How should a mosque be run?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How should a mosque be run?

There was a mosque in the area that had a scholar that was loved by most. He studied in Al-Azhar and changed a lot of the wrong things they were doing in the mosque, like singing and dancing. He speaks 5 languages: Arabic, English, Urdu, Farsi, and another one I can't remember. Recently, he was forced out by the board in the mosque. They would not let me create any kind of change or run things the way he sees fit and tried to control his every move.

In the mosque I attend there is no board. Our scholar runs everything on his own. There was a fight between him and member of the community where the member yelled at the scholar and said, "This is not your mosque." The scholar called him the next day and said, "I did not want to respond to you in front of all the people watching and say this is my mosque."

I was talking with another gentlemen that said he thinks a board is necessary, but in the end there should be one person in charge of/can override any decision.

Is there a set way a mosque should be run or do you all have opinions?

Re: How should a mosque be run?

First of all why not Masjid ?It is a Quranic word universally understood.A masjid should be run by an enlightened ,knowledgeable administrator in both religious and secular matters.As we are all limited,this administrator should also have an open mind as regards criticism and suggestions from fellow administrators.

Comment

Re: How should a mosque be run?

Originally posted by newmuslimguy View Post
      There was a mosque in the area that had a scholar that was loved by most. He studied in Al-Azhar and changed a lot of the wrong things they were doing in the mosque, like singing and dancing. He speaks 5 languages: Arabic, English, Urdu, Farsi, and another one I can't remember. Recently, he was forced out by the board in the mosque. They would not let me create any kind of change or run things the way he sees fit and tried to control his every move.

In the mosque I attend there is no board. Our scholar runs everything on his own. There was a fight between him and member of the community where the member yelled at the scholar and said, "This is not your mosque." The scholar called him the next day and said, "I did not want to respond to you in front of all the people watching and say this is my mosque."

I was talking with another gentlemen that said he thinks a board is necessary, but in the end there should be one person in charge of/can override any decision.

Is there a set way a mosque should be run or do you all have opinions?
      The scholar did a great job in calling the person the next day privately instead of openly debating. It seems that the scholar is wise.
      In addition to this, he should have people listen to him, and become his close companions for the sake of Allah swt, who help him in the decisions related to community well being.

Comment

Working...
      X