Failed first year of uni, really disappointed in myself

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Failed first year of uni, really disappointed in myself

I failed one module at uni and have been told I have to leave, and cant repeat the year either. I just feel really disappointed in myself, if I want to go back I have to wait a year and apply to another course, or apply to another uni now and enter for this year, but I feel like this university is right for me and offers many opportunities. I failed the module because it relies on A Level maths knowledge which I did not do and I really struggled with the module as a result of this, the university didnt even tell me we would need a level maths knowledge. Now my whole year has been wasted and i dont know what to do, i feel really low
    Any advice? What do you think I should do?

Re: Failed first year of uni, really disappointed in myself

Originally posted by QuietYetHappy View Post
    I failed one module at uni and have been told I have to leave, and cant repeat the year either. I just feel really disappointed in myself, if I want to go back I have to wait a year and apply to another course, or apply to another uni now and enter for this year, but I feel like this university is right for me and offers many opportunities. I failed the module because it relies on A Level maths knowledge which I did not do and I really struggled with the module as a result of this, the university didnt even tell me we would need a level maths knowledge. Now my whole year has been wasted and i dont know what to do, i feel really low
    Any advice? What do you think I should do?
    I don't know the university system where you live, so it sounds a bit strange to be.

But anyway, just keep in mind that there are worse things out there to worry about. At least you're healthy (I hope), and still living.
    I understand being a bit worried, but don't let it divert your focus. You can't change the past; what's done is done. Now work towards accomplishing whatever dream or goal you had planned.
    Don't let the past destroy your future because if you do, you'd be this much sad or worse if similar thing happens tomorrow because your focus was off.
    Stay focused.

Wish you the best.
    You can do this!
    In shaa Allah.
    *"None of you truly believes until he loves for his brother what he loves for himself."* [Al-Bukhari & Muslim]
    "Mindless are those who only jump when told to jump, cry when told to cry, and laugh when told to laugh. Indeed, they are but sheep." TheStrivingUmmi

Comment

Qadar is beautiful, there may be a wisdom about why this happened to you that Allah (swt) knows but we do not. Allah (swt) sees and knows everything, and if He wanted you to continue university nothing could stop that from happening. If you are not continuing it's because Allah (swt) has other plans for you.

I know that you are upset, maybe beyond upset...which is understandable since you thought life would go in this direction, now it's changing directions fast. Be upset, complain to Allah to show you what you should be doing if it's not this. Allah (swt) has glorious and wonderful plans, but sometimes we aren't doing exactly what is good/or what He intends for us and we need to accept that whatever Allah (swt) plans is really truly what's best. Give yourself time to grieve over this, stay close with Allah because He is trying to tell you something, and then get excited because Allah knows what exactly will happen to you, maybe you will be doing 100 X better this time next year with something else.

I wanted to be a doctor, spent years working in hospitals and a medic, but the doors were always closed for me being a doctor. I made so much du'aa, I tried to push but Allah's will is unbreakable. I was sad, my dreams of being a doctor were over...but I ended up accepting that Allah (swt) has something really good, even better for me. Now I'm working on being a professor, which was a deep down dream I had in my soul that I never actually even said to myself...

Allah (swt) is calling for you to change, and to stay clear of something...be sad, give yourself some time, and then prepare yourself for whatever Allahs plans will be.

Comment

Originally posted by Anthanasia View Post
        Qadar is beautiful, there may be a wisdom about why this happened to you that Allah (swt) knows but we do not. Allah (swt) sees and knows everything, and if He wanted you to continue university nothing could stop that from happening. If you are not continuing it's because Allah (swt) has other plans for you.

I know that you are upset, maybe beyond upset...which is understandable since you thought life would go in this direction, now it's changing directions fast. Be upset, complain to Allah to show you what you should be doing if it's not this. Allah (swt) has glorious and wonderful plans, but sometimes we aren't doing exactly what is good/or what He intends for us and we need to accept that whatever Allah (swt) plans is really truly what's best. Give yourself time to grieve over this, stay close with Allah because He is trying to tell you something, and then get excited because Allah knows what exactly will happen to you, maybe you will be doing 100 X better this time next year with something else.

I wanted to be a doctor, spent years working in hospitals and a medic, but the doors were always closed for me being a doctor. I made so much du'aa, I tried to push but Allah's will is unbreakable. I was sad, my dreams of being a doctor were over...but I ended up accepting that Allah (swt) has something really good, even better for me. Now I'm working on being a professor, which was a deep down dream I had in my soul that I never actually even said to myself...

Allah (swt) is calling for you to change, and to stay clear of something...be sad, give yourself some time, and then prepare yourself for whatever Allahs plans will be.
        Thats what i would tell you aswell.

Life isn't success always and we should except our failures and accept them by Allah there is something awaiting you which can be much better!
        My cooking Youtube channel:
        https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvc...UgRZfc4r8YJ0iQ

Don't abuse your body just to feel good, use your body right and you'll feel better - Sparty

Comment

How can you fail the first year of Uni? Even I passed that.

Don't you get an opportunity to resit the module or elements of it to bring your mark up?

Bit late now but usually you can spot your weak areas throughout the year and then work to rectify. Maybe it's for the best :insha:, I would imagine future years would be tougher.

Comment

a level maths?

sounds like computer science subject to me.

Comment

forget about it. wasn't meant to be. I failed a unit in first year too in my second semester. we had the option to continue though and repeat the unit. I don't know how your uni system works. anyway, I dropped out and had more time to focus on learning islam. detailed learning of seerah and hifz and tafsir and arabic. originally I had the intention to just take one year off. Allah had a different plan. I got thirsty for islamic knowledge and never returned to university. Chose to be a home maker and use my time at home.
              take the year off if you need to before you can apply again and focus on something else, learn a skill like learning to see or knit or something, or focus on islamic knowledge.

as they say.... you can't cry over spilled milk. whats done is done and use the extra time you have wisely
              Falling over toys....

Comment

That's strange. They usually allow you to retake a module when you're in your first year, especially because it either doesn't count towards your final grade or only counts as 10%.

Is there no way you can speak to the uni and ask them to allow you to retake it as it's just one module or resit the year there? Maybe you'll be allowed to appeal there decision...

If not, it's definitely not the end of the world! There are plenty of good uni's that will take you and don't see the year as a waste I'm sure you learnt a lot and it'll be easier the next time round.

Comment

Speak to a programme manager or someone who can help you onto a less maths based course. Be quick, a lot of universities have induction next week.
                  Try clearing.

Why do you feel your current university is right for you?
                  Oh Allah,
                  Make me want that which is beneficial for me...
                  And make beneficial for me that which I want.

Comment

Failed first year of uni, really disappointed in myself

Salaams
                    Right my dear sister, firstly its strange they dont let you resit. Secondly, okay if thats policy make Istikhaara and think about what u wanna do too. SO many options. Other unis and courses. Other options not uni related..apprenticeships, work etc. Also the best one yet..an Islamic course like an Aalimah. Insha ' Allah. if they have one in ur town/nearby. I would like to but they dont have one nearby for me.

Either way girly its all good n its meant to be. Trust me,chin up. Summat better instore for u dear! I know its hard to think like that right now, but Insha ' Allah. Have faith and watch what happens..
                    And totally update this thread when u decided
                    Insha ' Allah it works out.x
                    And with Him are the keys of the Ghayb (all that is hidden), none knows them but He. And He knows whatever there is in the land and in the sea; not a leaf falls, but He knows it. There is not a grain in the darkness of the earth nor anything fresh or dry, but is written in a Clear Record”
                    [al-An’aam 6:59]

Comment

Working...
                    X