Ads by Muslim Ad Network

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is blocking certain social media websites overboard?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is blocking certain social media websites overboard?

I blocked Facebook on my computer because my timeline is full of hate, drama, backbiting, fitna, etc.
    I tried to just stop going on it but apparently I can't trust myself to stay off the website.

I don't know why but I feel like actually blocking the site would be considered going overboard.
    What's your opinion? Would you block sites you keep going on (even though you know they lead to negativity and sin)?
    “Ask forgiveness from your Lord. Indeed! He is Oft-Forgiving.” (71:10)

Re: Is blocking certain social media websites overboard?

Originally posted by SofiaG View Post
    I blocked Facebook on my computer because my timeline is full of hate, drama, backbiting, fitna, etc.
    I tried to just stop going on it but apparently I can't trust myself to stay off the website.

I don't know why but I feel like actually blocking the site would be considered going overboard.
    What's your opinion? Would you block sites you keep going on (even though you know they lead to negativity and sin)?
    maybe unlike the pages that have all that dumb stuff?

Comment

Originally posted by noobz View Post
      maybe unlike the pages that have all that dumb stuff?
      I would, but it's not pages... It's things my family has posted. Anti-Muslim posts, half naked male models, hate posts, racist posts..
      I've only got a few people as friends on there but they are just mean. I log on to read them knowing it'll make me mad.
      “Ask forgiveness from your Lord. Indeed! He is Oft-Forgiving.” (71:10)

Comment

eh, whatever floats your boat. I just have very close friends on facebook and only get stuff from pages that I like

Comment

I would, but it's not pages... It's things my family has posted. Anti-Muslim posts, half naked male models, hate posts, racist posts..
          I've only got a few people as friends on there but they are just mean. I log on to read them knowing it'll make me mad.
          u know u have the option to remain friends with ur family but unfollowing their posts so that they dont appear on ur wall.... i do that with my friends all the time cause i know they're only posting useless drivel that don't increase my brains encyclopedia ...

Comment

I recently deleted my FaceBook account and then after the required 2 weeks to actually kill it, recreated it with a new email.

This time I am friending family and real friends and declining invites from "friends of friends" that I do not know.

The misery that was on FB before wasn't from people I knew....it was from people who crept in over time because I didn't know better.

Lock down your page or start over and it might be OK.

Comment

:salams

Did the right thing. :up:

What benefit does FB have anyways, that you can't get elsewhere? Nothing really.
              Secure few moments, everyday, to reflect upon the innumerable blessings of Allah and thank Him for bestowing them upon you.

"A person who is blessed with the ability to be grateful, shall never be deprived of barakah and increase in blessings."
              - Rasulullah (صلی اللہ علیہ وسلم)‎

Comment

Originally posted by DannyBoy View Post
                I recently deleted my FaceBook account and then after the required 2 weeks to actually kill it, recreated it with a new email.

This time I am friending family and real friends and declining invites from "friends of friends" that I do not know.

The misery that was on FB before wasn't from people I knew....it was from people who crept in over time because I didn't know better.

Lock down your page or start over and it might be OK.
                u know instead of locking the previous account , u could have just unfriended people and no1 even finds out , infact change ur dp also when u unfriend them , most people don't even recognize people with different dp's.

Comment

Sounds like you just need better friends.

Comment

Facebook while having a slight amount of good in it, is a huge time-waster so I got rid of mine years ago and I never missed it. It's pretty much 90% drama/fitnah and 10% useful. There's no earthly reason to maintain and keep facebook, it's just a fast way for people to abuse your rights to privacy. I find it appalling people post pictures from their birth to yesterday and how people think it's acceptable to really view-in that much of a persons life...it's incredibly crazy to share that much information so easily...and if you don't, you know the people you are browsing do.

It's just too nosy of a program, maybe you hide all your info but in a second you can view essentially someones picked-apart life history. Which frankly isn't any of our business. The whole issue is that it displays a lot of information that really isn't anyones business to begin with.

So obviously my advice is to get rid of it, and put your time into something more useful, but that's just my viewpoint.

Comment

I personally think that text messaging whatsapp ,phonecalls and emails are stressfull enough do we really need more phone addiction in this world

Comment

its normal, not overboard
                        I don't have any, only logon via parents to check Islamic society updates for uni occasionally, so I don't miss important stuff
                        but except that, don't use, so not a biggie sis
                        And with Him are the keys of the Ghayb (all that is hidden), none knows them but He. And He knows whatever there is in the land and in the sea; not a leaf falls, but He knows it. There is not a grain in the darkness of the earth nor anything fresh or dry, but is written in a Clear Record”
                        [al-An’aam 6:59]

Comment

Working...
                        X