Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Antidepressants

:salams

What are everyone's thoughts on them? There seems to be a lot of negativity surrounding them, whilst others recognise they can be useful when used in moderation.

Some of the articles online seem to be very dramatic when describing their side affects. Do all these side affects really occur?

Please don't make comments about how depression doesn't exist or other silly things.

:jkk:

Re: Antidepressants

Yes, they do have major side effects including suicide, but it does come down to

1)drug/ dose
    2) person
    3) how long its used for.

I personally wouldn't take the risk and use it but then again, I don't need it, alhamdulilah. I understand some DO need it, especially in the first few weeks when the condition is too severe to manage otherwise. If so I would suggest, lots of research on the specific type and careful observation when taken to ensure that you put a stop to it if it does more harm than good. Also never let it be a long-term solution, if you can. I would also suggest looking at alternative options, if possible, psychotherapy, healthy eating and exercise daily etc.

Hope that helps.

:wswrwb:
    Last edited by Rebel101; 16-10-15, 11:57 AM.

Comment

if you are thinking about it, exhaust other alternatives to boost serotonin levels. Don't go straight to pills
      "They are Shuhadaa (witnesses) to the fact that this Deen is greater than life, that values are more important than blood and that principles are more precious than souls" - Sheikh 'Abdullah Azzam

Lost in Islamic History :inlove:

Comment

Originally posted by Rebel101 View Post
        Yes, they do have major side effects including suicide, but it does come down to

1)drug/ dose
        2) person
        3) how long its used for.

I personally wouldn't take the risk and use it but then again, I don't need it, alhamdulilah. I understand some DO need it, especially in the first few weeks when the condition is too severe to manage otherwise. If so I would suggest, lots of research on the specific type and careful observation when taken to ensure that you put a stop to it if it does more harm than good. Also never let it be a long-term solution, if you can. I would also suggest looking at alternative options, if possible, psychotherapy, healthy eating and exercise daily etc.

Hope that helps.

:wswrwb:
        Sometimes I do think it's a bit of a money making thing. They give you one medication which causes other problems and then you are on medication forever to solve multiple issues. I also don't like the way they treat you a bit like a guinea pig and try out different drugs, but I guess that's how people figure out what works for them.

:jkk:

Originally posted by samin62 View Post
        if you are thinking about it, exhaust other alternatives to boost serotonin levels. Don't go straight to pills
        I'm waiting for some tests to come back then I'll know if anything is imbalanced or low. :jkk: for the suggestion.

Comment

Antidepressants

I know people who have taken antI depressants, and I have noticed a change in them,not for the better. I guess the medicine works and stops one feeling depressed,by working on feelings. So it can also make one emotionally numb. to an extent anyway. which is quite scary. it can kinda change one's personality. make them seem more immune/like they care less. This isjust experience with ppl that I have known. I'm sure it varies. Alhamdulillah,they came off the medicine.

I advocate therapy any days over meds. So Du'aa, and therapy that the doctor can refer people to. Both are important, the docs therapy can work on changing cognitive processeses, there's a lower relapse rate generally, and it's more long term
          And with Him are the keys of the Ghayb (all that is hidden), none knows them but He. And He knows whatever there is in the land and in the sea; not a leaf falls, but He knows it. There is not a grain in the darkness of the earth nor anything fresh or dry, but is written in a Clear Record”
          [al-An’aam 6:59]

Comment

Originally posted by Creamcake View Post
            I know people who have taken antI depressants, and I have noticed a change in them,not for the better. I guess the medicine works and stops one feeling depressed,by working on feelings. So it can also make one emotionally numb. to an extent anyway. which is quite scary. it can kinda change one's personality. make them seem more immune/like they care less. This isjust experience with ppl that I have known. I'm sure it varies. Alhamdulillah,they came off the medicine.

