Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Islamic Lectures Discussion 6: In Pursuit of Perfection by Hamza Yusuf

:salams

Like always, watch, reflect, and share your comments below!

This week is a short lecture, only three minutes, and it's from Hamza Yusuf. I know how some feel about him on this forum, but this is a good talk/clip so push those thoughts to the side and enjoy this.

In Pursuit of Perfection by Hamza Yusuf

The discussion will be up for two weeks inshaa'Allah!

If you have a lecture that you'd like to see featured here, please comment in the Islamic Lectures Discussion thread and you might see it here.
    مَّن ذَا الَّذِي يُقْرِضُ اللّهَ قَرْضًا حَسَنًا فَيُضَاعِفَهُ لَهُ أَضْعَافًا كَثِيرَةً وَاللّهُ يَقْبِضُ وَيَبْسُطُ وَإِلَيْهِ تُرْجَعُونَ

"Who is he that will loan to Allah a beautiful loan, which Allah will double unto his credit and multiply many times?
    It is Allah that giveth (you) Want or plenty, and to Him shall be your return."
    Surah al-Baqarah
    [2:245]

.:.
    .:. Perfer et Obdura : Dolor Hic Tibi Proderit Olim .:.
    Be patient and strong : someday this pain will be useful to you

...said the spider to the fly...

Re: Islamic Lectures Discussion 6: In Pursuit of Perfection by Hamza Yusuf

Why seek out perfection from the creation when perfection is only with Allah? Things would be so much easier if we were able to realize this.
    مَّن ذَا الَّذِي يُقْرِضُ اللّهَ قَرْضًا حَسَنًا فَيُضَاعِفَهُ لَهُ أَضْعَافًا كَثِيرَةً وَاللّهُ يَقْبِضُ وَيَبْسُطُ وَإِلَيْهِ تُرْجَعُونَ

"Who is he that will loan to Allah a beautiful loan, which Allah will double unto his credit and multiply many times?
    Surah al-Baqarah

Comment

Islamic Lectures Discussion 6: In Pursuit of Perfection by Hamza Yusuf

Biggest problem in my life - perfectionism and holding everyone to very high standards.

I'm still learning to realise all people and situations are always flawed and far from perfect.
      ‘If only I had done such-and-such, then such-and-such would have happened.’ Rather you should say, ‘Qaddara Allah wa ma sha a fa’ala (Allah decrees, and what He wills He does),’ for (the words) ‘If only’ open the door to the Shaytan.” (Narrated by Muslim).

Comment

~bump~

Surah al-Baqarah

Comment

I wonder...if we have this view that people must be perfect; and therefore, get angry and/or annoyed when they don't live up to our expectations, then would we do the same thing with Allah when it seems like our du'a isn't being answered? Or, would this mean that we're seeking someone/something to be on an equal level to Allah which could then be a minor form of shirk?

Surah al-Baqarah

Comment

Originally posted by Pippin1376 View Post
            I wonder...if we have this view that people must be perfect; and therefore, get angry and/or annoyed when they don't live up to our expectations, then would we do the same thing with Allah when it seems like our du'a isn't being answered? Or, would this mean that we're seeking someone/something to be on an equal level to Allah which could then be a minor form of shirk?

Surah al-Baqarah

Comment

I think this is important for marriage too, especially for those who are looking. No one should lower their expectations, but at the same time we should realize that we're not perfect that that the potential that you're talking to isn't perfect either. There will be times that you'll argue, bicker, and annoy one another. But that's part of the fun of marriage and working through these things helps the couple grow.

On the other hand, if we seek perfection where it doesn't exist that that just leaves us feeling jaded about women, men, marriage, and everything in life.

Even when it comes to news and the world in general. If you keep getting bitter about things, then maybe that's because you're seeking perfection in the creation when Allah is the Only One who is Perfect!

Surah al-Baqarah

Comment

~bump~

Surah al-Baqarah

Comment

~bump~

Surah al-Baqarah

Comment

I don't mind the lack of perfection as much as I mind the lack of objective discussion about its influence on our life's in dunya.

I find most people shy away from seeing the imperfections of their own actions and just dealing with how sub par we can be...even worse is when people can't vision the room for improvement.
                    ‘If only I had done such-and-such, then such-and-such would have happened.’ Rather you should say, ‘Qaddara Allah wa ma sha a fa’ala (Allah decrees, and what He wills He does),’ for (the words) ‘If only’ open the door to the Shaytan.” (Narrated by Muslim).

Comment

Originally posted by Nafs al Tawabah View Post
                      I don't mind the lack of perfection as much as I mind the lack of objective discussion about its influence on our life's in dunya.

I find most people shy away from seeing the imperfections of their own actions and just dealing with how sub par we can be...even worse is when people can't vision the room for improvement.
                      Both extremes are bad.

I remember I went to a lecture with Shaykh Moktar Moughrabi and he said that whenever you feel like you're amazing then remember that you were created with the lowest thing. Dirt/Mud. And if you're feeling horrible, like you're bad and feel like you're stuck then remember that your ruh came from Jannah.

Surah al-Baqarah

Comment

~bump~

Surah al-Baqarah

Comment

~bump~

Surah al-Baqarah

Comment

This is true, we aren't perfect, nor are our other brothers and sisters, but yet among us we expect perfection, we expect others to do this and that.

The thing we ourselves aren't perfect yet we decide to look for perfection in others, remind me of this one saying where there was a scholar I believe and he said that he wanted to change the world, but as he grew older and got wiser, he found out he needed to change himself first.

Comment

:wswrwb:

altho its a short clip, the beginning of the talk was too rich for me to undersatnd :/ but alhamdulillaah by tthe end of it, i get it (i think)

where is tht sticky thread abt qadr talk, co.? i wanted to post in it but i its nt sticky anymore?

:jkk:

sigpic

Allahumma anta Rabbi la ilaha illa anta Khalaqtani wa ana'abduka, wa ana 'ala 'ahdika wa Wa'dika mastata'tu A'uidhubika min sharri ma sana'tu.' abu'u Laka bi ni 'matika wa'ala abu'u bidhanbi; faghfirli fa'innahu la yaghfiru-dh-dhunuba illa anta.
                              O Allah, You are my Lord, none has the right to be worshipped except You, You created me and I am Your servant and I abide to Your covenant and promise as best I can, I take refuge in You from the evil of which I have committed. I acknowledge Your favour upon me and I acknowledgemy sin, so forgive me, for verilynone can forgive sin except You.

We are accountable for every letter we post here, so think before posting and maintain modesty.

Comment

Working...
                              X