Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Journaling & Prompts

Assalamualaikum,
    Anyone on here do journaling? I've been doing it on and off since a few years back but trying to be more consistent.
    Its interesting because when you read what you've written there's definitely patterns. Here's a website below with some prompts if you want to get started.

Writing Prompts

What is something you dislike about yourself?
    What is something you do well?

What is your favourite room in your home and why?

What is a good neighbour?

What is the worst thing parents can do to their children?

What is your favourite time of day?

What is your idea of a dull evening?

What is the best way to treat meddlesome people?

What is something you are optimistic about?

What is something you are pessimistic about?
    17-07

Re: Journaling & Prompts

Originally posted by SheSaid View Post
    Assalamualaikum,
    Anyone on here do journaling? I've been doing it on and off since a few years back but trying to be more consistent.
    Its interesting because when you read what you've written there's definitely patterns. Here's a website below with some prompts if you want to get started.
    Walaikum as-Salam, I do journaling since my teens. It is fun (and kind of funny) looking back at how you felt about life in the past. I found it to be a good outlet. These days, I'm more interested in journaling what I do every month, like trips I take or things I'm studying. I like the Project Life format, where you print out little cards and write on them and such. It's colorful :). Thanks for the prompts; those are useful.

Comment

Originally posted by Sister_2009 View Post
      Walaikum as-Salam, I do journaling since my teens. It is fun (and kind of funny) looking back at how you felt about life in the past. I found it to be a good outlet. These days, I'm more interested in journaling what I do every month, like trips I take or things I'm studying. I like the Project Life format, where you print out little cards and write on them and such. It's colorful :). Thanks for the prompts; those are useful.
      That sounds interesting - "project life format" I will look it up, I actually have a lot of colourful cue cards and have been thinking of how to use them. You way of journaling sounds more productive, I'm definently thinking of ways to be more structured because right now its just randomn thoughts. JazakhaAllah Khair
      Last edited by SheSaid; 20-09-15, 07:28 PM.
      17-07

Comment

Assalamualaikum,
        I love journalling, but I hate diaries....I find writing about my day and frustrations a bit tiring and stressful.

I love journalling about what I feel about world events, and the world, and myself, and people around me....among other topics. When I read fiction, especially historical fiction or novel I normally end up writing or typing pages and pages about an imaginary story in my head, although I'd end up tossing the writing in the garbage once I'm done.

My brother was a fan of my writing, he always wondered why I toss it out. Unfortunately it's been many months since I did any journalling because I've been real busy (sort of) but thank you for reminding me sis, I wil ltry to get back into the habit. Writing is very therapeutic in my opinion.
        Thee do we worship, and Thine aid we seek.

Comment

I have never been consistent in journal writing unless I am stressed and need to offload for clarity which is rare. However, on my Psych course we were encouraged to keep a journal to write the patterns we notice in our behaviour, how we relate with others, connections we make back to our childhood, fears etc.
          It has been insightful to say the least.

Comment

Originally posted by Figs View Post
            I love journalling, but I hate diaries....I find writing about my day and frustrations a bit tiring and stressful.

I love journalling about what I feel about world events, and the world, and myself, and people around me....among other topics. When I read fiction, especially historical fiction or novel I normally end up writing or typing pages and pages about an imaginary story in my head, although I'd end up tossing the writing in the garbage once I'm done.

My brother was a fan of my writing, he always wondered why I toss it out. Unfortunately it's been many months since I did any journalling because I've been real busy (sort of) but thank you for reminding me sis, I wil ltry to get back into the habit. Writing is very therapeutic in my opinion.
            Make sure to keep up with your creative side, I used to read a lot post-uni but trying to start more again, would love to see one of your stories if you do start writing again iA.
            Originally posted by Khawla-Khattab View Post
            I have never been consistent in journal writing unless I am stressed and need to offload for clarity which is rare. However, on my Psych course we were encouraged to keep a journal to write the patterns we notice in our behaviour, how we relate with others, connections we make back to our childhood, fears etc.
            It has been insightful to say the least.
            that sounds like a great course, I've never taken a psych course before.
            17-07

Comment

Make sure to keep up with your creative side, I used to read a lot post-uni but trying to start more again, would love to see one of your stories if you do start writing again iA.
              that sounds like a great course, I've never taken a psych course before.
              I will post one insha allah, wallahi I had this great story about a Palestinian girl with a brother who was suffering from bipolar(or autism, forgot which) and had bullying problems....it was a nice story but I lost the document. He had school problems and he had this ongoing battle of trying to increase his confidence, make friends, all while trying to hold on to Islam...which is made more difficult with the illness, while his younger sister narrates the struggles in her family with him as a recurring character, as she herself, was very popular but found it hard to sacrifice areas of her life to pray, observe Hijab, etc, and on one event her brother breaks out into a argument with his father, who was a refugee his entire life. His dad, right after storming out of the house gets a heart attack and for years she and her brother blame themselves for his death....

Okay, maybe the story makes no sense at all, but it was like thirty pages long and just reaching the climax when I lost it....I think I just regret losing it....my cousin believes it could have been a best-seller, lol *regret*:(

Anyway, I can probably cook up another story insha allah, maybe something that can cross many problems that many people on Ummah forum post about....insha allah, problems involving the youth maybe?
              Thee do we worship, and Thine aid we seek.

Comment

Originally posted by Figs View Post
                I will post one insha allah, wallahi I had this great story about a Palestinian girl with a brother who was suffering from bipolar(or autism, forgot which) and had bullying problems....it was a nice story but I lost the document. He had school problems and he had this ongoing battle of trying to increase his confidence, make friends, all while trying to hold on to Islam...which is made more difficult with the illness, while his younger sister narrates the struggles in her family with him as a recurring character, as she herself, was very popular but found it hard to sacrifice areas of her life to pray, observe Hijab, etc, and on one event her brother breaks out into a argument with his father, who was a refugee his entire life. His dad, right after storming out of the house gets a heart attack and for years she and her brother blame themselves for his death....

Okay, maybe the story makes no sense at all, but it was like thirty pages long and just reaching the climax when I lost it....I think I just regret losing it....my cousin believes it could have been a best-seller, lol *regret*:(

Anyway, I can probably cook up another story insha allah, maybe something that can cross many problems that many people on Ummah forum post about....insha allah, problems involving the youth maybe?
                You could always re-write your previous one though 30 pages is a lot it seems like you know the plot pretty well.
                17-07

Comment

Working...
                X