Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is wordly education useless?

:salams

How important is it to 'be successful and get a good degree and get a good job'

Why do many Muslims have distorted view of success now a days.

I don't want to study.. I'm being honest. I don't need to know about thin layer chromatography or reactions of benzenes or magnetic fields. I won't be askrd about them on day of judgment. Instead I'll be asked about my deeds..
    Due to these alevels (beneficial for this dunya), I've stopped learning arabic (beneficial for akhira), stopped reading tafsir books (beneficial for akhira), stopped watching lectures online (beneficial for akhira) because i simply don't have enough time! it's too difficult to juggle between everything..

Why shouldn't i get Islamic knowledge as compared to these sciences knowledge? why do i need to be launched into this world forcefully bearing a two penny worth engineering degree when i can very well immerse myself in study of this deen which will not only be beneficial for this world but also for hereafter!?

I just don't get it. Parents are pressurizing me from every angle to get good grades and 'be successful '

What success are they referring to? This two penny worth dunya success? I know we have to balance between dunya and akhira but why prioritize this world? So what if i get a B or a C? It's not the end of the world? I'll still get the degree even if i get a C?
    Why are they forcing me to get top grades? Is this what i was made for? To study 10 hours a day without saying a single word? I don't get it!
    There are gems to be discovered in Quran.

Recite :saw: when you read this sentence.

Re: Is wordly education useless?

Im a parent and I can understand where your parents are coming from.

They want you to do well in your studies so you can get a good job thats halal and pays you well so you can live comfortably.

Remember the prophet said gaining knowledge is compulsory for every man and woman.

This includes worldly knowledge as well as deeni.

Comment

:wswrwb:

No it's not useless.

Your intention for studying in general should be for the sake of Allah.

Practically speaking, that would be by benefiting the Ummah in what you've learnt.

If you have this intention, every time you go to class, you'll get ajr. Every time you do homework, ajr and so on and so forth.

That's not to say Islamic knowledge isn't better but not everyone can be a scholar in Islam. The Ummah needs people from all types of fields so renew your intention, say Bismillah and go back to revision. :)

Comment

you should work with your hands and also immerse yourself in religion. make use of when you are free when you finish your a-levels. if you genuinely don't have time to do arabic or tafsir, why not engage in dhikr instead?
        وَاقْصِدْ فِي مَشْيِكَ وَاغْضُضْ مِن صَوْتِكَ ۚ إِنَّ أَنكَرَ الْأَصْوَاتِ لَصَوْتُ الْحَمِيرِ - 31:19

And be moderate in your pace and lower your voice; indeed, the most disagreeable of sounds is the voice of donkeys."

أَلَمْ تَرَوْا أَنَّ اللَّهَ سَخَّرَ لَكُم مَّا فِي السَّمَاوَاتِ وَمَا فِي الْأَرْضِ وَأَسْبَغَ عَلَيْكُمْ نِعَمَهُ ظَاهِرَةً وَبَاطِنَةً ۗ وَمِنَ النَّاسِ مَن يُجَادِلُ فِي اللَّهِ بِغَيْرِ عِلْمٍ وَلَا هُدًى وَلَا كِتَابٍ مُّنِيرٍ - 31:20

Do you not see that Allah has made subject to you whatever is in the heavens and whatever is in the earth and amply bestowed upon you His favors, [both] apparent and unapparent? But of the people is he who disputes about Allah without knowledge or guidance or an enlightening Book [from Him].

Please take a look at my travel booking website : https://destinationfindertravel.com/

Please take a look at my blog : http://thinkingmuslima.blogspot.co.uk/

Comment

Become a monk. No more school. Worship Allah. Win-win.
          If Allah & his Messenger :saw: ordered us to breathe in a certain way, we would say: "سَمِعْنَا وَأَطَعْنَا We hear & We obey"
          “Whoever turns away from my Sunnah has nothing to do with me.” (al-Bukhaari)

Comment

Originally posted by Hassaan333 View Post
            :salams

How important is it to 'be successful and get a good degree and get a good job'

Why do many Muslims have distorted view of success now a days.

I don't want to study.. I'm being honest. I don't need to know about thin layer chromatography or reactions of benzenes or magnetic fields. I won't be askrd about them on day of judgment. Instead I'll be asked about my deeds..
            Due to these alevels (beneficial for this dunya), I've stopped learning arabic (beneficial for akhira), stopped reading tafsir books (beneficial for akhira), stopped watching lectures online (beneficial for akhira) because i simply don't have enough time! it's too difficult to juggle between everything..

