Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Experiences of BJJ

Assalamu 'alaykum,

I posted regarding this in another thread, but it was a thread dedicated to Silat, and the post was lost amongst all the comments there.

I was wondering if any brothers (or sisters, I guess) have had any experiences with training in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu.

I've been considering it for some time but would like to know if it would be worthwhile - two 2-hour sessions a week. Will that be sufficient in making any meaningful progress?

If you do train in BJJ or have done so, previously, did you find it beneficial?

I'm interested in this over other similar martial arts/defence/combat training because the environment is good with a Muslim instructor and Muslim pupils.

Another thing is that the idea of takedowns, grappling, locks and holds all appeal to me more than something strike-focused such as boxing (question of permissibility).

Any input is appreciated

(Jazaa'akunullah)
    Last edited by Fakhri; 10-11-15, 07:55 PM.
    LAA ILAAHA ILLALLAH
    -------------------------------
    "And if you would count the graces of God, never could you be able to count them. Truly, God is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful." (Qur'aan 16:18)
    NOTE: Please kindly do NOT rep my posts. (Jazaa'akumullah).

Re: Experiences of BJJ

You only need one move:

Click image for larger version

Name:	karate-kid-crane-kick1.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	41.3 KB
ID:	10760082

Comment

Originally posted by Abu 'Abdullaah View Post
      You only need one move:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]80662[/ATTACH]
      I have only one Question...

Will you be my Mr Miyaagi?
      LAA ILAAHA ILLALLAH
      "And if you would count the graces of God, never could you be able to count them. Truly, God is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful." (Qur'aan 16:18)

Comment

The only advice I can offer you is stop delaying and just start. You'll know ask these answers yourself with a week. But sitting around waiting for answers will only delay your progress acki.
        Believe none of what you hear, and only half of what you see.

Comment

Originally posted by InTheBegining View Post
          The only advice I can offer you is stop delaying and just start. You'll know ask these answers yourself with a week. But sitting around waiting for answers will only delay your progress acki.
          Jazaa'akallah. I hear what your're saying, brother inTheBeginning. Overthinking and delaying is no good - has caused me enough problems in the past. I think I will give it a few lessons and speak to some of the other brothers there, inshaaAllah.

Having a Muslim environment and a Muslim instructor isn't something I could get easily.

Good opportuniy, Alhamdulillah. I need to make use of it.
          LAA ILAAHA ILLALLAH

Comment

Originally posted by Fakhri View Post

:rotfl: ... Good question.

Comment

Take a free class. All gym offers it
              "They are Shuhadaa (witnesses) to the fact that this Deen is greater than life, that values are more important than blood and that principles are more precious than souls" - Sheikh 'Abdullah Azzam

Lost in Islamic History :inlove:

Comment

Assalamu 'alaykum,

I posted regarding this in another thread, but it was a thread dedicated to Silat, and the post was lost amongst all the comments there.

I was wondering if any brothers (or sisters, I guess) have had any experiences with training in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu.

I've been considering it for some time but would like to know if it would be worthwhile - two 2-hour sessions a week. Will that be sufficient in making any meaningful progress?

If you do train in BJJ or have done so, previously, did you find it beneficial?

I'm interested in this over other similar martial arts/defence/combat training because the environment is good with a Muslim instructor and Muslim pupils.

Another thing is that the idea of takedowns, grappling, locks and holds all appeal to me more than something strike-focused such as boxing (question of permissibility).

Any input is appreciated

(Jazaa'akunullah)
                Wa alaikum Asalam,

I do BJJ. Have been doing it for about 6 months. Though I've been interested in it for about 7 years, but I couldn't do it due to health issues.

You'll definitely make progress. Though at 2 hours a week, you won't be making leaps and bounds, and eventually your progression will slow down to a snails pace.

1. You'll need to do it more regular.

2. Even more important than the first, you have to pick the right place and people to do it with. Otherwise you won't enjoy doing it, and will lose interest in no time.

3. There is no single martial art that will protect you from everything. You should couple this art (which is a grappling art) with a striking art. Boxing, Muay Thai ... Ect.

Who will you be training with?

Comment

Originally posted by Fais View Post
                  Wa alaikum Asalam,

I do BJJ. Have been doing it for about 6 months. Though I've been interested in it for about 7 years, but I couldn't do it due to health issues.

You'll definitely make progress. Though at 2 hours a week, you won't be making leaps and bounds, and eventually your progression will slow down to a snails pace.

1. You'll need to do it more regular.

2. Even more important than the first, you have to pick the right place and people to do it with. Otherwise you won't enjoy doing it, and will lose interest in no time.

3. There is no single martial art that will protect you from everything. You should couple this art (which is a grappling art) with a striking art. Boxing, Muay Thai ... Ect.

Who will you be training with?
                  Jazaa'akallah, thank you for that reply, br Fais.

3. Yeah, that seems to be the general view. The brother (instructor) himself mentioned he is looking to add kick-boxing classes, also. In my case, though, it is more about
                  just equipping myself with some sort of skills that could come in handy, because at the moment, It's just been all weight training.

2. I am intending to be doing it at a local masjid. The instructor and students will all be Muslim, presumably.

1. It would be 2 two-hour sessions (roughly), so 4 hours a week, but that's all they offer.

You say you've been training for 6 months yourself.
                  Could I ask how often that's been weekly, and what you are currently doing in terms of your own level of progress after 6 months? It'd be nice to have an idea of what to expect after a month, three months, six months, etc...

