Baby Name-, obsession with Arabic Name

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Baby Name-, obsession with Arabic Name

Alhamdulilah, I am an aunt for 2nd month in a role. I had a nephew from my husband's brother last month and last night my brother had a baby boy as well. So baby name has been in my mind for while & raise few questions.

We are desi yet everyone is obsess with Arabic name to make it Muslim. But Arabic name doesn't necessary mean Muslim as there are many Arabic Christiane and Jew in the region and use similar names. So how do you know what is a Muslim name and what is an Arabic name.

For example: my brother is naming his son Zaid, after reading prophets seerah on Zayd ibn Harithah or Zayd mawla Muhammad. Which is great but my Jordanian Christiane coworker's son name is Zaid too. Not sure if she borrowed the name from Muslim culture or it is an uni-religion Arabic name.

Just curious how one can tell if a name is Muslim or just cultural? One of the reason people are avoiding traditional desi name is because the name doesn't indicate religion of the person.

Re: Baby Name-, obsession with Arabic Name

I don't get this kind of thinking.
    Arabic is a language. It's a language used by non muslims too like you said.
    The only way that you can really tell if a person with an Arabic name is muslim is if it is an obviously islamic name. Like Abdullah or Abd of any of the names of Allah. Or Amatullah.
    But something like Noor or Amira. They're Arabic but there's no way you could actually be certain if Noor is a muslim or not. It has a nice meaning in a language that is used by people of different faiths.

Comment

I think its more to do with copying the names of the Sahabas/Sahabiya or perhaps the beautiful meaning in Arabic. Sometimes it is due to lack of awareness that Arabic names are automatically Muslim names.

One cannot really tell the faith of a person except by asking. I remember one of my classmate named Sally used to use words like Hamdillah, Mashaallah, inshaallah, Allah yetik al afia, Allahi wafqq etc etc but she is Catholic.
      “You don't need anybody to tell you who you are or what you are. You are what you are!”

Comment

Arabic is just a language sis, It's not a country or religion.
        I love you, cherish you and worship you,
        Guide me on your path to your janna,
        Unite me beside you My King and all mighty,

:love:Allah:love:

Comment

Do you mean 'islamic'?

Because my son has arabic names but it's not 'islamic' for my family and relatives who find out his name, they always comment why i didn't give him an islamic name, my reply is it has good meaning and i didn't want a common name, they would still argue with me, just a couple of weeks ago this woman argued that my son can't perform hajj because i didn't put Mohammed as his first name lol

Comment

I live in a Arab country.

It's not unusual for my non Muslim students to be called Isa, Yusuf, Noor, Dawud etc

What's interesting is that, after living here for so long now, my husband and I are of the opinion that we should avoid naming our kids names likes Isa etc in case people mistake them for non Muslims.
            https://sufisticated101.wordpress.com

Comment

Originally posted by TCKMuslima View Post
              They're Arabic but there's no way you could actually be certain if Noor is a muslim or not. .
              Yes there are. Most obvious way would be asking. You could also check records should you have access to that.

Comment

Originally posted by علي بن عبد الله View Post
                I think its more to do with copying the names of the Sahabas/Sahabiya .

That is what many people follow by naming after sahabas or famous Muslims but most of those sahabas obtained their name before Islam & there name can easily be used by nonmuslim Arab (example Zaid). Every language has beautiful meaning name, not just Arabic. I think next time I have some saying in kids naming process, I will insist on easy to pronounce local names.

Comment

Originally posted by Kya View Post
                  That is what many people follow by naming after sahabas or famous Muslims but most of those sahabas obtained their name before Islam & there name can easily be used by nonmuslim Arab (example Zaid). Every language has beautiful meaning name, not just Arabic. I think next time I have some saying in kids naming process, I will insist on easy to pronounce local names.
                  Correct. The main thing is this : “You will be called on the Day of Resurrection by your names and the names of your fathers, so choose good names for yourselves.” (Abi Dawood)
                  “You don't need anybody to tell you who you are or what you are. You are what you are!”

Comment

Working...
                  X