Why shouldn't i get Islamic knowledge as compared to these sciences knowledge? why do i need to be launched into this world forcefully bearing a two penny worth engineering degree when i can very well immerse myself in study of this deen which will not only be beneficial for this world but also for hereafter!?

I just don't get it. Parents are pressurizing me from every angle to get good grades and 'be successful '

What success are they referring to? This two penny worth dunya success? I know we have to balance between dunya and akhira but why prioritize this world? So what if i get a B or a C? It's not the end of the world? I'll still get the degree even if i get a C?
            Why are they forcing me to get top grades? Is this what i was made for? To study 10 hours a day without saying a single word? I don't get it!
            I totally agree with you. Studying is bull. It's better there's no doctors, nurses, firefighters, farmers, accountants, teachrs, scholars, scientists that make new medicine, bakers, cleaners, linguistics, writers, reporters or other people. The world works fine everyone being a pizza delivery guy. It's best that you're not in anyway educated, because the best position for a muslim is to be ruled by the educated-fyi- non believers because they know what is best for us and since they do educate themselves -fyi- they rule over us and that's the best position for a muslim. It's the best position to not be of any use for the ummah -and when you get old it is best that people who don't know anything take care of you because that's the position of the muslim. When you get sick it is best a layman diagnoses you and gives you which ever medicine, because ew education.

Also, because secular education is TOTALLY for the dunya and has no effect on your aakhira, for instance if you were a doctor and saved lives it wouldn't mean anything in the aakhira- right?

If everyone thought like you then exactly who keeps the ummah running? You don't have a special pass to let everyone take care of you and you do nothing to repay it.

On a totally serious note, if you make your intention for studying secular to get a well paying job that benefits the society and helps you maintain your family and the intention is for the sake of Allah ta'ala you earn reward from it too. Things labeled "islamic", there's also things that are not that earn rewards.
            Last edited by Kalikatu; 10-05-15, 02:37 PM.
            6:62 "Then are they restored unto Allah, their Lord, the Just. Surely His is the judgment. And He is the most swift of reckoners."

Comment

I know what your going through I feel the exact same and we all know the answer.. It's just another way of procrastinating out of laziness and boredom and hating studies. I don't wanna be a hipocrite but its best to study hard inshallah u'll get those A/A*'s, get a degree in a halal way, get a big mansion, a beautiful wife, make ur parents happy and most of all earn the pleasure of Allah swt.
              [SIZE=3][FONT=Times New Roman][B][U][CENTER]Oh Allah, in your name, I die and live.[/CENTER][/U][/B][/FONT][/SIZE]
              [CENTER]:):lailah::lailah::lailah::lailah::)[/CENTER]

[B][CENTER]Ya Allah, Grant Me A Heart That Sees[/CENTER][/B]

Comment

A population of non-educated individuals dependent upon other nations to build any advanced equipment or technology, and dependent upon others in hopes that bread crumbs and scraps will fall from their tables and into your lap. But at least you know the proper way to pray for more bread crumbs to fall. Sounds like a recipe for success.

Comment

Sorry but that's stupid OP... the hadiths about knowledge indeed talk about deen knowledge, however, no where does it say that you shut yourself off from the world. In case you didn't know you live in the dunya. So studying, working out, working, are all necessities of success in this life, this physical life which demands it. Unless you want to live on the street, be ignorant/clueless, and unhealthy... amongst other things.

No one LOVES working (well sometimes you can), no one LOVES studying (sometimes you can), but they are necessities of this life. I agree with the other responses. Who needs doctors, engineers, cooks, writers, researchers, artists, or anything else in this world because you know dunya...

Part of Islam is living in this life and preparing for the next. It's not about being a christian or hindu or budhist monk where you seclude yourself and worship and therefore you are better/better off. Part of this life is the test of life. You got to struggle and live.

I don't recollect exact hadiths right now but there are plenty that I recall talking about this very thing... to live this life but not like it's eternal. To not be shut off, to not be sitting on your bum. Like the tie your camel or praying for food. You got to do your actions for Allah to help you.

Everything is from Allah subhanawatala... rizq, qadr, etc... but, that does not mean we just 'stop' living.

