Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: recent convert to Islam needing advice

Originally posted by legomahmego View Post
    Yeah I know they will come around eventually. I know they worry just cause of the whole ISIS situation going on but I have assured them Islam is nothing they represent. Yeah they have noticed the change in me and are very happi with the outcome so far :) so time will only tell insha Allah
    subhannallah all my family knew about islam before i accepted it was what they saw on the tv so when i embraced islam (i had a habit for getting into trouble as a teenager) they sort of freaked out a little. but then subhannallah they saw the change in me, i quit drinking and drugs, i stopped swearing every second word and i started treating my parents respectfully. Eventually they noticed the change in me and relaxed
    just keep trying to be the best muslim you can be and eventually they'll come round sister
    other than that how are you finding islam? its been a few months since you last posted so how has everything been going?
    "My servants, you who have transgressed against yourselves, do not despair of the mercy of Allah. Truly Allah forgives all wrong actions. He is the Ever-Forgiving, the Most Merciful." (Surat az-Zumar: 53)

Comment

Originally posted by eesa the kiwi View Post
      subhannallah all my family knew about islam before i accepted it was what they saw on the tv so when i embraced islam (i had a habit for getting into trouble as a teenager) they sort of freaked out a little. but then subhannallah they saw the change in me, i quit drinking and drugs, i stopped swearing every second word and i started treating my parents respectfully. Eventually they noticed the change in me and relaxed
      just keep trying to be the best muslim you can be and eventually they'll come round sister
      other than that how are you finding islam? its been a few months since you last posted so how has everything been going?
      Yeah same here I used to be super rebellious and now ive calmed down alot since I started practicing Islam. Yeah they have relaxed a bit especially since I keep reassuring them I am not going to run off and join ISIS and they see that Islam has settled me down. I am trying to be the best I can :) So far I must admit I really love it. Ever since I converted ive met the sweetest people and I am still learning more and more each day on how to be the best Muslim possible. But all in all I love it <3 :)

Comment

Salaam, my advice to you as a convert to another convert is to build strong ties to your local masjid or build relationships with sisters in that masjid if that mosque is not one that accommodates women. The Prophet (saws) said that, "A faithful believer to a faithful believer is like the bricks of a wall, enforcing each other.. One mistake that many people make is that when they convert and then they are asked to come to the masjid to attend programs, they never show up or in the case of women, they don't keep in touch with other Muslim women nearby. Stick to the community, no one can make someone do that, you have to take that responsibility for yourself. So in your case where you are having difficulties with the family and at work, perhaps someone in your area can help you with work and offer you an alternative if your job is giving you problems. In terms of dealing with your family, just by being Muslim now, Allah (swt) will put new people and new friends into your life if you allow yourself to be open and accessible to the community. The new people you will meet in Islam will not replace your family, but the bonds of Islam will make them become close to you like family. And always remember that there is no guarantee that your blood family will ever become Muslim, but be a good example for them regardless.

Comment

Yeah same here I used to be super rebellious and now ive calmed down alot since I started practicing Islam. Yeah they have relaxed a bit especially since I keep reassuring them I am not going to run off and join ISIS and they see that Islam has settled me down. I am trying to be the best I can :) So far I must admit I really love it. Ever since I converted ive met the sweetest people and I am still learning more and more each day on how to be the best Muslim possible. But all in all I love it <3 :)
          lol when i embraced islam isis wasnt around so i think they were worried about me going to afghanistan (shows how powerful the media is)
          sister subhannallah Allah has given you a precious gift in islam and now with your family you are the ambassador of islam to them. They are not going to get better exposure to islam than through their daughter embracing the religion so its your job now to try convey the message the best you can and try clear their misconceptions. Dawah through speech is good but i think dawah through actions is equally important so just keep learning and practicing and inshaallah they will see the beauty in this religion. I recomend watching these videos as they will give you a good foundation to work on with dawah to the people you encounter
          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Hc9DiDOjJk
          i watched these myself and alhamdulilah they really benefitted me
          the other thing that helped me when i was new to islam was salaat, the brothers teaching me islam really drilled into me the importance of salaat.
          maintain your five daily salaat and no matter how messed up things get things will be ok, its your connection to allah swt so take advantage of this. Salaat keeps me in line and if i start to stray a little it pulls me back. Like alhamdulilah if im chillen with the brothers (i dont get up to anything too bad these days alhamdulilah) and im joking around in maybe a way that is unislamic when its time for salaat im like subhannallah Allah is watching me i need to get my act together.
          maintain your salaat no matter what and inshaallah allah will take care of the rest
          im really happy for you that you are enjoying the religion i pray that through you allah guides the rest of your family to islam
          "My servants, you who have transgressed against yourselves, do not despair of the mercy of Allah. Truly Allah forgives all wrong actions. He is the Ever-Forgiving, the Most Merciful." (Surat az-Zumar: 53)

