Ads by Muslim Ad Network

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Islamic Lectures Discussion 4: Diseases of the heart & their cures by Yasmin Mogahed

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Islamic Lectures Discussion 4: Diseases of the heart & their cures by Yasmin Mogahed

Remember to listen to this and share your thoughts. You don't have to listen to the entire thing, if you don't have time, but listen to a bit and share your reflection here.

Title: Diseases of the heart & their cures
    Speaker: Sister Yasmin Mogahed
    Run time: 1:02 (the first minute isn't anything)

مَّن ذَا الَّذِي يُقْرِضُ اللّهَ قَرْضًا حَسَنًا فَيُضَاعِفَهُ لَهُ أَضْعَافًا كَثِيرَةً وَاللّهُ يَقْبِضُ وَيَبْسُطُ وَإِلَيْهِ تُرْجَعُونَ

"Who is he that will loan to Allah a beautiful loan, which Allah will double unto his credit and multiply many times?
    It is Allah that giveth (you) Want or plenty, and to Him shall be your return."
    Surah al-Baqarah
    [2:245]

.:.
    .:. Perfer et Obdura : Dolor Hic Tibi Proderit Olim .:.
    Be patient and strong : someday this pain will be useful to you

...said the spider to the fly...

Re: Islamic Lectures Discussion 4: Diseases of the heart & their cures by Yasmin Moga

There's also a 25 min Q&A session that goes with this.

مَّن ذَا الَّذِي يُقْرِضُ اللّهَ قَرْضًا حَسَنًا فَيُضَاعِفَهُ لَهُ أَضْعَافًا كَثِيرَةً وَاللّهُ يَقْبِضُ وَيَبْسُطُ وَإِلَيْهِ تُرْجَعُونَ

"Who is he that will loan to Allah a beautiful loan, which Allah will double unto his credit and multiply many times?
    Surah al-Baqarah

Comment

Re: Islamic Lectures Discussion 4: Diseases of the heart & their cures by Yasmin Moga

1st some background

For most of my life I was not religious, I always believed in God,that there is one creator I just did not understand God or what God wants..etc...I knew that I was Muslim(since I was born into a Muslim family) but I did not pray or act anyway else that would be religious, I really did not understand enough. I went to a Christian school during my elementary years but was not very influenced by it. It's actually good because otherwise I would not have known who many of the prophets even were(I was never taught anything about the prophets, Islamically). As a kid/teen I for some reason resented/disliked Jesus..I don't know why. Outside of my grandparents & my uncle(who is self righteous & uses religion as an excuse to treat people with disrespect), no one in my family is religious,no one prays. Growing up I had this attitude of "if they don't care, & act this way, why should I care?".

When I was a child/teen, the times I did go to the mosque, all I remember is the imam(my uncle) talking about; how you will burn in hell if you do this or that,"kaffirs" & about woman(hoor al ayn, but I didn't understand this when I was young). I saw a lot of hate, negativity in these speeches...not peace, acceptance of others, only the condemning of others. Islam was just about rules & hating anyone who did not agree with those rules.

As a kid I was also confused by "what is the difference in God/Allah"...I assumed Allah was a different Muslim god & that the Christian god was Jesus. As I mentioned above, my idea of God was that there was just one creator I just understood nothing about him.

I do however want to say, I am thankful that my uncle was there to introduce me to Islam, as a kid I sometimes "prayed" beside him..I simply imitated what he was doing but didn't understand it...

After trying to find ways out of depression I thought, maybe prayer & being religious is the answer. I had always made the excuse of "after I defeat depression,get healthier, I will try & start praying..being religious". I made lots of dua to Allah, to lead me, help me understand Islam..One day I asked my cousin who is overseas, if she knew of any Islamic lectures & she sent me a link to this video(I only recently found that there is a Q&A part to it).

After watching several lectures, I started to learn to pray, then a little at a time I built up from one prayer to five...I officially started praying five during last Ramadan.

This is one of the most inspirational videos to me. As I listened I felt like Yasmin gave this lecture just for me to hear(as well as her other lectures) I was really blown away at everything she said. I understand the deep meanings of things Yasmin says. Now I understand why many people do not practice, they have lost the essence of Islam, the driving force, the heart. I am not judging but I simply mean, I understand it.