I advocate therapy any days over meds. So Du'aa, and therapy that the doctor can refer people to. Both are important, the docs therapy can work on changing cognitive processeses, there's a lower relapse rate generally, and it's more long term
            That's why someone I know refused to take them for a long time. He said they made him feel like a zombie when he did take them.

Comment

Anti depressants effect the make up on the brain and long term use of certain types have been linked to Dementia later on in life.

Personally I would exhaust all other avenues before even considering them.

I was prescribed them when I was going through my divorce, because I was serverly depressed.....alhumdollilah Allah swt got out it by using other means.
              وَالْعَصْرِ

إِنَّ الْإِنسَانَ لَفِي خُسْرٍ

إِلَّا الَّذِينَ آمَنُوا وَعَمِلُوا الصَّالِحَاتِ وَتَوَاصَوْا بِالْحَقِّ وَتَوَاصَوْا بِالصَّبْرِ

"If Allah (swt) only sent this Surah to us, for the guidance of Mankind, this will be enough for us” - Imam Shaafi'ee r.a.

"Yeh dunya daar e faani hain, Tum apna dil mat lagaon, Ganimat samaj zinadagee ki bahar, aana na hoga, yahaa baar baar......"

Khanqah Habibiyah

Comment

Originally posted by samin62 View Post

+1

There are times where a person can just change their schedule and pick up exercise etc. and it will make all the difference in the world so that they don't need any medication.

But there are also times when a person may need medication because the chemical imbalance is severe enough to warrant medical intervention. I've seen these medications help some people. I've never seen them actually hurt people unless their expectations were unrealistic(take a pill and all problems are solved) or the medication wore off and then they feel worse again. I used to be very strongly anti-medication for mental health, but that changed when I saw how much they helped a family member.

From what I've seen, antidepressants don't necessarily make you happy. But they alleviate the depression so that you can function again on a normal level and be happy over something good, sad if something difficult happens, etc. My family member went from sleeping almost constantly and not wanting to be around anyone to attending university full time, making friends, and being more sociable and active. They can be a good thing depending on the situation, but try everything else first.

Comment

anti-depressants messes with your hormones and chemicals in your brain. You can develop a chemical imbalance, I wouldn't trust anything pharmaceutical companies market, nor would I with process food companies, there's a reason why America is the most well off country yet has the highest cancer and depression rates.
                  "Don't be too perfect; no one will want to talk to you. Maintain a flaw or two to keep yourself approachable." -My guide to being amazing

Comment

Like most medications unfortunately there will be a list of side effects as long as your arm. It is really patient dependent, some people will experience no side effects, others may experience many. I echo the thoughts of others here; for many people changes in lifestyle, exercise, therapies such as counselling can have a really huge impact and I would reserve medication until these measures are proven ineffective. For other people with severe depression, they may not be able to even initiate lifestyle changes though they want to, so they usually opt for medication straight away. I think the most common anti-depressants shouldn't really make you feel like a 'zombie', I haven't really seen this to be the case. This might happen as you verge higher up the scale to stronger medications or ones that are designed to mute manic episodes or erratic behaviour.

Comment

Originally posted by Bint_Hajj View Post
                      +1

There are times where a person can just change their schedule and pick up exercise etc. and it will make all the difference in the world so that they don't need any medication.

But there are also times when a person may need medication because the chemical imbalance is severe enough to warrant medical intervention. I've seen these medications help some people. I've never seen them actually hurt people unless their expectations were unrealistic(take a pill and all problems are solved) or the medication wore off and then they feel worse again. I used to be very strongly anti-medication for mental health, but that changed when I saw how much they helped a family member.

From what I've seen, antidepressants don't necessarily make you happy. But they alleviate the depression so that you can function again on a normal level and be happy over something good, sad if something difficult happens, etc. My family member went from sleeping almost constantly and not wanting to be around anyone to attending university full time, making friends, and being more sociable and active. They can be a good thing depending on the situation, but try everything else first.
                      ^^This.

