Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Halal slaughter of Rabbits?

Salam alaikum

Well it's slaughter time for my rabbits,they are 10 weeks old and in prime condition. I've checked them everyday,fed them well(top quality 18% protein organic feed plus handpicked greens),kept them watered,spoken gently to them everyday and now it's time to stock the freezer for winter.

Me and my neighbour were going to slaughter them this afternoon. I sought his advice as he has slaughtered sheep halal before and I have never slaughtered halal before. We ran into a problem.Rabbits don't lay on their side naturally so you can't lay them on their side and keep them calm to slaughter as you do with cows ,sheep or goats. Once they are off their feet they panic and try to right themselves immediately.

I suggested we hold the ears over the eyes and stretch the head back will it was in it's natural sitting position so the animal stays calm and slit the throat like that. Once the animal starts bleeding to hold it by it's back legs and body over a basin so we don't get blood all over the garage as rabbits tend to kick after they are killed(just nerves)

Any suggestions on the best way to slaughter a rabbit halal? Anyone her slaughtered a rabbit and how?

Traditional way I was taught to kill a rabbit(as a kafir) was to break the neck as that is the easiest way and quick but that doesn't count as halal.

Also we got into a debate about the position of the cut,he insist that the cut must be made over the adams apple I said it doesn't matter as long as the carotid artery,jugular vein and trachea are all severed. Any thought son this as well.

This is really important as I need to stock up for winter but want to do it in the correct manner.
    Thank you

Re: Halal slaughter of Rabbits?

I thought I would get a least one response.

Nobody sacrifices and slaughters for the sake of ALLAH anymore? Nobody wants wants barakah in their meals? Nobody wants barakah in ther marriage?Nobody wants barakah for their children?
    I find that really sad.

I'm going to go ahead with the best of intentions and do my best according to what I know.

Comment

I think the vast majority of people here have never slaughtered an animal before.

Have a look at this...it's quite interesting.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vc5BWafzEu4
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZVEydn3RKk

Comment

I watch all three parts of that as part of my research. He show mostly sheep But I believe I saw a goat done as well.Very good series of videos, I was impressed

What a long day it has been. I was up early and went a bought a knife and sharpener. Made sure the knife was sharp for the first kit and resharpened it between rabbits.

I found I had to use alot of pressure to get through the fur as my rabbits have dense fur. The first on I did I just made a small cut in the skin and then immediately tried again and got a good cut in.
        I felt so horrible! I immediatley made taubah and asked ALLAH to forgive me and help me get it right. the rabbit didn't seem to be in pain and didn't scream which shocked me. All the rest of them(6 after that one) I Did perfectly. My neigbour came out as I was slaughtering and watched me do the last 5. He was happy with my technique so that was reassuring.

took me 5 hours to skin and git them all and now they are soaking in brine to clean and tenderize. I;m going to butcher them into cuts tomorrow Morning. This will really help me financially this winter as the price of meat has reisen quit a bit in y area in the last two years. I figure I have over 20 lbs of meat and it didn't really cost me anything. Not a lot compared to what a sheep or cow yields but I raised those kits from birth and cared for them daily all summer.

It was a great experience. The rain fell,the forage grew, I went harvested the forage. I bred the rabbit,the kits were born,they grew on the forage I collected and now I have food all thanks ALLAH.

Comment

I take it you've done this before when you weren't Muslim. Did the rabbits react differently?
          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZVEydn3RKk

Comment

why does rabbit meat smell like a petshop?

Comment

umm Hanzalah,yes they most certainly do act differently,whether the are shot in the head or have their necks broken which is the most common method in the west of dispatching meat rabbits,they stop kicking a lot quicker. Some don't kick much at all when the necks are broken. the first one really shocked me how much it kicked,I know it's just the nerves firing but when they are bleeding it can get a little messy and traumatic if your not used to it. Theres lots of videos on youtube that show you how to dispatch a rabbit and 90% break the neck in some fashion the rest use a gun.

I held them over a rubbermaid tote by the back legs to catch the blood and let the heart and gravity get all of the blood out as i was doing it inside a garage and didn't want to get blood everywhere. It worked really well.

I'm in the process of butchering them all tonight,got four done so far. I had them in the fridge overnight in a brine solution to tenderize them. I'm taking my time and try to do a good job and be clean. I think I stated earlier they were 9 weeks old,I was wrong they are just under 12. For frying rabbits you harvest between 8-10 weeks to maximize on feed and space. They tend to get tough after 4 or 5 months as they get sexually mature and almost full grown and become "stewing" rabbits. The mother will be used for stew and jerky.

AhlulQuran88,Good question and I don't know the exact answer but the meat of an animal tends to smell and taste like it's food. My rabbits ate hay and alfalfa and have that smell to their meat.
              I've eaten deer that lived in the pine forest and it had a piney smell/taste to it and deer that was from hardwood forest/corn fields and it had a "grainy" taste to it. Ducks,especially diving ducks tend to have a bit of fishy taste. Canada geese that graze in the wheat/corn fields taste different than Geese that tend to feed in the water. The bison/buffalo I've eaten that was grass fed had a "hay" taste to them. I was really surprised about grass fed bison,the gravy smell just like a hay-bale.

