X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• zi-zizou
    replied
    Re: Ideal house for Joint family

The ideal I would have thought for most would be two separate houses within close proximity.

Leave a comment:

• AhlulQuran88
    replied

In Somalia and parts of the middle east those with money build a 1 bedroom 1 living room and 1 bathroom bungalow in the corner of the compound maybe 300 square meters. that way the parents have there own living space and privacy when they choose to have it

Leave a comment:

• Kya
    replied

Duplex are obviously great option but most duplex have 2 bedrooms which is limiting for bigger family. First floor bedroom works if its only parents in law living and the couples have kids of their own. Then their family is upstair while parents are downstair. When the inlaws still have unmarried kids then the married couples are living right next to other family member. It makes better sense for couple to take 1st floor bedroom & let the inlaws stay upstairs

Leave a comment:

• Plumeria
    replied

Duplexes are ideal for two families. One house, two separate floors each with bedrooms/ bathrooms/ and kitchen. Problem solved

I live in a colonial and on our first floor, my FIL has his own room with a full bathroom. All of our bedrooms are upstairs. When we were getting the house built, we had his room made for him. It's the option called the in law suite. If you wanted separate kitchens, that obviously wouldn't work. I like the basement thing, you can get a finished basement but all the money you would put towards it, would be beneficial to get a duplex instead.

Leave a comment:

• Gingerbeardman
    replied

Originally posted by Kya View Post
    Many of you are familiar with the concept of "one large family"/living with inlaws that exist in desi culture from Marriage section. This thread is not about debating good or bad aspect of living with inlaws or culture baggage. I am wondering what is the ideal type of house that best accommodates this set up especially in west.

I live in a Bungalow & think it is semi-ideal. We have some bedrooms on first floor & bedroom and bathroom on 2nd floor. Allowing 2 family to stay close but still have separate floor except for kitchen/living/dinning room. But living and dinning are for guest mostly. So kitchen is the only problem + entering/exit house forces you to know everyone's move

I think colonial house with all the bedrooms in 2nd floor and living space in first floor are the worst for joint family. Unless there is basement & one family (kids or parents) take the basement while the other family live on 2nd floor. Then it is ok, but not many people are comfortable in basement

any special living set up you saw in west or even in East that made the living together situation smooth
    yeah because two desi women sharing a kitchen, that could never go wrong right?

a wife has a right to separate facilities, kitchen, bathroom etc, not just a separate bedroom.
    Last edited by Gingerbeardman; 16-10-15, 01:14 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Taboo
    replied

I dont think having bedrooms close to each other is a good idea because of privacy issues for married couples if you catch my drift. And inlaws also like to press ears to doors during arguments.

IMO, side-by-side houses is much more ideal. Close, but private. Ive seen this done in nonmuslim extended families.

Leave a comment:

• Kya
    started a topic Ideal house for Joint family

Ideal house for Joint family

Many of you are familiar with the concept of "one large family"/living with inlaws that exist in desi culture from Marriage section. This thread is not about debating good or bad aspect of living with inlaws or culture baggage. I am wondering what is the ideal type of house that best accommodates this set up especially in west.

I live in a Bungalow & think it is semi-ideal. We have some bedrooms on first floor & bedroom and bathroom on 2nd floor. Allowing 2 family to stay close but still have separate floor except for kitchen/living/dinning room. But living and dinning are for guest mostly. So kitchen is the only problem + entering/exit house forces you to know everyone's move

I think colonial house with all the bedrooms in 2nd floor and living space in first floor are the worst for joint family. Unless there is basement & one family (kids or parents) take the basement while the other family live on 2nd floor. Then it is ok, but not many people are comfortable in basement

any special living set up you saw in west or even in East that made the living together situation smooth
Working...
X