• Show
Clear All

• ~TwinklingStar~
    replied

Leave a comment:

• HealerofWorlds
    replied
    Re: Is wordly education useless?

Education is important. Imagine this world without scientific discoveries, the cure for diseases and such. Of course, there's plenty more than this to learn. Allah Swt does not want us to completely abandon this world. Wouldn't going into a forest and praying all day be pretty easy?
    Whilst you're studying for your A levels, you may not have time for fun and games but how long does it take to pray each prayer? Or to read some verses/pages from the Qur'an with/without translation? Perhaps more or less the amount of time that would be spent on eating dinner or lunch.

And well, if you want to support your family in the future then I suggest you study well and find a decent job. Will you not be asked about that too? This is perhaps the least you can do with a decent education if you don't want to use it for further achievements.
    And honestly, would you rather have a nice job or do labour work? Or would you feel useful sitting at home all day?
    Last edited by HealerofWorlds; 12-05-15, 11:23 PM.

Leave a comment:

• faatima18
    replied

interesting thing is, how many muslim doctors, engineers, professionals do we have and how many are going back to help their countries?
    if you are going to study to a high level you should definitely prioritise the ummah before others. that way your studies become something which could be your reason for entering jannah.

Leave a comment:

• faatima18
    replied

why are some of you saying "don't go doctors, don't use technology" etc, did you even read what he said?

anyway, 'wordly' education as you put it is important. I'm sure you already know the benefits it has for society.
    but at the same time it's not for everyone which just by looking at this thread you can see some people don't get it.
    not everyone is going to be a doctor, or engineer or scientist. we don't need everyone to do that either, we need some of everything.
    we need people that study the deen, people that study 'wordly' subjects and people that do both. I don't know why certain muslims in the west have to be so extreme like you have to be doctor or you're a failure.
    finish your A levels at least and try and study whatever you can from the deen on the side. then after you can decide what you want to do with your life.

Leave a comment:

• Bidrohi Ronoklanto
    replied

No it is not.

It is extremely important.

If you think it is useless, never complain when the hi-tech kuffar drop a bomb from their stealth jet and kill hundreds of people.

Leave a comment:

• Serada
    replied

Originally posted by .Singaporean View Post
    proof? Cause last I checked, most in america have to make it to college to even get scouted.
    Well they do act brain dead or at least many do, the confusion is understandable. Testosterone poisoning with too many hits to the head, or a little of both.

Leave a comment:

• .Singaporean
    replied

Originally posted by noobz View Post
    most pro athletes can't even read.
    proof? Cause last I checked, most in america have to make it to college to even get scouted.

Leave a comment:

• rahmat89
    replied

Originally posted by Hassaan333 View Post
    :salams

How important is it to 'be successful and get a good degree and get a good job'

Why do many Muslims have distorted view of success now a days.

I don't want to study.. I'm being honest. I don't need to know about thin layer chromatography or reactions of benzenes or magnetic fields. I won't be askrd about them on day of judgment. Instead I'll be asked about my deeds..
    Due to these alevels (beneficial for this dunya), I've stopped learning arabic (beneficial for akhira), stopped reading tafsir books (beneficial for akhira), stopped watching lectures online (beneficial for akhira) because i simply don't have enough time! it's too difficult to juggle between everything..

Why shouldn't i get Islamic knowledge as compared to these sciences knowledge? why do i need to be launched into this world forcefully bearing a two penny worth engineering degree when i can very well immerse myself in study of this deen which will not only be beneficial for this world but also for hereafter!?

I just don't get it. Parents are pressurizing me from every angle to get good grades and 'be successful '

What success are they referring to? This two penny worth dunya success? I know we have to balance between dunya and akhira but why prioritize this world? So what if i get a B or a C? It's not the end of the world? I'll still get the degree even if i get a C?
    Why are they forcing me to get top grades? Is this what i was made for? To study 10 hours a day without saying a single word? I don't get it!
    Wa Alaikum Salam, Brother
    You reminds me when I was in high school, but I don't ask too much.. :)
    Study is sunnah, you can study anything and still rewarded (beneficial for akhira). Have you heard Ibnu Sina? Did you know Calculus is a Muslim name?
    If it is "Lillahi ta a'la" you'll rewarded for everything you did. Everything. But don't forget lillahi ta a'la before do anything.
    Example: I study chemical, before I read the book, I say this in my heart: I will study this subject "Lillahi ta ala".

Allahu Alam.

Leave a comment:

• Serada
    replied

They may act that way, but vast majority were recruited in college.

Leave a comment:

• noobz
    replied

Originally posted by .Singaporean View Post
    What companies are you talking about? The majority of successful companies in the world are run by degree holding ceos. For example IBM, Intel , Apple, Samsung, cisco etc. oh and these are only tech companies , let's not get to other categories.

Leave a comment:

• .Singaporean
    replied

most company owners are drop outs , most employers hardly have any degree , just some o/a levels , etc and are making masters graduates work under them.
    What companies are you talking about? The majority of successful companies in the world are run by degree holding ceos. For example IBM, Intel , Apple, Samsung, cisco etc. oh and these are only tech companies , let's not get to other categories.

Leave a comment:

• noobz
    replied

Originally posted by Serada View Post
    I agree. You can find a few drop outs that did that, a very few. Most and vast majority, no. That is not their story.
    most company owners are drop outs , most employers hardly have any degree , just some o/a levels , etc and are making masters graduates work under them.

Leave a comment:

• noobz
    replied

Originally posted by F_R View Post
    no one can force you really to do something you don't want
    thats what they all say.

Leave a comment:

• Taboo
    replied

Useless? then stop going to doctors, eating fast food or food from supermarkets and riding in vehicles. These were all created by "useless wordly education". Enjoy walking everyplace you go and foraging for food.

Muslims aren't supposed to be ascetics. If you dont want a degree just learn a trade, you don't need to study for years on end to survive. but don't put down those who do or say that their work is "useless", because it isnt.

you can learn a non-degree trade while studying in an islamic university. it's win-win. your parents will get their degree and you will gain ilm.

Leave a comment:

• Serada
    replied

Originally posted by peras1 View Post
    Bill Gates and Mark Zuckerberg both dropped out of Harvard
    Harvard, do you know how hard they worked in Harvard, one of the most elite colleges, and how hard they worked to get into that college, and how many classes they took while there? Bill gates spent 3 years in Harvard, so take that in consideration. He was not a simple high school graduate, or a common college drop out. I think the story is the same for Mark Zuckerberg.

For most and vast majority of drop outs becoming a multi-millionaire is not the picture.

I guess if you are some computer programming protagey you might get away with it.
    Last edited by Serada; 10-05-15, 09:24 PM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X