What is the Shariah Law?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is the Shariah Law?

Yes, what is the Shariah Law in its pure form? What IS actually Shariah?

I'm tired of searching for it and finding people's subjective interpretations of it.

Anyways, what is it? I don't want to learn Shariah Law through another's view and interpretation.
    La ilaha illallahu, wahdahu la sharika lahu, lahul-mulku wa lahul-hamdu, wa Huwa 'ala kulli sha'in Qadir
    (there is no true god except Allah. He is One and He has no partner with Him; His is the sovereignty and His is the praise, and He is Omnipotent),'
    Do not say about Allah but Truth.

Re: What is the Shariah Law?

Originally posted by Serinity View Post
    Yes, what is the Shariah Law in its pure form? What IS actually Shariah?

I'm tired of searching for it and finding people's subjective interpretations of it.

Anyways, what is it? I don't want to learn Shariah Law through another's view and interpretation.
    I don't understand your question. Understanding the definition of Sharia law is different to learning everything about it. Sharia law is the perfect law of the universe

Comment

Originally posted by newmuslimguy View Post
      I don't understand your question. Understanding the definition of Sharia law is different to learning everything about it. Sharia law is the perfect law of the universe
      I know it is Allah SWT's law and commandments etc.
      :jkk: for the information.
      I'd like to learn more about the shariah law, that is what I want.
      Because certainly it isn't like how the media portrays it.
      La ilaha illallahu, wahdahu la sharika lahu, lahul-mulku wa lahul-hamdu, wa Huwa 'ala kulli sha'in Qadir
      (there is no true god except Allah. He is One and He has no partner with Him; His is the sovereignty and His is the praise, and He is Omnipotent),'

Comment

I know it is Allah SWT's law and commandments etc.
        :jkk: for the information.
        I'd like to learn more about the shariah law, that is what I want.
        Because certainly it isn't like how the media portrays it.
        The only way to learn about Sharia law is to find a respectable scholar and learn from him/her directly. For most people that is not an option, unfortunately, but that's really the only true way. Find a reputable scholar to learn from online or Youtube is the next best thing, but it is a verry distant second. I saw this because it is very easy to find misinformation online. I don't know what else to tell you, there isn't really a good answer. I always swear by Yasir Qadhi on Youtube though; all of his lectures are excellent and his seerah of the Prophet PBUH series is amazing!

Comment

There is no book called shariah law..it is taken from the Quran and sunnah..I guess the judge or caliph has the final rule when a punishment is set..
          Women lost their modesty when men lost their gheerah..” .

Comment

The only way to learn about Sharia law is to find a respectable scholar and learn from him/her directly. For most people that is not an option, unfortunately, but that's really the only true way. Find a reputable scholar to learn from online or Youtube is the next best thing, but it is a verry distant second. I saw this because it is very easy to find misinformation online. I don't know what else to tell you, there isn't really a good answer. I always swear by Yasir Qadhi on Youtube though; all of his lectures are excellent and his seerah of the Prophet PBUH series is amazing!
            I see. You can't trust the net, since you can't trust the one who writes about shariah. I'm sure if carried out correctly, the shariah will be great.
            Originally posted by shay5 View Post
            There is no book called shariah law..it is taken from the Quran and sunnah..I guess the judge or caliph has the final rule when a punishment is set..
            I see. But the normal citizen has no rights to carry out laws like cutting people's hands for stealing?
            And here a question arises, in Shariah Law, does the thief get his hand cut, first time caught?
            Will the thief get his hands cut by stealing from a store with sweets? How grave should the stealing be before carrying out the punishment?

What is Islam's view on carrying out punishments? Surely it is not "one time = punishment"
            Surely if one amends, and gives the stolen thing back, and repents, isn't that another way? How does Islam operate in regards to these cases?
            I'm sure The Prophet's (SAW) way is the best. And according to the Quran we should obey Allah SWT (obviously) and the Prophet SAW.

I can't see how one can get his hand cut by stealing. I know probably that in the hereafter the punishment will be worse.
            All I'm saying, is the punishment a last resort, in regards to the severity of the crime?

I know stealing can't be done unintentionally. But what if it was like someone in need? Well that won't happen since in Shariah Law (as far as I know) it is required for everyone to have support, etc. If they are in need.

I'm aware that you may not be able to answer these questions, and that is fine. :)
            Last edited by Serinity; 11-06-15, 10:19 PM.

Comment

I see. You can't trust the net, since you can't trust the one who writes about shariah. I'm sure if carried out correctly, the shariah will be great.

I see. But the normal citizen has no rights to carry out laws like cutting people's hands for stealing?
              And here a question arises, in Shariah Law, does the thief get his hand cut, first time caught?
              Will the thief get his hands cut by stealing from a store with sweets? How grave should the stealing be before carrying out the punishment?

What is Islam's view on carrying out punishments? Surely it is not "one time = punishment"
              Surely if one amends, and gives the stolen thing back, and repents, isn't that another way? How does Islam operate in regards to these cases?
              I'm sure The Prophet's (SAW) way is the best. And according to the Quran we should obey Allah SWT (obviously) and the Prophet SAW.