(Jazaa'akallah, br Fais)
                  LAA ILAAHA ILLALLAH

Comment

if you can be a young grass hoppa then you might get mr miyaagi
                    Please Please Please Make Dua for these [URL="http://www.ummah.com/forum/showthread.php?455964-Plz-Make-Dua-for-these-members&p=6715010&viewfull=1#post6715010"]Click Here[/URL] JazakAllahi

Comment

Jazaa'akallah, thank you for that reply, br Fais.

3. Yeah, that seems to be the general view. The brother (instructor) himself mentioned he is looking to add kick-boxing classes, also. In my case, though, it is more about
                      just equipping myself with some sort of skills that could come in handy, because at the moment, It's just been all weight training.

2. I am intending to be doing it at a local masjid. The instructor and students will all be Muslim, presumably.

1. It would be 2 two-hour sessions (roughly), so 4 hours a week, but that's all they offer.

You say you've been training for 6 months yourself.
                      Could I ask how often that's been weekly, and what you are currently doing in terms of your own level of progress after 6 months? It'd be nice to have an idea of what to expect after a month, three months, six months, etc...

(Jazaa'akallah, br Fais)
                      If you're looking to do something that could come in handy, BJJ is definitely it.

Honestly, from my own experience it matters little if the people are Muslim. In fact, I know of one Muslim who trained at a gym where everyone wasn't Muslim and his experience was amazing. And you won't necessarily get the best experience just because you're training with Muslims. As you'll come to know, everyone has an ego, including you. But after you get beat up and tapped out by a guy half your size, you'll leave that ego behind and start progressing.

4 hours a week is pretty decent, though many people have it spread out over 3 days or 4 days.

Your progression will depend on you and how serious you take it, as well as how good your instructor is at teaching you and how good other students you roll (roll here meaning spar) with are. Try and mix up who you go with. Don't always go looking for the best guys as they are just going to beat you and you won't progress much like that.

Mine unfortunately has only been once a week up until recently which is now twice a week. But I've had injuries, surgery and other issues that have hindered me. Now that I think about it, I've actually been going longer than 6 months, maybe about 9 months. But maybe third of that I've had off due to injuries.

As for my level of progression, I felt it was going really well till I had to get surgery done. That's kind of put me back. But you just have to pick yourself up and start again. I could go with someone who's a blue belt and come out feeling like I didn't get totally smashed. For me that's good progression.

Insha Allah you'll progress fast. Just remember a couple of things.

You say you doing weight training, so I'm assuming you're well built or thereabouts. Don't try and power your way out of a submission, you'll end up getting injured (and you can't train with injuries), instead just tap. It may sound like common sense, but you'll be surprised how many people push common sense aside once their egos are in play.

When you get someone in a submission, and they tap. Let go immediately.

There are a few other things which I'm sure your instructor will go over when you first start. Its good to see more and more Muslims doing this.

Most importantly, it's fun, so enjoy yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by Fais View Post
                        If you're looking to do something that could come in handy, BJJ is definitely it.

Honestly, from my own experience it matters little if the people are Muslim. In fact, I know of one Muslim who trained at a gym where everyone wasn't Muslim and his experience was amazing. And you won't necessarily get the best experience just because you're training with Muslims. As you'll come to know, everyone has an ego, including you. But after you get beat up and tapped out by a guy half your size, you'll leave that ego behind and start progressing.

4 hours a week is pretty decent, though many people have it spread out over 3 days or 4 days.

Your progression will depend on you and how serious you take it, as well as how good your instructor is at teaching you and how good other students you roll (roll here meaning spar) with are. Try and mix up who you go with. Don't always go looking for the best guys as they are just going to beat you and you won't progress much like that.

Mine unfortunately has only been once a week up until recently which is now twice a week. But I've had injuries, surgery and other issues that have hindered me. Now that I think about it, I've actually been going longer than 6 months, maybe about 9 months. But maybe third of that I've had off due to injuries.

As for my level of progression, I felt it was going really well till I had to get surgery done. That's kind of put me back. But you just have to pick yourself up and start again. I could go with someone who's a blue belt and come out feeling like I didn't get totally smashed. For me that's good progression.

Insha Allah you'll progress fast. Just remember a couple of things.

You say you doing weight training, so I'm assuming you're well built or thereabouts. Don't try and power your way out of a submission, you'll end up getting injured (and you can't train with injuries), instead just tap. It may sound like common sense, but you'll be surprised how many people push common sense aside once their egos are in play.

When you get someone in a submission, and they tap. Let go immediately.

There are a few other things which I'm sure your instructor will go over when you first start. Its good to see more and more Muslims doing this.

Most importantly, it's fun, so enjoy yourself.
                        Alhamdulillah. Jazaa'akallah, Thank you so much for taking the time to write that reply. Very helpful.

The point about Muslim environment was mainly related to genders and also the possibility of having to bow and such.

Allah grant you full recovery and tawfeeq to progress.
                        BTW, your signature is excellent. Alhamdulillah.
                        LAA ILAAHA ILLALLAH

Comment

(Subhaanallah. This post was in 2015, and finally circumstances are such that I can start, InshaaAllah. Really excited about this, alhamdulillah.)
                          LAA ILAAHA ILLALLAH

Comment

(Subhaanallah. This post was in 2015, and finally circumstances are such that I can start, InshaaAllah. Really excited about this, alhamdulillah.)
                            I hope you also mean start the thread @ El Diplomat. :))))

Comment

Originally posted by ElCubeDiblom Co. View Post
                              I hope you also mean start the thread @ El Diplomat. :))))
                              InshaaAllah. May keep a little online journal type thing on there. :up:
                              LAA ILAAHA ILLALLAH

Comment

Working...
                              X