I don't know how old you are, but sooner or later you will need to work and provide for your wife, family, parents, yourself, etc... and you will realize.

You don't have to be a materialistic person (I'm not), you don't have to be rich (no one in my family really is), you can be content and say alhamdulillah but your effort, your struggles, they should be real, you should never be lazy or careless. I don't obsess with brand names, expensive things, etc.. sure some people do, but yet again Islam is not a religion AGAINST wealth, AGAINST education, AGAINST resources, it encourages it for as long as you are upon the deen.

I'm back in school right now. I switched careers when I got married, I am trying to switch careers now in a way. I'm upgrading myself. Why? Because I want to provide for myself and my family and inshAllah NOT have to struggle or live paycheque to paycheque. Why the hell would you want to?

If someone gave me halal opportunities to grow, to earn money, etc.. I would go for it. Sometimes some of us don't get opportunities, got to struggle man.

Lazy people piss me off. Expecting handouts... I struggle and I'm not rich, and then there's someone out there who talks about not needing to work or educate themselves or whatever, get real. Get a taste of life then come back to me. No one is forcing anyone for you to get degrees or masters or a PhD, you don't even need them to be successful, many people are jobless with them, but whatever you can work hard for do it.

If I could afford to go back to university (my parents never paid my education I don't come from a rich family)I would have even now, but I have to provide for my family.
                  Last edited by Ahmed2013; 10-05-15, 03:49 PM.

Comment

I don't want anyone to get a bad impression of me. I'm not stupid, just couldn't control my thoughts at that point.

Of course i believe worldly education is necessary, BUT TO SOME EXTENT.

One shouldn't cram himself with Biology books for all night when there are other better things to do. The only reason i was mad this type of education, and still am, is because it is draining the time which i can spend on Islamic education. I don't mean that one shouldn't get this education at all, but get it moderately. Why do parents insist on A*? Would that guarantee me job as soon as i graduate? No? Then why can't i settle with a B or a C? Why do i have to be 'top of the class'? It's not like people who graduate with an A* get a golden degree and people who have B's get a copper or bronze one. It's all the same..

Comment

What are you doing for your akhira in terms of study? Aside from the obligatory things like salah etc, is there anything outside of this where you are actively seeking knowledge and progressing in it? That way :insha: you will feel that you have both worlds and aren't leaving anything out so to speak. Also if we renew our intention then it can all be ibaadah for us and we can win win

لا تفكر كثيرا
                      بل استغفر كثيرا

-------------------------------------------------------
                      The children need your prayers more than anyone else
                      www.inheritorsofquran.wordpress.com

Comment

Originally posted by Bint Radical View Post

Become a monk. No more school. Worship Allah. Win-win.
                        A monk can easily be swayed by the devil. Become a scholar/person of knowledge, now that's win-win.

لا تفكر كثيرا
                        بل استغفر كثيرا

The children need your prayers more than anyone else
                        www.inheritorsofquran.wordpress.com

Comment

I'll say again I'm not against wordly education. That's stupid indeed. What i meant was in my alevels degree, it's not much of a difference if you get An A* or a B or a C. Universities give you admission anyway. So the time spent in studying to get an A* can be utilized for other purposes like learning arabic or reading classical book, and it's kind of like a win win situation for me.

Hope i made it clear

Comment

Originally posted by F_R View Post
                            A monk can easily be swayed by the devil. Become a scholar/person of knowledge, now that's win-win.
                            Exactly. By saying that i should prioritize akhira, i meant that gaining knowledge of deen can help us counter shaytaan.

Comment

Originally posted by Hassaan333 View Post
                              I'll say again I'm not against wordly education. That's stupid indeed. What i meant was in my alevels degree, it's not much of a difference if you get An A* or a B or a C. Universities give you admission anyway. So the time spent in studying to get an A* can be utilized for other purposes like learning arabic or reading classical book, and it's kind of like a win win situation for me.

Hope i made it clear
                              I don't know about the place you live, here if you get the highest score you get 10 points more the guy who gets a C. These points that you get from a good graduation paper can make almost 50-60 points different to bad papers when getting to uni. We also have to take a test, but your good grades mean you don't need to be THAT good in the test to pass, but if you were a bad student you will have to get almost 100% off the test to pass because bad grades mean no points.
                              6:62 "Then are they restored unto Allah, their Lord, the Just. Surely His is the judgment. And He is the most swift of reckoners."

Comment

Working...
                              X