long were you training?

Leave a comment:

• AmantuBillahi
    replied

InshaaAllah. May keep a little online journal type thing on there. :up:
    Assalamu alaykom !

Interesting stuff man , may Allah make it beneficial for your health and imaan.
    I really like these things , I think if you keep your body in shape then it also keeps your mind fresh and active. You need the heart to pump and martial arts provide the cardio and consistency / dedication in order to benefit from this. Also going to the gym or staying active in any way is really good .
    I took Tae Kwon doe when I was younger and went pretty far with it too alhamdulillah. I still have a membership with the club even though it's been quite some time since I've went there. To be all the way honest with you , if fighting skills is what you want , I would never suggest Tae Kwon do. It is more like a cardio sport. When are you ever going to kick anyone ? Rarely ever. But if cardio and core muscles are what you want to Excell (which is great too) then Tae Kwon do requires that if you want to compete against other fighters..

Uhm so why did you choose bjj over mma? Most people now take mma. What are you trying to achieve from this program?

I'll be interested to read your log ins

:wswrwb:

Leave a comment:

• Fakhri
    replied

Originally posted by ElCubeDiblom Co. View Post
    I hope you also mean start the thread @ El Diplomat. :))))
    InshaaAllah. May keep a little online journal type thing on there. :up:

Leave a comment:

• ElCubeDiblom Co.
    replied

(Subhaanallah. This post was in 2015, and finally circumstances are such that I can start, InshaaAllah. Really excited about this, alhamdulillah.)
    I hope you also mean start the thread @ El Diplomat. :))))

Leave a comment:

Working...
X