Ads by Muslim Ad Network

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Urgent Advice needed from Experienced Tenants (UK)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Urgent Advice needed from Experienced Tenants (UK)

Salam o Alaikum wrwb

brothers (and sisters) I am about to vacate a tenanted property in a week and noticed few issues that has got me worried about whether I will get my deposit back in full or not. So, of you who have experience in living as tenants in properties let by agencies, please respond asap.

Issues below:

!) Rising damp: while moving one of the set of drawers which stayed in corner of a room for around 8 months, I noticed a damp patch rising from skirt board in that corner which had been hidden since we moved in.

2) Condensation in between window panes: I cleaned interior and exterior of windows before realising that the dampness/condensation is in between the panes. Again, is it my problem.

3) Carpet cleaning: In the final inspection letter sent by the agency, it says that they may ask for a receipt to say that carpet has been professionally cleaned. the problem I have with this is that the carpet already had significant wear and tear, cigarette burn marks, very aged. So why should I be cleaning it to professional level especially if we have been careful enough in keeping it in a good enough state.

The property was let by an agency which is conducting the final inspection on the final day of tenancy. Question is, are the above issues normal or is it something that I stand to lose part (or all) of my deposit on?

JazakAllah Khair

Re: Urgent Advice needed from Experienced Tenants (UK)

:wswrwb:

A fair amount comes down to how reasonable the agency is. Regarding point 1 I don't see how you could contribute to rising damp if that indeed is what it is. Second point is a fault with the window panes, this happens over time and is nothing to do with you. I'd open the windows in an attempt to allow any excess dampness in the walls to evaporate (ideally this should be done for a number of days). It's not going to help the windows but may help with the damp.

On the point of carpet cleaning, if it's something that you signed up too then they can contractually hold you too it.

You could remain silent and see what they pick up on. Did you or they create an inventory when you first moved in? This is what can then be checked against when you are to move out. So for example, you would have noted the burns in the carpet etc.

Comment

Originally posted by zi-zizou View Post

A fair amount comes down to how reasonable the agency is. Regarding point 1 I don't see how you could contribute to rising damp if that indeed is what it is. Second point is a fault with the window panes, this happens over time and is nothing to do with you. I'd open the windows in an attempt to allow any excess dampness in the walls to evaporate (ideally this should be done for a number of days). It's not going to help the windows but may help with the damp.

On the point of carpet cleaning, if it's something that you signed up too then they can contractually hold you too it.

You could remain silent and see what they pick up on. Did you or they create an inventory when you first moved in? This is what can then be checked against when you are to move out. So for example, you would have noted the burns in the carpet etc.

The agency is well known amongst landlords as they tend to get the property let fairly quick but I don't know how popular they are with tenants who left their properties.

Regarding inventory, they completed the inventory when I moved in. Before signing that inventory, I added the couple more points to the inventory describing state/age of the carpet. So that should be in their record. I will read the contract to see whether I signed up for professional cleaning.

My worry with damp issue is/was that may be I should have told them or landlord about this dampness so that it can be repaired when it appeared for first time instead of when leaving the property.

As long as i haven't done anything illegal/against the contract, i think i can fight as deposit is protected by DPS.

Comment

Originally posted by trying_hard View Post
        The agency is well known amongst landlords as they tend to get the property let fairly quick but I don't know how popular they are with tenants who left their properties.

Regarding inventory, they completed the inventory when I moved in. Before signing that inventory, I added the couple more points to the inventory describing state/age of the carpet. So that should be in their record. I will read the contract to see whether I signed up for professional cleaning.

My worry with damp issue is/was that may be I should have told them or landlord about this dampness so that it can be repaired when it appeared for first time instead of when leaving the property.

As long as i haven't done anything illegal/against the contract, i think i can fight as deposit is protected by DPS.
        You're right in that you can fight it in as your deposit is protected by the dps but that might cost you more in the legal process.

For the damp and window pane issue, I dnt think you should be liable to pay anything as its a fault with the property. Not something you've damaged. About reporting it for repair, I dnt think they can hold you to that either as there isnt any way to prove you knew about the damp. Window pane condensation is dangerous so that should be fine.

The inventory should help with the carpet issue. Did the inventory includes photos? If it did you should be fine.

Comment

Originally posted by zi-zizou View Post

The clause in contract say: ''To clean (or pay for the cleaning to) a good standard, the premises, its fixtures and fittigns, including the cleaning of any carpets......''. So I don't think it is a must as long as I clean it.

Originally posted by The Prince View Post
          Window pane condensation is dangerous so that should be fine.

The inventory should help with the carpet issue. Did the inventory includes photos? If it did you should be fine.
          Yes they took photos and agreed that the carpet had marks etc. and aged so that is the reason I am not keen on professionally getting it cleaned.

Comment

Is the depost held by a third party as required by law or is the agency/landlord holding it themselves?

If it's the third party you can raise your concerns with them. If they held it themselves you can ask for it back in full as they had no right to hold it.
            http://kondori.wordpress.com/

Like this page on FB
            HasbunAllah Wani'mal Wakeel | حسبنا الله ونعم الوكيل

Allah is Sufficient for us, and He is the Best Disposer of affairs.

"...its better to light a small candle than to curse the darkness..."

"We need to emphasise that differences of fiqh are the not the depth of religion, the depth of religion is piety." ~
            Shaykh Akram Nadwi

Salātullāhi wa Salāmuhu ‘alayka ya Rasūlallāh

http://37.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lj...2vbxo1_500.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by trying_hard View Post
              The clause in contract say: ''To clean (or pay for the cleaning to) a good standard, the premises, its fixtures and fittigns, including the cleaning of any carpets......''. So I don't think it is a must as long as I clean it.

Yes they took photos and agreed that the carpet had marks etc. and aged so that is the reason I am not keen on professionally getting it cleaned.
              In that case it should be fine inshaAllah. Did you give your landlord / letting agent a 4 week notice? Reason I ask is because the DPS can take upto 4 weeks to give bond/deposit back so your landlord/ letting agent. They should've requested it straight away so its ready for you when you move out and hand the keys back.

Comment

Working...
              X