No announcement yet.

Islamic Lectures Discussion 3: To Love Allah, For Allah's Sake by Omar Suleiman

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Islamic Lectures Discussion 3: To Love Allah, For Allah's Sake by Omar Suleiman

Remember to listen to this and share your thoughts. You don't have to listen to the entire thing, if you don't have time, but listen to a bit and share your reflection here.

Title: To Love Allah, For Allah's Sake
    Speaker: Shaykh Omar Suleiman
    Run time: 31:49

You can listen to just the audio version here - http://www.muslimcentralaudio.com/om...r-allahs-sake/
    مَّن ذَا الَّذِي يُقْرِضُ اللّهَ قَرْضًا حَسَنًا فَيُضَاعِفَهُ لَهُ أَضْعَافًا كَثِيرَةً وَاللّهُ يَقْبِضُ وَيَبْسُطُ وَإِلَيْهِ تُرْجَعُونَ

"Who is he that will loan to Allah a beautiful loan, which Allah will double unto his credit and multiply many times?
    It is Allah that giveth (you) Want or plenty, and to Him shall be your return."
    Surah al-Baqarah
    [2:245]

.:.
    .:. Perfer et Obdura : Dolor Hic Tibi Proderit Olim .:.
    Be patient and strong : someday this pain will be useful to you

...said the spider to the fly...

Re: Islamic Lectures Discussion 3: To Love Allah, For Allah's Sake by Omar Suleiman

So I really enjoyed this lecture and feel like this is topical to the nature of our ummah and society as a whole.

Hope you guys like this one!
    مَّن ذَا الَّذِي يُقْرِضُ اللّهَ قَرْضًا حَسَنًا فَيُضَاعِفَهُ لَهُ أَضْعَافًا كَثِيرَةً وَاللّهُ يَقْبِضُ وَيَبْسُطُ وَإِلَيْهِ تُرْجَعُونَ

"Who is he that will loan to Allah a beautiful loan, which Allah will double unto his credit and multiply many times?
    Surah al-Baqarah

Comment

Re: Islamic Lectures Discussion 3: To Love Allah, For Allah's Sake by Omar Suleiman

Guess I'll start. So after listening to this I felt so bad. Not bad, but worthless which I think is a good thing alhamdulillah. I started to really take a look at the relationship I had with Allah and question whether I use Him as a commodity or as my Lord, my Sustainer, My Master.

I hope it's the latter and I'm working on making sure that it's always the latter, but when I think about this I start to understand why we get users who come here and question why their du'as are not answered or if Allah loves them at all. Due to our lifestyle, we want things now and don't want to wait. If the computer takes too long to load a page, we get frustrated. If the bus doesn't show up and is late by five minutes, we think bad thoughts about the bus driver. If the thing that we're using isn't doing its job, then we hate it.

Likewise, if we want to reach a goal we're more inclined to fail because if we don't get that instant gratification, then we stop. As a society, we're lazy and look for quick fixes for things that you need to actually work hard for. To see an example of this, one just needs to look at the latest fat burning craze that Dr. Oz or whoever talks about. We want our goals to happen quickly. Our products to be fast and efficent. And sadly, that makes us start to feel the same way about Allah. We only go to Him when we need something because He is the One who Provides and when He doesn't answer our du'a right away we get frustrated. Sometimes we may even stop making du'a all together.

SubhanAllah. It's scary. There's a direct correlation between our relationship with Allah and patience. When we calm down and take a moment to look at Allah's Creation and then just talk to Him because you love Him, then it's the best feeling in the world. If He doesn't answer us right away, then that's okay because we know, with certainty, that He has got our back and will never forsaken us. May Allah bring us to that level and help us always have that kind of relationship with Him. Ameen.

Surah al-Baqarah

Comment

I know some users have issues with the Shaykh, but I still recommend this lecture because it's just on point. I think the message here will resonate with a lot of us and inshaa'Allah spark some interesting discussions.