I can't see how one can get his hand cut by stealing. I know probably that in the hereafter the punishment will be worse.
              All I'm saying, is the punishment a last resort, in regards to the severity of the crime?

I know stealing can't be done unintentionally. But what if it was like someone in need? Well that won't happen since in Shariah Law (as far as I know) it is required for everyone to have support, etc. If they are in need.

I'm aware that you may not be able to answer these questions, and that is fine. :)
              Your issue is you are assuming Islam is absolute, and it's not. The severe punishments in Islam, like cutting one's hand off, is based on many conditions. I have never heard of a time under a Caliph where people hands were being cut off left and right? Let me ask a questions. We know in America a lot of theft goes on. Is it your impression that if somehow overnight America was ruled by Sharia law that the Caliph would just start cutting off everyone's hands that stole anything? Seems like that would cause a backlash pretty quick and I have never heard of a time where people felt oppressed under Sharia law. You cannot take one thing you heard and extrapolate it to every possible scenario, that's why there is so much emphasis on the Caliph having the greatest understanding of Islam and using that knowledge to spread love and peace.

Punishments anywhere you go are not great. Many may not agree with me, but if I had to choose between getting my hand cut off and being thrown in a small cell like an animal to live for years away from society. Eating terrible meals everyday, living with other criminals, feeling lonely, being treated like less than human, being made to work like a slave for literally pocket change. Living with the fear I may be raped and beaten in prison. And then when I am released I can't get a regular ob, I can't vote, people will always look at me like a criminal. My health would have also deteriorated. I would not be 100% mentally, I may feel depressed, suicidal, I may become lonely and not ever learn to deal with it, and all this is affecting my physical health. I'm sure I will have problems eating, sleeping, being social, etc.

You can have both my hands....

Comment

Shar'iah literally means "path to water." Knowing the linguistic meaning of the word is very important because it sets the backdrop for how Muslims view Shar'iah. Remember, Islam first developed in a desert environment. Your life literally revolved around knowing where the water was located. And so the word Shar'iah invokes the image of being the path to life.
                This goes into enough detail to understand the gist of it: http://www.reddit.com/r/AskReddit/co..._exactly_does/

Comment

Your issue is you are assuming Islam is absolute, and it's not. The severe punishments in Islam, like cutting one's hand off, is based on many conditions. I have never heard of a time under a Caliph where people hands were being cut off left and right? Let me ask a questions. We know in America a lot of theft goes on. Is it your impression that if somehow overnight America was ruled by Sharia law that the Caliph would just start cutting off everyone's hands that stole anything? Seems like that would cause a backlash pretty quick and I have never heard of a time where people felt oppressed under Sharia law. You cannot take one thing you heard and extrapolate it to every possible scenario, that's why there is so much emphasis on the Caliph having the greatest understanding of Islam and using that knowledge to spread love and peace.

Punishments anywhere you go are not great. Many may not agree with me, but if I had to choose between getting my hand cut off and being thrown in a small cell like an animal to live for years away from society. Eating terrible meals everyday, living with other criminals, feeling lonely, being treated like less than human, being made to work like a slave for literally pocket change. Living with the fear I may be raped and beaten in prison. And then when I am released I can't get a regular ob, I can't vote, people will always look at me like a criminal. My health would have also deteriorated. I would not be 100% mentally, I may feel depressed, suicidal, I may become lonely and not ever learn to deal with it, and all this is affecting my physical health. I'm sure I will have problems eating, sleeping, being social, etc.

You can have both my hands....
                  Well. I'm aware I might have insufficient knowledge regarding this subject. I'd be happy to live under the Shariah Law 100% taking into account that the Caliph is a God fearing, etc. And that does not view himself as more important.

What I mean, for Shariah Law to exist peacefully, the Caliphate has to be God fearing. Abiding to Allah SWT's commandments, etc.

Lets have a scenario of one stealing:

Person A: Walks into a store and steals some money and food etc.
                  Next morning the state gets to know this etc. And more regarding the case.
                  Person A gets sent to court.
                  And I don't know how this is put into practice, but I can't see the government cut his hand without sufficient proof, and the reason why.
                  Knowing Allah SWT: The Shariah Law has Mercy, understanding, reasoning etc.
                  Person A steals because of the predicament he was in.
                  Now of course I know in Shariah Law everyone will be taken care of. The one who is unable to work will get support by the government etc.
                  The one with no money and unable to work will get sufficient money to live.

If someone steals in ignorance (maybe out of a predicament)
                  But this can't be since, from the little knowledge that I have at the moment. Everyone will be taken care of, no injustice will be done. Thus the act of stealing won't be there, because everything is handled with justice, etc. But despite that, still steals out of ignorance, and then repents sincerely. Will he be spared?
                  OK. Lets see. Lets say Person A steals a chocolate bar or bread or something like that. Gets sent to court, before his hands gets chopped he cries soo much and says I'm sorry, and repents, and promises with soul etc. Will he be spared?
                  I'd imagine that one would be fearful of killing one repenting to Allah SWT: In fear of Allah SWT.
                  I really want to see the Shariah Law 100% in practice with a righteous, understanding etc. Caliphate.
                  Last edited by Serinity; 11-06-15, 11:24 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X