Converting to Islam in Prision?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Converting to Islam in Prision?

Anyone know why is this such a prevalent phenomenon? I am from the states and many (mostly black) men who are incarcerated become Muslim during their jail sentence. I'm curious as to how others view this as well as others outside of the US. Also is this is this common in other places in the world?

Re: Converting to Islam in Prision?

Originally posted by Geena1999 View Post
    Anyone know why is this such a prevalent phenomenon? I am from the states and many (mostly black) men who are incarcerated become Muslim during their jail sentence. I'm curious as to how others view this as well as others outside of the US. Also is this is this common in other places in the world?
    does this conversion, mean they've given up their criminal past and start practicing Orthodox Islam? you know there was this Nation of Islam movement in US

Comment

Originally posted by Mohamed Mifxal View Post
      does this conversion, mean they've given up their criminal past and start practicing Orthodox Islam? you know there was this Nation of Islam movement in US
      Yes, Orthodox not NOI. Where I live, I don't think NOI is very common.

Comment

Yes, Orthodox not NOI. Where I live, I don't think NOI is very common.
        Allhamdulihlaah

Comment

Allhamdulihlaah
          That's funny, Farrakahan just came to speak to a couple of cities in the states. I don't know how well he was received. The muslims I know don't like him as a muslim but they like him as a black man speaking about topic that affect the black community.

Comment

People say for protection etc - to be honest when in prison, its the first time they actually sit and think - and maybe they see the benefits of Islam.

A lot revert for that kinda inner protection according to some - but if they come out with islam and keep on practicing then alhamdulilah - tho many do get dragged back into their old crews.

Comment

Muslims dont like farrakhan cos he is not muslim, NOI are not muslim and are a source of misguidance. i've heard of people converting to islam in prison in other countries too but dunno how prevalent this is. I'd imagine for some it gives a sense of order in an otherwise chaotic situation.
              The Lyme Disease pandemic: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5u73ME4sVU

Comment

Maybe they go back to their fitrah because they are not surrounded by so many distractions and temptations and spend most of their time in seclusion. Allah knows best, interesting though.

Comment

Converting to Islam in Prision?

This is very common in the UK, I've heard of two people (not practicing) who have been to prison and changed their ways.. Beard, learning to read Quran etc, it's amazing what seclusion can do and Allah knows best.
                  The Messenger of Allah ﷺ said: “It will be said to the companion of the Qur’an: ‘Read, and ascend, and recite as you used to recite in the [previous] world, for your status will be according to the last verse that you recite.’” [At-Tirmidhi (2914) and Abu Dawood (1464)]

Comment

A man or woman in prison has nothing but time, so all the worldly distractions are taken away and so many turn to religion and yes Islam is one of the fastest growing religions in the west partially because of prison reversions and many of these will be genuine, many prisoners, despite their own crimes want to give dawah inside.

But as well as this, some turn to Islam for protection. If you become Muslim you don't need to watch your back so much, or worry about dropping the soap in the shower as badly as others do. This is especially true in American prisons, though the UK and the rest of the world is not immune to this problem.

One revert brother, having been to prison before in the UK knew the Muslim prisoners had better food, as they cooked it themselves to make sure it was halal, so he claimed he was Muslim on entering prison, but in doing so this meant he now ate with the Muslims and got time out of his cell on jummah, so through this contact ended up truly embracing Islam.

So there are genuine Shahadah's out there, as well as 'prison Muslims', those who practice islam a little inside, but when they come out go straight pack to their jahiliyyah, some of whom may be genuine but weak Muslims, others are just faking it for protection and good company inside.
                    FOLLOW THE NEW BLOG - GINGERBEARDMAN - Muslim, father, husband, writer, defender of ginger rights!

www.facebook.com/outreach4Islam - Outreach4Islam have been working together in Leicester, calling the not yet Muslims to Islam since 2006.

Comment

I dunno about that. Sure in some cases prison can cause someone to reflect on his life and change in a good way but in other cases prison can make people much worse. I used to know a Muslimah at my school, very decent girl from a good family. She got married and had two kids. Anyway years later when her kids became teenagers, her husband got into a fight with someone and ended up in prison. After his release, he became belligerent with her, argued over small things, kept accusing her of causing problems where there weren't any. This started to scare and upset the children so she separated from him which caused her in laws to say horrible things to her and accuse her of being a bad wife. He got it into his head that she was conspiring against him to keep the family apart. Anyway her father spoke to him on the phone and said how about we all sit together this weekend and talk things through, maybe work things out and they agreed on a date and time to meet but several hours before that the husband hung himself.... basically prison really messed with his mind and he was never quite the same person when he got out of there. Only Allah (swt) knows what must've happened to him in there.

Originally posted by iRepIslam View Post
                      This is very common in the UK, I've heard of two people (not practicing) who have been to prison and changed their ways.. Beard, learning to read Quran etc, it's amazing what seclusion can do and Allah knows best.
                      The Lyme Disease pandemic: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5u73ME4sVU

Comment

a large percentage of US blacks are from muslim families from east Africa [where about a 3rd of slaves were brought from]; I can only assume that the prayers of their ancestors to save 'all of their progeny' is taking effect!

Allah [swt] saves people by 'trapping them in a corner'; when blacks face incarceration, they have time to fall back on their conscientiousness and enter that door of God’s mercy and love
                        Last edited by Jannah2; 09-06-15, 02:18 PM.

Comment

Wasen't it Fruits of Islam?
                          https://twitter.com/AoufF
                          https://www.facebook.com/Striving4De...page_new_likes

Please share follow/like and invite your friends and family to it!

Comment

Its no different to hardend criminals becoming Born again Christians in prison. Its a good place for them to reflect on their lives, what they've done, where it all went wrong for them abnd how they can redeem themselves form the past crimes & sins....
                            Allah is always watching [VIDEO]

How To Weep For The Fear Of Allah

Please remember to share these links with people you know so they can also benefit from them. :jkk:

Comment

i recall a (not so famous) indonesian da'ee from 1970's era who used to live his youth as gangster criminal, converted to islam in prison, and became entirely different person after he was freed. masha Allah, His mercy and guidance. :-)
                              :GB_bonesrock:
                              And all the heavens go their way.... And only change is here to stay...

Comment

Working...
                              X