The smell is mostly in the fat for some reason,not sure the scientific reason for that either.
              Last edited by Samsandman; 07-09-15, 06:18 AM. Reason: I am stew ped when typing

Comment

Originally posted by Samsandman View Post

AhlulQuran88,Good question and I don't know the exact answer but the meat of an animal tends to smell and taste like it's food. My rabbits ate hay and alfalfa and have that smell to their meat.
                I've eaten deer that lived in the pine forest and it had a piney smell/taste to it and deer that was from hardwood forest/corn fields and it had a "grainy" taste to it. Ducks,especially diving ducks tend to have a bit of fishy taste. Canada geese that graze in the wheat/corn fields taste different than Geese that tend to feed in the water. The bison/buffalo I've eaten that was grass fed had a "hay" taste to them. I was really surprised about grass fed bison,the gravy smell just like a hay-bale.

The smell is mostly in the fat for some reason,not sure the scientific reason for that either.
                Any reason why you don't hunt for moose or elk if you are situated in North America? I would make a lot more sense i assume to hunt an elk,a moose or two deer a year as opposed to raising rabbits. It would be enough meat for a whole year and some more.

Also i believe that animals that have grazed on thousands of various plants have far better tasting meat. The camel meat in Saudi Arabia tastes very dry and grainy because they feed them grains and imported alfafa but in Ethiopia and Somalia they are herded across hundreds of miles of savanna tastes very succulent ,gamy and lean..

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	wabbit.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	204.2 KB
ID:	10758677

I just fired the shotgun and someone else caught and slaughtered it...

Comment

Poor cute rabbits, I hope you didn't make them suffer :/
                    Gone with the wind.

Comment

AhlulQuran die to my health I don't drive. so hunting large game isn't really feasible. I would much prefer to hunt wild game than eat domestic animals but it's juts not doable in my situation. I know of a brother who goes out for deer every year and I'm going to offer to take part and take care of all the camp duties and butchering in exchange for some meat. I'm hoping to talk to him in the next couple weeks.

I was picking lots of extra greens for my rabbits like dandelion flowers,dandelion leaves,sweet clover,colts foot,lambs quarters,timothy and brome hay as well as feeding them commercial organic rabbit pellets. I liked to go out just after it rain and gather up forage as your absolutely right animals benefit just like humans from variety in their diet.

your so right about graze animals being better tasting than feedlot animals. Alot of the beef cattle here is feedlot where they feed grains to get the animals up to market size in a smaller area. Cows and many other animals don't eat much grain naturally so it's an artificial diet for sure. It's a profit driven practice. there's a free range/organic movement going on now which I like to support as it does produce a finer meat. The free range bison I've had is miles ahead of feedlot beef cattle.

Abu Abdullaah nice work! Nothing like bringing home the meat! It's what separates the men from the boys. I can send any child to the store with a few dollars to buy food but Real Men can go out and hunt it down.

Rebel101 I tried to provide my rabbits with the best ,most stress free life I possibly could. I spoke kind words to them everyday,gave them time to run around the back yard and play,sheltered them from the elements,gave them the best food I could get. I never abused them or mistreated them in any way as I truely cared for them. I slaughtered them with Mercy and in ALLAH'S name. even as I brought them into the garage for slaughter I was petting them and saying kind words to them to make sure they were calm and at peace until their final moment.

To me raising them and slaughtering them was an act of worship and I took it very seriously. You can get rewarded for being kind and merciful to animals or thrown in the hellfire for being cruel. In my opinion to many people view animals as "things" and not as living cratures with souls that can and will testify for or against you on judgement day.We all need to remember that.

ALLAH put rabbits on this earth as food for other animals,whole ecosytems are dependent on rabbits as everything likes to eat rabbits.Hawks,crows,snakes,skunks,weasels,raccoon, badgers,bobcat,coyote wolves,cougars,bears and humans,all the predators where I live eat rabbits as they are delicious,nutritious and plentiful.

Comment

Poor little bunny rabbits. :(

Samsandman just wondering did you feel any attachment or love for them as you raised them from when they were little? Did you name them?
                        Did you feel even a teeny bit sad as you slaughtered them?
                        If you did surely it raises the value of your act of worship in sha Allah. May Allah accept it from you.
                        How do you think you'll feel when you eat them?

Really I think this is such a key difference between men and women. If this was left up to women I think we'd break down crying let the animal walk away and live off fruits and veg.

Comment

Originally posted by TCKMuslima View Post
                          Poor little bunny rabbits. :(

Samsandman just wondering did you feel any attachment or love for them as you raised them from when they were little? Did you name them?
                          Did you feel even a teeny bit sad as you slaughtered them?
                          If you did surely it raises the value of your act of worship in sha Allah. May Allah accept it from you.
                          How do you think you'll feel when you eat them?

Really I think this is such a key difference between men and women. If this was left up to women I think we'd break down crying let the animal walk away and live off fruits and veg.
                          Not really. A lot of women hunt and kill or slaughter farm animals.
                          Fabi-ayyiala -i rabbikuma tukaththibani
                          Then which of the favors of your Lord will ye deny?
                          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vr8DR8frP_s

You are not here just to fill space or to be a background character in someone else's movie. Consider this: nothing would be the same if you did not exist. Every place you have ever been and everyone you have ever spoken to would be different without you. We are all connected, and we are all affected by the decisions and even the existence of those around us.

Comment

Originally posted by nousername View Post
                            Not really. A lot of women hunt and kill or slaughter farm animals.
                            You know I was going to add "Most women" for responses like yours lol.

I knew someone would say this.
                            I'm saying it know.

Most women would find it hard.

Comment

"It's the lionesses' job to do the hunting."

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X