Ads by Muslim Ad Network

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it haram to look at the sky while making dua?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it haram to look at the sky while making dua?

:salams

As a reference from this hadith:

لَيَنْتَهِيَنَّ أَقْوَامٌ عَنْ رَفْعِهِمْ أَبْصَارَهُمْ عِنْدَ الدُّعَاءِ فِي الصَّلاَةِ إِلَى السَّمَاءِ أَوْ لَتُخْطَفَنَّ أَبْصَارُهُمْ
    Abu Huraira reported:
    People should avoid lifting their eyes towards the sky while supplicating in prayer, otherwise their eyes would be snatched away.

http://www.sunnah.com/muslim/4/129

Is it haram to lift the eyes toward the sky when making dua? I know it is not recommended in salat, but what about making dua, for example, when going out, or during raining time? The hadith above says فِي الصَّلاَةِ, so it might only be in exception in salah?

Jazakallah khair, for reading my post.

Re: Is it haram to look at the sky while making dua?

I believe he :saw: used to raise his hands until his :saw: armpits showed, and looked upwards, on various occasions. Perhaps someone can correct or add to this, insha Allah.

Edit: out of Salah, of course.

Comment

no, in fact i read one quote from one of the salaf which is used as a refutation of the deniers of Allah being above his throne, saying something along the lines are heart and eyes are above when we make dua.
      You think you know more than my scholar's qiyās? He was more learned than you and all other scholars combined. Yeah, the devil was the greatest scholar too and look where his qiyās of fire being better than tīn got him. Sorry.

You follow your scholar's qiyās, and I will follow the Qur'ān and Sunnah.

Comment

I've generally heard that we should look down or into our palms because it's more humble than looking up.
        “Ask forgiveness from your Lord. Indeed! He is Oft-Forgiving.” (71:10)

Comment

I don't make it such an issue as I once did, I just keep quiet, but...

The Prophet (peace be upon him) said: Your Lord is Most Shy and Most Generous! He is so Shy that He does not send His Servant's supplications back without answering them when His Servant raises his hands on supplicating Him. [Ahmad #23202, Abu Dawud #1488]

The Prophet (sallallaahu 'alayhe wa sallam) used to raise his hands in his qunoot an-naazilah, supplicating against people. [Saheeh: Ahmad 3/137, al-Mu'jam as-Sagheer, and al-Bayhaqee in Dalaa'il an-Nubuwwah and as-Sunan al-Kubraa].

Comment

Is it haram to look at the sky while making dua?

I think instead of looking at the sky, it's preferable to raise your hands high..

Comment

that hadith is talking about when in salaat, so when supplicating in salaat such as the Qunoot or after durood in last tashahud don't look at sky!

Comment

Working...
              X