Comment

lol when i embraced islam isis wasnt around so i think they were worried about me going to afghanistan (shows how powerful the media is)
            sister subhannallah Allah has given you a precious gift in islam and now with your family you are the ambassador of islam to them. They are not going to get better exposure to islam than through their daughter embracing the religion so its your job now to try convey the message the best you can and try clear their misconceptions. Dawah through speech is good but i think dawah through actions is equally important so just keep learning and practicing and inshaallah they will see the beauty in this religion. I recomend watching these videos as they will give you a good foundation to work on with dawah to the people you encounter
            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Hc9DiDOjJk
            i watched these myself and alhamdulilah they really benefitted me
            the other thing that helped me when i was new to islam was salaat, the brothers teaching me islam really drilled into me the importance of salaat.
            maintain your five daily salaat and no matter how messed up things get things will be ok, its your connection to allah swt so take advantage of this. Salaat keeps me in line and if i start to stray a little it pulls me back. Like alhamdulilah if im chillen with the brothers (i dont get up to anything too bad these days alhamdulilah) and im joking around in maybe a way that is unislamic when its time for salaat im like subhannallah Allah is watching me i need to get my act together.
            maintain your salaat no matter what and inshaallah allah will take care of the rest
            im really happy for you that you are enjoying the religion i pray that through you allah guides the rest of your family to islam
            how long have has it been since you converted? what made you choose Islam just curious.. I will for sure check out the videos :) yeah I have been talking to quite a few sisters who have been helping me along the way and teaching me the proper ways to be the best Muslim possible and I always think about it when im out with my friends and what not. I am starting slow with my parents so I dont throw it all at them at once but luckily most of my friends have accepted it and loved it :) some have even considered converting now its a beautiful thing. I will pray for you as well brother so glad it helped change your life for the better :)

Comment

how long have has it been since you converted? what made you choose Islam just curious.. I will for sure check out the videos :) yeah I have been talking to quite a few sisters who have been helping me along the way and teaching me the proper ways to be the best Muslim possible and I always think about it when im out with my friends and what not. I am starting slow with my parents so I dont throw it all at them at once but luckily most of my friends have accepted it and loved it :) some have even considered converting now its a beautiful thing. I will pray for you as well brother so glad it helped change your life for the better :)
              subhanallah perhaps Allah will bring many to islam through you. I made the decision to become a muslim on jan 4th 2009 a few days before my 20th birthday. I was raised christian but left christianity as a teenager because i was up to too much no good to continue calling myself christian
              long story short i nearly destroyed myself through drug abuse and got myself into a whole bunch of trouble with the law. I knew nothing about islam except that muslims prayed with their heads on the ground, id only met one muslim in my life and he was getting into trouble with the rest of us so at the time i didnt even realise he was one. I was completely ignorant of islam i had no idea why i had been put on this earth i just thought id make the most of it while i was here. Then one day i found a copy of the english quran, it hit me like a ton of bricks and really cut into my heart and by the time i put it down i knew this was from my creator. I emailed the local masjid and asked them to send someone round who could answer my questions. Not long after i took my shahadah. I cleaned up my act ditched the loser friends and started trying to rectify my condition for my creator. through islam allah turned my life around and changed me completely, looking back its like i had an evil twin lol
              how about you sister? how did you come to to find out about islam

