Ads by Muslim Ad Network

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Salah struggles at work? (Should I quit?)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Salah struggles at work? (Should I quit?)

:salams all

I have this new part time job at a grocery store, I'm working 3 - 4 days a week for about 6 - 8 hours a day. During the days I work I miss the salah times as I'm working and we don't have a prayer room. The staff room is also too small and the floor is very dirty, so on these days my salah is qaza, but I don't like missing prayers and not praying on time.

Should I just quit the job? My family say you can't have everything all the time and that sometimes you just have to deal with it? It's quite hard currently to even get a job because of the economic situation, this job took me about 6 months to get. This week I had to do a Friday shift and I missed Jummah because I don't really have a choice on which days I work. I can change my days to 2 days a week, like Saturday and Sunday but only after 6 months. Will I be forgiven for missing 6 months of Jummah? I have a break for 30 minutes, but I can't really go to the mosque in that time as Jummah itself including the Khutbah lasts approximately 30 minutes, and the journey to the mosque is about 20 minutes.

In my view, I'm 20 and studying and need money to buy a car and other things, and I don't like taking money from my parents, I'm old enough now and I should be taking care of myself, but I've always thought that whatever you do you should have Allahs blessing, so even when earning money you should do things which are halal so you will have Allahs blessing if he wills, but how can I possible have his blessing when I am missing Jummah and my salah is qaza about 3-4 days a week.

Should I quit? or is this something I just gotta deal with?

:jkk: and apologies if I made any spelling mistakes above.
    You should quit!
    100.00%
    No brother, keep the job!
    0.00%
    Last edited by Minhajul; 22-03-15, 01:42 PM.
    Raising money for Bangladesh in 2019 - www.justgiving.com/minhajul

Re: Salah struggles at work? (Should I quit?)

:wswrwb:

they should facilitate your salah. have you spoken to them about this?

re. jummah, from what i know, so long as you don't miss 3 jummahs in a row youre okay.

لا تفكر كثيرا
    بل استغفر كثيرا

-------------------------------------------------------
    The children need your prayers more than anyone else
    -------------------------------------------------------
    www.inheritorsofquran.wordpress.com

Comment

Tough situation to be in.

Cannot really say anything.

Comment

I imagine that this is a common problem among a lot of the Ummah living outside of Islamic borders. I face the same dilemma. I'm not working right now, and looking for a job. I'm worried that I won't be able to find an employer that respects the times for salah, nevermind being able to leave for at least an hour for jum'ua every Friday. I have had luck in the past, but only Allah SWT knows what the future holds.

In Canada (where I live), the government has mandated that employers accommodate Muslims, and people of other faiths. I have been able to request my lunch so that zhur falls within my lunch break, and I take an afternoon break, if need be, for asr. I've had jobs where I started at 6 or 630am, so fajr was sometimes tricky as well.

It is our responsibility as Muslims to pray all salahs on time. And prayer is the first thing we will be questioned about on The Day of Reckoning. We should be aware of the importance of meeting our obligations, although it is often difficult. Ideally, we would like to be able to tell an employer to fly a kite if they don't accommodate us, but reality is that we may lose our jobs and therefore our livelihood as a result. It's a difficult choice. I would like to be able to demand that I work in an environment that allows me to pray and go to jum'ua and not have to worry about any consequences. I would take great pride in knowing that I was doing what is right in the eyes of Allah SWT, but at what cost?

Comment

Ideally, one day, I will make hijra. Problem solved, insha Allah.

Comment

Try talking causally about it, if your co-workers know you are Muslim & are ok with it. Ask them what they plan to do, then when they ask you what you plan to do after work be like; well, I have to make up my missed prayers since I miss them while working...etc. maybe after a while, someone will accommodate. Never start off a job by trying to get them to do something for you, earn their trust & respect first in your job.

Comment

Before I say anything else I just want to say this first, - dont miss any jumuah salah and even missing one is not ok at all, it is sinful.

I will get back to you:)

Hadhrat Ali (Radiallahu anhu)

Comment

Discuss with your fellow workers that you need time to practise your faith. And you are struggling to do so.
                https://www.ummah.com/forum/forum/lo...-qur-an-courseI am just a simple nomad.

Ephemeral reader

Comment

:wswrwb: negotiate because it is your right and if that doesn't work then leave for the sake of Allah and wallah Allah will give you something better inshaAllah.

Remember the whole world is our masjid.
                  The Messenger of Allah ﷺ said: “It will be said to the companion of the Qur’an: ‘Read, and ascend, and recite as you used to recite in the [previous] world, for your status will be according to the last verse that you recite.’” [At-Tirmidhi (2914) and Abu Dawood (1464)]

Comment

Ruling on not going to Jumu'ah

Missing salah generally is a huge huge issue. If you have to work extra hours to be able to pray during work then do that. You don't need a prayer room, you just need a place that's permissible to pray in.

Rizq, barakah and tawfeeq are from Allah.

Comment

:wswrwb:

Have you talked to your employer about this?

Originally posted by مسلمة View Post
                      Ruling on not going to Jumu'ah

Missing salah generally is a huge huge issue. If you have to work extra hours to be able to pray during work then do that. You don't need a prayer room, you just need a place that's permissible to pray in.

Rizq, barakah and tawfeeq are from Allah.
                      I concur

sigpic

Allahumma anta Rabbi la ilaha illa anta Khalaqtani wa ana'abduka, wa ana 'ala 'ahdika wa Wa'dika mastata'tu A'uidhubika min sharri ma sana'tu.' abu'u Laka bi ni 'matika wa'ala abu'u bidhanbi; faghfirli fa'innahu la yaghfiru-dh-dhunuba illa anta.
                      O Allah, You are my Lord, none has the right to be worshipped except You, You created me and I am Your servant and I abide to Your covenant and promise as best I can, I take refuge in You from the evil of which I have committed. I acknowledge Your favour upon me and I acknowledgemy sin, so forgive me, for verilynone can forgive sin except You.

We are accountable for every letter we post here, so think before posting and maintain modesty.

Comment

:salams

:jkk: to everyone for responding, I won't be able to get extra time off for Salah, or for Jummah and I think it's getting to the point where it might also be interfering with my studies, so I've decided to leave the job.

Thanks to everyone who responded, appreciate the help.

Comment

May Allah give you something better
                          http://media.giphy.com/media/125pZ6JB0FVrxe/giphy.gif

Comment

:jkk:

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                            X