Archery/bowhunting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Archery/bowhunting

I'm thinking of getting back into archery and was curious if anyone else is into it?
    I've given up a lot of my hobbies and interests since becoming a serious and practicing muslim,not knowing what is and isn't allowed I've played it safe and now find myself bored with life.

Bowhunting is very popular among hunters in Canada and the US. A bow can be used to take down anything from Wild turkey to Moose.
    There is a Club and indoor shooting range here in Calgary I have considered joining.

I've considered buying a pre-made bow to get started and also building my own bow. The hunting regs in Canada only say that a bow must be of a certain size and draw weight,it can be made of literally any material that meets those two conditions

found a few interesting vids on bow making

traditional-a good series
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_bJe4CYo-A

made from pvc pipe
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLPLh7PM2TU
    made from old skis
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wf-NV1__oL4

couple hadith to ponder,as can be seen archery is skill highly valued in Islam.

Sahih Muslim
    (52)Chapter: The virtue of Shooting and Encouragement to learn it, and criticism of the one who learns it and then forgets it(52)
    It has been narrated on the authority of Ibn Amir who said:
    I heard the Messenger of Allah (ﷺ) say-and he was delivering a sermon from the pulpit: Prepare to meet them with as much strength as you can afford. Beware, strength consists in archery. Beware, strength consists in archery. Beware, strength consists in archery

'Uqbah bin 'Amir Juhani (May Allah be pleased with him) reported:
    I heard the Messenger of Allah (ﷺ) saying, "Lands shall be laid open to you, and Allah will suffice you (against your enemies), but none of you should neglect practicing his skill in archery."

[Muslim].

(11)Chapter: What Has Been Related About The Virtue Of Archery In The Cause Of Allah(11) باب مَا جَاءَ فِي فَضْلِ الرَّمْىِ فِي سَبِيلِ اللَّهِ
    Narrated 'Abdullah bin 'Abdur-Rahman bin Abu Husain:
    That the Messenger of Allah (ﷺ) said: "Indeed, Allah will surely admit three into Paradise by a single arrow. Its maker who seeks good by his making it, the one who shoots it, and the one who holds arrows for him." And he said: "Practice archery and practice riding, and the you should practice archery is more beloved to me than that you should ride. All idle pastimes that the Muslim man engages in are falsehood, except for his shooting of his bow, his training of his horse, and his playing with his wife, for they are from truth."

'Uqbah bin 'Amir Al-Juhani (May Allah be pleased with him) reported:
    The Messenger of Allah (ﷺ) said, "He who learnt archery and then neglected it, is not from us." (Or said,) "He has been guilty of disobedience (to Messenger of Allah)."

[Muslim].

Re: Archery/bowhunting

I made a bow and single arrow in Pak using a small axe. Needed some work on the feathers as the arrow spun too much in the air - I used chicken feathers haha.

One of my relatives took it but he doesn't even know how to use it!

Comment

Archery is on my to-do list this year.

I'm afraid I don't have the arm strength yet required, so I'm going to work on my core and get fit, and go from there. More women need to be doing this, if your single, archery is a pretty sweet skill on a marriage resume...well unless it scares potentials away...

I actually saw some guy selling a bow an arrow at a red light stop, strangest thing I've seen sold on the street...was so tempted to buy it but probably crap quality, but it was my sign from Allah to go ahead and pursue this. Until lightsabers are real, I'm totally going to do archery, then ninja training...inshAllah Allah gives me a long life.

Comment

Originally posted by Abu 'Abdullaah View Post
        I made a bow and single arrow in Pak using a small axe. Needed some work on the feathers as the arrow spun too much in the air - I used chicken feathers haha.

One of my relatives took it but he doesn't even know how to use it!
        Did the bow work well?
        Depending on the type of chicken their feathers can work Ok. goose and turkey work better

good article on fletching

http://sensiblesurvival.org/2011/11/...hole-feathers/

I've used seagull feathers for fletching,worked decently well. plastic fletching always last longer though and is more durable.

Comment

I have an affinity with bows.....its very beautiful, and the commitment that one needs to put in it is amazing....I'd love to be able to practice shooting with a bow and arrow....maybe I'll get into sometime...probably I should checkout our own shooting range sometime soon, too.

Comment

Did archery once... Robin hood makes it look so easy lol, lets just say...it's not my strong area:D

Comment

Originally posted by Anthanasia View Post
              Archery is on my to-do list this year.

I'm afraid I don't have the arm strength yet required, so I'm going to work on my core and get fit, and go from there. More women need to be doing this, if your single, archery is a pretty sweet skill on a marriage resume...well unless it scares potentials away...

I actually saw some guy selling a bow an arrow at a red light stop, strangest thing I've seen sold on the street...was so tempted to buy it but probably crap quality, but it was my sign from Allah to go ahead and pursue this. Until lightsabers are real, I'm totally going to do archery, then ninja training...inshAllah Allah gives me a long life.
              you can get bows with different draw weights,from 15 up to 60 lbs usually on commercially made bows

If you make your own bow you can set the draw weight yourself. Bow making can take a bit of skill especially traditional long bows and recurves that are carved/shaved down from staves.
              You would think that because bows became obsolete when firearms were introduced that that wouldn't be many bowyers left but there is surprising quite a few around in N.America and the UK.

15-20 # is good for a beginner

this is a good starting bow available locally and nationally
              http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/ba...l#.VgSwjctViko

To be legal to hunt with in Alberta I need to have a 40# draw weight,the more draw weight the more power it delivers.

I don't know of any brothers locally than are into archery or bowhunting,I may put an ad up on the local masjid bulletin board to see if anyone does or is interested.
              Last edited by Samsandman; 25-09-15, 03:44 AM.

Comment

For the folks in the Uk I would expect there to quite a few archery clubs around,they British Isle have a long history of love for Archery. More so for war than hunting.

Here's one I pulled up that looks pretty slick and good to get your feet wet

http://www.2020archery.co.uk/

Comment

Originally posted by Samsandman View Post
                  Did the bow work well?
                  Depending on the type of chicken their feathers can work Ok. goose and turkey work better

good article on fletching

http://sensiblesurvival.org/2011/11/...hole-feathers/

I've used seagull feathers for fletching,worked decently well. plastic fletching always last longer though and is more durable.
                  It worked okay for a complete novice. I don't even know which it wood it was.

Comment

Working...
                  X