Comment

subhanallah perhaps Allah will bring many to islam through you. I made the decision to become a muslim on jan 4th 2009 a few days before my 20th birthday. I was raised christian but left christianity as a teenager because i was up to too much no good to continue calling myself christian
                long story short i nearly destroyed myself through drug abuse and got myself into a whole bunch of trouble with the law. I knew nothing about islam except that muslims prayed with their heads on the ground, id only met one muslim in my life and he was getting into trouble with the rest of us so at the time i didnt even realise he was one. I was completely ignorant of islam i had no idea why i had been put on this earth i just thought id make the most of it while i was here. Then one day i found a copy of the english quran, it hit me like a ton of bricks and really cut into my heart and by the time i put it down i knew this was from my creator. I emailed the local masjid and asked them to send someone round who could answer my questions. Not long after i took my shahadah. I cleaned up my act ditched the loser friends and started trying to rectify my condition for my creator. through islam allah turned my life around and changed me completely, looking back its like i had an evil twin lol
                how about you sister? how did you come to to find out about islam
                Oh wow you sound almost like me in the past haha except I never got in trouble with the law :P Yeah I fell into a semi dark hole at one point and I feel like Allah saved me for a reason and like you I never understood Islam and the one Muslim I knew he wasnt super into it. But I discovered Islam when I fell into kinda a religion limbo and just began researching about various religions and Islam stuck out to me and realli drew me in and I was wanting to learn more and I never felt that with other religions and once I started moving towards Islam and doing things in terms of it, I knew it was right for me and I know that for sure now :)

Comment

Oh wow you sound almost like me in the past haha except I never got in trouble with the law :P Yeah I fell into a semi dark hole at one point and I feel like Allah saved me for a reason and like you I never understood Islam and the one Muslim I knew he wasnt super into it. But I discovered Islam when I fell into kinda a religion limbo and just began researching about various religions and Islam stuck out to me and realli drew me in and I was wanting to learn more and I never felt that with other religions and once I started moving towards Islam and doing things in terms of it, I knew it was right for me and I know that for sure now :)
                  thank you for sharing sister subhanallah perhaps Allah saved you so he could save others through you,
                  i think the reason im so in to this (and you might be the same) is that i know exactly what is waiting for me if i stray
                  my old life sucked with a capital suck, it was meaningless and empty and looking back now i was miserable i just didnt know any better, the thing was the more you try and mask the hole in you with dunya the bigger the hole gets
                  these days i have a pretty quiet life but i find more happiness having a cruisy day just reading my salaat maybe read a book than i ever did chasing after the drugs and the girls and the chaos
                  my family dont get it but subhannallah there is something about islam that makes your heart go this is what i was created to do

Comment

thank you for sharing sister subhanallah perhaps Allah saved you so he could save others through you,
                    i think the reason im so in to this (and you might be the same) is that i know exactly what is waiting for me if i stray
                    my old life sucked with a capital suck, it was meaningless and empty and looking back now i was miserable i just didnt know any better, the thing was the more you try and mask the hole in you with dunya the bigger the hole gets
                    these days i have a pretty quiet life but i find more happiness having a cruisy day just reading my salaat maybe read a book than i ever did chasing after the drugs and the girls and the chaos
                    my family dont get it but subhannallah there is something about islam that makes your heart go this is what i was created to do
                    Yeah I think so. My life didnt suck but for a period of 6 months I slipped into that drug life and felt so lost it was awful but least I found the light at the end of the tunnel and I agree I like having the simple and quiet life. I dont mind just hanging out at home watching netflix or reading. I hope your family can understand one day as do I with mine. Yeah I feel like Islam has showed me the good things to strive for and what not :)

Comment

Yeah I think so. My life didnt suck but for a period of 6 months I slipped into that drug life and felt so lost it was awful but least I found the light at the end of the tunnel and I agree I like having the simple and quiet life. I dont mind just hanging out at home watching netflix or reading. I hope your family can understand one day as do I with mine. Yeah I feel like Islam has showed me the good things to strive for and what not :)
                      alhamdulilah you came out the other side a lot of people dont, when i see my old friends it really makes me shudder the state they are in
                      how long since you became a muslim if you dont mind me asking

Comment

alhamdulilah you came out the other side a lot of people dont, when i see my old friends it really makes me shudder the state they are in
                        how long since you became a muslim if you dont mind me asking
                        Yeah same here and one of those friends of mine is in prison now cause of his using..but yes thank goodness I came out on the right side.
                        Ive only been a muslim for about 3 months now. I am still a noob l0l

Comment

Yeah same here and one of those friends of mine is in prison now cause of his using..but yes thank goodness I came out on the right side.
                          Ive only been a muslim for about 3 months now. I am still a noob l0l
                          dw i still consider myself as a new muslim, there is so much to learn
                          you're doing really well mashaallah keep it up
                          if you have any questions dont hesitate to let me know

Comment

dw i still consider myself as a new muslim, there is so much to learn
                            you're doing really well mashaallah keep it up
                            if you have any questions dont hesitate to let me know
                            thank you so much :) I am learning more and more everyday. Ill keep that in mind ^.^

Comment

Working...
                            X