Ads by Muslim Ad Network

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is showing emotion normal among your family?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is showing emotion normal among your family?

It's totally abnormal in mine that's for sure. I'm interested to see if it's like this in other families. I personally dont understand it.
    Yes, it's no big deal.
    10.00%
    Sometimes, it's not common but not too weird either
    40.00%
    :embar:
    50.00%
    Last edited by hadmatter; 17-09-15, 03:31 AM.
    Allah sent down his tranquillity upon him and supported him with angels you did not see and made the word of those who disbelieved the lowest, while the word of Allah - that is the highest. And Allah is Exalted in Might and Wise.

Re: Is showing emotion normal among your family?

what do you mean by 'abnormal'? how so..
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by .Hajar. View Post
      what do you mean by 'abnormal'? how so..
      As in not normal. recently I saw a video about saying I love you to muslim parents, and it had me thinking about this

Edit: I think I got what you're asking now. I meant saying anything overly mushy, or crying, or telling someone you love them etc, that kind of stuff. people make others feel uncomfortable due to their own discomfort.
      Allah sent down his tranquillity upon him and supported him with angels you did not see and made the word of those who disbelieved the lowest, while the word of Allah - that is the highest. And Allah is Exalted in Might and Wise.

Comment

by that definition i was abnormal until recently, i have done a complete 180 though..and not by choice, circumstances/situations often affect your behavior and mannerisms

and yes, my family is normal in that regard
        sigpic

Comment

Salaams sister,
          This is an interesting question actually, and I guess my family is both ways about it. Again one needs to define emotion, because that's confusing in itself. But then again I'm assuming you don't mean like internal emotion, as the majority of us love our family like crazy anyway. Alhamudulillah.
          So this is outward emotion right? Well it depends, like we only really hug and kiss etc when going somewhere like overnight, and I don't really think we say I love you to each other. But then again I cant imagine us doing that, and we already know it internally. And same with relatives, the hugging and kissing when greeting. Except with younger cousins, nieces, nephews, babies, hug and kiss them more, but then their younger so it seems the norm to do so. So yeah.. I don't even know what I'm going on about anymore lol so I'll stop.
          And with Him are the keys of the Ghayb (all that is hidden), none knows them but He. And He knows whatever there is in the land and in the sea; not a leaf falls, but He knows it. There is not a grain in the darkness of the earth nor anything fresh or dry, but is written in a Clear Record”
          [al-An’aam 6:59]

Comment

Originally posted by .Hajar. View Post
            by that definition i was abnormal until recently, i have done a complete 180 though..and not by choice, circumstances/situations often affect your behavior and mannerisms

and yes, my family is normal in that regard
            I dont think that behavior is abnormal. (Either one ,to each their own really) I meant the presence (of emotional type stuff) is abnormal in my family

Comment

i got it
              sigpic

Comment

we are very unemotional people

Comment

Being nice to your own family is the hardest thing to do for me sadly

Comment

My family, never hold hands, hug, kiss, tell each other they love each other etc etc

My in laws do all of the above and more.

I don't think neither way is normal/abnormal. I consider both families pretty functional in their own way.
                    https://sufisticated101.wordpress.com

Comment

We aren't an emotional bunch overall, but in some situations we all get a bit emotional. If I hear someone crying in the house I don't know what to do tbh and if I was to go talk to them it would make me uncomfortable.

We are more practical in the sense that if someone needs help, we will be there for each other. Personally I prefer that, unless I ask for emotional support which I don't really. I prefer to have reliability than people telling me they love me all the time.

Comment

We are encouraged to let out any feelings or emotions we have, but for some reason I feel uncomfortable doing this with anyone, I just keep everything bottled inside me. I guess its because i feel like they wont understand or take me seriously, or they`ll blame it all on me being quiet and introverted :(

Comment

Asalamucalaykum my dear sister, hadamatter

Its absolutely fine to tell your family you love them and I would encourage you to do so. When you give your a mother a kiss and hugg her,that id a moment to cherish. One day you will look back and say,I wish i did more of that.
                          Ya Allah,
                          Make me a stronger person today. Make me a better person out of all these. It is no longer bearable for me for my heart is aching and You are the only One who knows how I feel. Nothing is making sense to myself and for anyone else for that matter especially to the one person I wish to understand me better than anybody else.
                          "Don't use the sharpness of your tongue on the mother who taught you how to speak

Comment

I don't agree with keeping things bottled up...in my parent's house, emotions weren't expressed much, or not as much as I think they should have been.

In my own, I encourage it, because I believe it helps with closeness, trust and bonding. I want my family to be able to turn to each other, rather than to strangers. Plus it's sunnah, look at how the Prophet (saws) interacted with his family.

Your kids will remember it as they get older and know they can express themselves fully.

It's a lot more than just emotion in a vacuum,. Expressing and talking about feelings can help to discover things about ourselves, help solve problems etc.

It's up to adults to initiate it.
                            Last edited by Umm_Hanzalah; 18-09-15, 04:01 AM.
                            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZVEydn3RKk

Comment

muslims show their love by looking after parents, listening to them. respecting them, making dua for them etc and not the kuffar way of saying lots of I love u and sticking them in an old persons home as soon as their 60!

Comment

Working...
                              X