Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Male doctors

Asalamu alaikum brothers and sisters!

A few months ago I had to change doctors, I had a female but she wasn't in my dad's insurance plan anymore (we had to change) so I had to find another doctor. Decided to go with my dad's doctor, who is a male. He's kind, soft spoken, pretty much gets straight to business. Now I found out I can see this doctor when I get my own insurance because he accepts my medical insurance. I really don't want to go through the trouble of finding another doctor who is a female, and he already has my information so it would be a pain to search for another one. I do feel a bit uncomfortable about having a male doctor, even though he's kind, it just has always made me nervous. So my mom offered to come with me when I have an appointment. Is it okay if I still see him? I know men and women shouldn't be alone together, but I wouldn't be alone and he's a doctor. Not like he can try anything.

Re: Male doctors

Actually, my mom probably wouldn't be able to come with me to every single appointment. Not even sure if I'd want her to, I was seeing my last doctor all by myself, but she was a female.

I know he has male nurses too. I'm just worried about um, the *serious* stuff females have to see doctors for. If you catch what I'm saying...

Comment

Wa alaykumasalaam

It shouldn't be a problem considering it's medical and not for fun or lax reasons if that makes sense. And for "female stuff" ask to have a female doctor or nurse present at best. Unless a female doctor can do the female stuff if you get my drift.

لا تفكر كثيرا
      بل استغفر كثيرا

-------------------------------------------------------
      The children need your prayers more than anyone else
      -------------------------------------------------------
      www.inheritorsofquran.wordpress.com

Comment

Originally posted by F_R View Post
        Wa alaykumasalaam

It shouldn't be a problem considering it's medical and not for fun or lax reasons if that makes sense. And for "female stuff" ask to have a female doctor or nurse present at best. Unless a female doctor can do the female stuff if you get my drift.
        Alright, cool :jkk:

Haha yeah I catch your drift. I'm just nervous about having a male doctor for that...for reasons I can't say on a public forum lol. Maybe for that stuff I'll make sure my mom is with me.

Comment

:wswrwb:

If the reason for not finding a female doctor is because of the hassle of doing so then I would say accept the hassle and find a female doctor. I can't imagine it would be that difficult to arrange. If that fails then perhaps stick to what you have but I can't see why your search would fail.

Comment

You are mostly correct. He's a professional surrounded by medical staff in a clinical environment, it's unlikely he's going to try anything.
            But best get a female doctor. a few weeks or months down the line you don't want to avoid going to the doctors to discuss lady issues as you're embarrassed or uncomfortable around a male doctor (as you should be).

But obviously if it's an emergency or you need help on short notice then go to him...but best get a female doc.

Comment

:wswrwb:

Unless it is an emergency, it is best to have a female doctor. You have to have good reason for having male.

The hassle is a good thing because it will show Allah that you'd be willing to go through hard work to obey Him. That's what being Muslim, one who submits, means.

There would be great barakah in that!

Also, if hassle of paperwork is the only reason, it may not fly. Can't say it incurs sin but definitely you will be asked about it amd "it's too much work" doesn't sound right.

May Allah make it easy on us to obey Him and His Messenger ameen

Allah says in Qur'an that the most pious are those who follow the best meaning in that we strive to do what's best even if it is hard.

I always think of the sacrifices of the prophets and the best of Muslims. They literally gave life and limb for Allah even if they did not have to. We can never be close to how they were if we can't give up haraam because we have to (just in general, not your case)

That's always been the best motivation for me.

In the end, sam'ina wa at'ana. We hear and we obey.

May Allah make it easy on you to make the best choice, ameen.
              If Allah & his Messenger :saw: ordered us to breathe in a certain way, we would say: "سَمِعْنَا وَأَطَعْنَا We hear & We obey"
              “Whoever turns away from my Sunnah has nothing to do with me.” (al-Bukhaari)

Comment

It's just a pain taking yet another risk with a doctor I know nothing about or if she's a weirdo, rude, nice, etc. I knew what to expect with the male doctor because he's my dad doctor. So I don't wanna go and try to find another doctor, even if she's a female she might suck at her job. Who knows lol

But meh, I'll look into it. Thanks for the advice everyone. Will send reps. :jkk:

Comment

Originally posted by brightesthour View Post
                  It's just a pain taking yet another risk with a doctor I know nothing about or if she's a weirdo, rude, nice, etc. I knew what to expect with the male doctor because he's my dad doctor. So I don't wanna go and try to find another doctor, even if she's a female she might suck at her job. Who knows lol

But meh, I'll look into it. Thanks for the advice everyone. Will send reps. :jkk:
                  lol well I can't say much for that. I don't have a regular doctor. in fact, i've been only once in nearly ten years. still in my teenage years too!
                  If Allah & his Messenger :saw: ordered us to breathe in a certain way, we would say: "سَمِعْنَا وَأَطَعْنَا We hear & We obey"

Comment

Originally posted by Bint Radical View Post
                    lol well I can't say much for that. I don't have a regular doctor. in fact, i've been only once in nearly ten years. still in my teenage years too!
                    I only see my doctor for my medication, and that's it. But my mom said there might be a time since I'm getting older where I'll need to see him for female issues. And I'm kinda nervous about that...I'd prefer to have a female for that. Will just be easier to change doctors I guess.

I rarely saw a doctor too when I was a teen

Comment

Originally posted by brightesthour View Post
                      I only see my doctor for my medication, and that's it. But my mom said there might be a time since I'm getting older where I'll need to see him for female issues. And I'm kinda nervous about that...I'd prefer to have a female for that. Will just be easier to change doctors I guess.

I rarely saw a doctor too when I was a teen
                      both my parents just see it as "can't fix what's not broken" I guess it got passed to me. I understand. I'd hate to have a male doctor. than the awkwardness of having to see him again. but for them, it's just another Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Bint Radical View Post
                        both my parents just see it as "can't fix what's not broken" I guess it got passed to me. I understand. I'd hate to have a male doctor. than the awkwardness of having to see him again. but for them, it's just another Tuesday
                        Lol not a bad way to see it though. Some people go to the doctors frequently, I'd hate going all the time. The only time I can see going frequently is if you have a serious medical problem.

Yeah they've seen it all, I doubt they think about you once you leave lol

Comment

I don't see what the big deal is, he's a doctor it's a professional setting. Later on if you need to be seen for gynecological issues ask him to refer you to a female.

Comment

Originally posted by TurningTables View Post
                            I don't see what the big deal is, he's a doctor it's a professional setting. Later on if you need to be seen for gynecological issues ask him to refer you to a female.
                            Yeah I just wasn't sure it was okay or not, regardless if it was a professional setting. Gonna ask for another doctor then if I need that done.

Comment

It's not exactly unheard of for a male doctor to act "inappropriately" shall I say...and that's putting it very mildly, a Muslimah should always seek a female unless it's absolutely unavoidable.

Comment

Working...
                              X