You along with your doctor need to determine whether your depression is mild, moderate or severe. Depending on what the causing factors are/were you will require therapy. Psychotherapy is amazing and there are many different approaches to help the issues people face.

Meds will help you function on a semi-normal level when you're struggling and this will give you the energy you need for therapy and everyday life. All meds come with side effects and they should never be a long term solution (which is why the with the help of therapy you have to try your best to sort out/deal with the underlying issues).

Another thing to consider is that mental health issues are not random and sometimes they run in families (i.e. genetic predisposition) or it is the result of life experiences/event flavoured by our own personalities and how we deal with things. This means that episodes can come and go so one needs to see it as any other physical illness that doesn't have a straightforward magic pill. You will need to equip yourself with the tools to face relapses and build a strong support system around yourself to reduce vulnerabilities :insha:

There should be no shame or stigma in mental health illness, it is just like any other physical illness with a complex set of causes. We should educate our families and friends to not speak negatively about it esp if they don't have any experience.
                      Last edited by Nafs al Tawabah; 16-10-15, 01:04 PM.
                      ‘If only I had done such-and-such, then such-and-such would have happened.’ Rather you should say, ‘Qaddara Allah wa ma sha a fa’ala (Allah decrees, and what He wills He does),’ for (the words) ‘If only’ open the door to the Shaytan.” (Narrated by Muslim).

Comment

Originally posted by مسلمة View Post
                        That's why someone I know refused to take them for a long time. He said they made him feel like a zombie when he did take them.
                        Yeah that's what I meant sister, that emotional numbing, can leave people feeling like that. I'd say try to avoid and exhaust all other avenues Insha ' Allah.
                        And with Him are the keys of the Ghayb (all that is hidden), none knows them but He. And He knows whatever there is in the land and in the sea; not a leaf falls, but He knows it. There is not a grain in the darkness of the earth nor anything fresh or dry, but is written in a Clear Record”
                        [al-An’aam 6:59]

Comment

Antidepressants do work and are a life saver for many with severe depression.
                          However they are generally over prescribed by GP's/primary health providers.

For mild to moderate depression there are many other things you can do before you try pills - but this takes time, effort, both on the patients part and the doctors part. Realistically most patients don't have the drive and will power to change their life in positive ways. So antidepressants seem easy.

If you do go on them, you need to make sure our doctor knows what he is doing, you are checked up regularly, etc. Plus realise that they for most cases they were intended to be used as a crutch - use it for a few weeks and months, get some energy, improve life and environment, then wean off them. They are not a cure in them selves.

Comment

This is coming from a licensed nurse whom has worked for the health department.. Most patients on these pills are either addicted to them, can no longer survive without them.. As if the brain shuts of and depends on them to function.. And also when stopped, the patient becomes serverly depressed, suicidal and numb.

Avoid any antidepressants..
                            I love you, cherish you and worship you,
                            Guide me on your path to your janna,
                            Unite me beside you My King and all mighty,

:love:Allah:love:

Comment

Well you know my story lol.

I'm on antidepressants to treat my anxiety disorder. It has helped a lot, although these past few months I feel that they aren't working as great as they used to. When I started taking them I had no thoughts of suicide, no depression, no anxiety, no panic attacks, it was like I was a new person. And I was seeing a therapist too, so it helped a lot. The side effects I've mostly had to deal with was weight gain, but that's about it. I think if you're going to go on an antidepressant you should see a therapist as well. Everyone reacts differently to medication, but if it's working and you see a therapist the therapist will teach you ways to cope without the medication so you won't always need it.

A lot of people criticize others for taking antidepressants, but honestly they helped me a lot. I didn't think they would either, I was very pessimistic about going on them.

I have been getting depressed and anxious a lot, so I do understand that they seem to wear off. My mom still thinks I need it, and wants me to try another one. But I don't want to keep using different antidepressants just because one stops working. I don't really know what do now.
                              Last edited by brightesthour; 16-10-15, 11:31 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X