I am thankful to Allah for leading me to Yasmin's lectures.

One thing I do need to get better at is reading Quran, I have really slacked on this. I will say, when I did read during Ramadan I was shocked when I saw "david/goliath" in the Quran. I was also shocked when Yasmin mentioned Johna(& the whale) in one of her lectures...to me these were Christian stories, that since I was not Christian, I had,in my mind, thrown away.

I may listen to tasfeers because I am an audio learner. When I was in college I hardly read anything outside of my written notes; I always listened & absorbed what the teacher was telling me.
      Last edited by Tide2006; 31-01-15, 02:26 AM.

Comment

Salam Aleykum
        Subhanallah, this one of the best and most vital (imo) videos about the teachings of life and better said of a muslim believer.
        I am really speechless.. This is a very forgotten, yet most importent (i think) topic.
        Allah al alam

Comment

~bump~

I'm going to leave my thoughts till the end this time.

Surah al-Baqarah

Comment

bump

Surah al-Baqarah

Comment

I think many people simply scroll passed the sticky threads & pay no attention to them...lol

Comment

:(

It's a good lecture and definitely ties into the last lecture.

Surah al-Baqarah

Comment

~bump~

One thing that I found interesting was how we raise our children when it comes to Allah. If we constantly tell them that Allah will punish and that there's only consequences, then there will never be any sort of bond between your kid and Allah. Since Allah said that His Mercy supersedes His Wrath we need to go about it at that angle when teaching kids and anyone really about Allah and this wonderful deen. The first things that the Sahabah learned was about Allah, the day of Judgment, Jannah, and Hell. Then the legal stuff came after and it was by doing this that they were able to fully hear and obey in a way that we could only imagine.

I also liked how she stressed the difference between complaining to Allah and complaining about Allah. Saying things like, "Why did Allah do this to me!!" is complaining about Allah and it isn't good at all.

But telling Allah that you're going through something difficult and need His Help, because He is the only One who can help you is complaining to Him and He loves when we do that. It brings a level of closeness between my Creator and His slaves. So complaining away, as long as you are doing it in the best of ways.

Surah al-Baqarah

Comment

Bump

Surah al-Baqarah

Comment

~bump~

Surah al-Baqarah

Comment

Another bump, inshaa'Allah more members will come and share their thoughts.....

though, it is a bit discouraging that these threads hardly have any comments. I'm still going to continue, since there's benefit here, but it is discouraging. :(

Surah al-Baqarah

Comment

I know how you feel. I have tried to get a few family members to watch this video for months now but they are "too busy"....

Comment

I was watching the Q and A, didn't realize the lecture above :/ but will def. get to it. This lecture came at a good time because I am trying to look up methods of detaching ones heart from the dunyah. I liked her point about how we feel Allah's mercy is fluctuating based on our deeds when in reality He has power over everything. We put a lot of hope into our own deeds so when your deeds are many you think you're good to go when in reality any forgiveness we will have is solely based on Allah's mercy.

Originally posted by Tide2006 View Post
                            1st some background

For most of my life I was not religious, I always believed in God,that there is one creator I just did not understand God or what God wants..etc...I knew that I was Muslim(since I was born into a Muslim family) but I did not pray or act anyway else that would be religious, I really did not understand enough. I went to a Christian school during my elementary years but was not very influenced by it. It's actually good because otherwise I would not have known who many of the prophets even were(I was never taught anything about the prophets, Islamically). As a kid/teen I for some reason resented/disliked Jesus..I don't know why. Outside of my grandparents & my uncle(who is self righteous & uses religion as an excuse to treat people with disrespect), no one in my family is religious,no one prays. Growing up I had this attitude of "if they don't care, & act this way, why should I care?".

When I was a child/teen, the times I did go to the mosque, all I remember is the imam(my uncle) talking about; how you will burn in hell if you do this or that,"kaffirs" & about woman(hoor al ayn, but I didn't understand this when I was young). I saw a lot of hate, negativity in these speeches...not peace, acceptance of others, only the condemning of others. Islam was just about rules & hating anyone who did not agree with those rules.

