Ads by Muslim Ad Network

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do I stop listening to music? Please help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do I stop listening to music? Please help!

Asslamualakum,
    I know that in Islam listening to music is haram, plus I notice when I start listening to music it starts to make me think of haram things. I am not going to lie I usually like listening to music especially when I work out it. It gets worse when I hear a song while I am in grocery stores or the mall. But now I sincerely want to stop listening to this, I want to break this bad habit! The question is how can I stop listening to music? Its everywhere I go! From the stores, to the malls, television, and computers. Can anyone give me some advice on how to break this bad habit? I would really appreciate it! Jazak Allah Khayiroon!

Re: How do I stop listening to music? Please help!

wa alaikum salam rahmatulah wa barakatu
    alhamdulilah i quit music after watching this vid
    i know its long but probably the best lecture on the subject
    The sunnah is like the ark of Noah, whoever embarks upon it reaches salvation and whoever refuses is drowned.
    ~ Imam Malik (may Allah have mercy on him)

Comment

First thing you must do is to try not to let it stress you out, admittedly I to listen music too occasionally whenever I feel the urge but usually it's mostly music of substance like Islamic nasheeds and out of sentimental nostalgia like 80's and 90's music (and a few not so nice ones in hip hop, punk and some hard rock and heavy metal). I listen to a wide variety of music from all over the world even in languages I'm not fluent in nor completely understand lol and I have a special affection for African music for obvious reasons. Gradually as I get older I find myself losing interest in wanting to actively listen to music so just take your time and don't force yourself because you'll only crave it more. Eventually you'll lose the desire to listen to music but you can start by choosing what you prefer then limiting it to that music until you get tired of it. In my opinion most of today's music really sucks a lot of it being full of nonsense and stupidity, especially in hip hop and rap but I guess that's a generational perspective.
      Last edited by @fedayeen; 02-09-15, 01:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by shant101 View Post
        Asslamualakum,
        I know that in Islam listening to music is haram, plus I notice when I start listening to music it starts to make me think of haram things. I am not going to lie I usually like listening to music especially when I work out it. It gets worse when I hear a song while I am in grocery stores or the mall. But now I sincerely want to stop listening to this, I want to break this bad habit! The question is how can I stop listening to music? Its everywhere I go! From the stores, to the malls, television, and computers. Can anyone give me some advice on how to break this bad habit? I would really appreciate it! Jazak Allah Khayiroon!
        Admittedly I have a big problem with music too. I listen to it on the bus, when I exercise and sometimes before bed when I cant sleep. I'd recommend deleting any music you have, either on your phone or laptop.

You can't really avoid the outside music unless you want to wear earplugs ? Or you could put some nasheeds, lecture or something like that on you phone and listen to that instead; it'll block out the outside noises at the mall, stores etc. Or even an educational audio book if you're into that ? I have a small collection on my laptop which I'd like to transfer to my phone to substitute for the music.

Comment

If you're using a personal device then look for the 'off' button aka 'power button;. Instant results!

Comment

Working...
          X