As a kid I was also confused by "what is the difference in God/Allah"...I assumed Allah was a different Muslim god & that the Christian god was Jesus. As I mentioned above, my idea of God was that there was just one creator I just understood nothing about him.

I do however want to say, I am thankful that my uncle was there to introduce me to Islam, as a kid I sometimes "prayed" beside him..I simply imitated what he was doing but didn't understand it...

After trying to find ways out of depression I thought, maybe prayer & being religious is the answer. I had always made the excuse of "after I defeat depression,get healthier, I will try & start praying..being religious". I made lots of dua to Allah, to lead me, help me understand Islam..One day I asked my cousin who is overseas, if she knew of any Islamic lectures & she sent me a link to this video(I only recently found that there is a Q&A part to it).

After watching several lectures, I started to learn to pray, then a little at a time I built up from one prayer to five...I officially started praying five during last Ramadan.

This is one of the most inspirational videos to me. As I listened I felt like Yasmin gave this lecture just for me to hear(as well as her other lectures) I was really blown away at everything she said. I understand the deep meanings of things Yasmin says. Now I understand why many people do not practice, they have lost the essence of Islam, the driving force, the heart. I am not judging but I simply mean, I understand it.

I am thankful to Allah for leading me to Yasmin's lectures.

One thing I do need to get better at is reading Quran, I have really slacked on this. I will say, when I did read during Ramadan I was shocked when I saw "david/goliath" in the Quran. I was also shocked when Yasmin mentioned Johna(& the whale) in one of her lectures...to me these were Christian stories, that since I was not Christian, I had,in my mind, thrown away.

I may listen to tasfeers because I am an audio learner. When I was in college I hardly read anything outside of my written notes; I always listened & absorbed what the teacher was telling me.
                            JazakhaAllah Khair for sharing your story. Its great to see how a simple lecture can be meaningful to many. I remember what first got me interested in Islam was a lecture by a speaker named bilal assad "those who desire paradise".

Originally posted by Pippin1376 View Post
                            ~bump~

One thing that I found interesting was how we raise our children when it comes to Allah. If we constantly tell them that Allah will punish and that there's only consequences, then there will never be any sort of bond between your kid and Allah. Since Allah said that His Mercy supersedes His Wrath we need to go about it at that angle when teaching kids and anyone really about Allah and this wonderful deen. The first things that the Sahabah learned was about Allah, the day of Judgment, Jannah, and Hell. Then the legal stuff came after and it was by doing this that they were able to fully hear and obey in a way that we could only imagine.

I also liked how she stressed the difference between complaining to Allah and complaining about Allah. Saying things like, "Why did Allah do this to me!!" is complaining about Allah and it isn't good at all.

But telling Allah that you're going through something difficult and need His Help, because He is the only One who can help you is complaining to Him and He loves when we do that. It brings a level of closeness between my Creator and His slaves. So complaining away, as long as you are doing it in the best of ways.
                            The first part of what you wrote to I identify with heavily, thats why a lot of people have to go through a stage of re-learning their deen for themselves and having a more balanced view. I kinda feel like the emphasis on wrath makes folks take an all or nothing approach, "why try if I am doomed anyway".
                            17-07

Comment

Originally posted by SheSaid View Post
                              The first part of what you wrote to I identify with heavily, thats why a lot of people have to go through a stage of re-learning their deen for themselves and having a more balanced view. I kinda feel like the emphasis on wrath makes folks take an all or nothing approach, "why try if I am doomed anyway".
                              I was thinking about this and when it comes to kids, if we only tell them that things are haram and that Allah will punish you if you disobey without mentioning His Mercy then the kids may look at Allah like the Baba Yaga or the monster stories that parents would use to scare their kids with. Obviously, Allah isn't like that at all, but in a kids mind they might start to associate Him with that and not have a good relationship with Him because of it. Whenever you hear about people leaving the religion (Islam or otherwise) they always mention how God is such a violent and punishing Creator and they want nothing to do with that.

Just like how there needs to be proper communication in a marriage, parents need proper communication with their kids so they understand things instead of being scared. Surah Luqman is a perfect guideline for parent/kid relationships and how to give them advice in a balanced way.

Surah al-Baqarah

Comment

Working...
                              X