Surah al-Baqarah

Comment

Another reflection....hope this thread doesn't end up being filled with just my posts :(

When the Prophet (SAW) was at the top of his life, he ran to Allah to fill that void that was missing in the dunya. When he got revelation and became a Prophet (SAW), his wealth - gone. His family - gone. His reputation - still good, but dragged through the mud by others. His life became a lot harder once Allah came into his life, but he never questioned Allah and was fine with everything. Nabi Yusuf (as) and his father, Nabi Yaquub (as) were tested hardcore. Nabi Yusuf (as) name was tarnished. He went from the best of households to the darkest of jails. And Nabi Yaquub (as) went through what every parent wishes that they could be saved from. Every single Prophet of Allah (as) went through hardships and yet they remained firm. It's almost mind boggling when you think of it, because we layfolk feel like the opposite should happen. When you run to Allah, then you get the riches of the world, the best of families, and your reputation is through the roof.

And that isn't the case. I know I'm not at that mindset, but there's something amazing about it that I hope Allah blesses us with that. Ameen. These men knew what was up and we don't. Okay we do, but we really don't. When we're faced with hardships we run the other way instead of being steadfast and firm in our beliefs. Even though each Prophet (as) was tested Allah still gave them good things in their life. I'm not saying that your life will be horrible the moment you follow Allah. No. But tests will come and these tests are necessary if we want to be closer to our Rabb.

Surah al-Baqarah

Comment

*deleted*
            Last edited by Rebel101; 22-01-15, 10:10 AM. Reason: rewatched. views changed. cbb rewriting

Comment

:)

Surah al-Baqarah

Comment

:salams:

JazakAllah khayr for picking out a great topic, this was quite a thought provoking talk. The example of RasulAllah especially, I had never really considered it like that before but it's so true... he was at a high point in his life yet he was still seeking Allah and completely detaching himself from that which he loved in order to do so. If we look to the best moments in our lives, for example when we reunite with our families after time apart, when we're given good news, when we pass our exams etc... sure we might utter a quick Alhamdulilah, but how often do we really consciously remember Allah in these moments? Not that I'm degrading the importance of saying Alhamdulilah of course, but we need to look at our sincerity and genuineness when it comes to these things.

Also amentioned in the lecture, an important point to think about concerning our relationship with Allah is how often we turn to Him and for what reasons, do we turn to Allah like we should, or only when we need something? I feel that this is something we all need to question ourselves about, and subhanAllah the one thing that stuck out to me is how merciful Allah is, how often is that we only turn to Allah when we need something and yet He still grants us what we wish? And sometimes even then we aren't grateful to Him :( may Allah forgive us and make us among those who are grateful.

Another important thing to remember is, in order to love Allah unconditionally, it needs to be in all circumstances and scenarios, whether we are at the highest point in our lives or the lowest. SubhanAllah it's really true what was mentioned in the lecture about Muslims in places like Palestine or Syria where they are undergoing the most brutal oppression yet their trust in Allah and their opinion never changes. How many times have we seen videos of a mother in Syria who sees her son or husband martyred and the first thing she does is praise Allah? I remember seeing a video of a Syrian man holding his dead child in his arms and he was saying "Alhamdulilah Allah blessed me with you my son, and Alhamdulilah Allah is taking you back to Him" - heartbreaking to say the least but if we just take a moment to reflect the sheer strength of their imaan... We get a lot of threads on this forum (and others) of people who complain about Allah due to issues they have in their lives be it illness or sadness or whatever, but if we just look to the members of our ummah that are in the worst of conditions and go through the worst pain possible, and still think good of Allah then what is our excuse? Having husnul dhann billah (thinking and expecting good from Allah) is important because you can't love someone that you don't think good of, so how can we love Allah if we don't think good of Him. And of course we have the most perfect of examples in the Messenger of Allah who would say (paraphrasing here) that as long as the hardships in his life were not a manifestation of Allah's anger towards him then he didn't care at all.

And finally, one more thing I got from the lecture is that loving Allah means putting his orders before your own desires. It means loving what Allah ordained for us more than what our nafs wants, simply because He is Allah. If we love someone we try to do everything for them right? We love our parents, and we don't want to anger them acting against their wishes. Even if someone was to act against their parents orders then they wouldn't do it in front of their parents noses, that would be a symbol of great disrespect. And of course Allah is Al Baseer, the All Seeing, so everything we do is seen by Him. In fact, we sin and go against the commands of Allah with the very same limbs that Allah blessed us with! But out of Allah's infinite, infinite mercy He forgives us. So how can we not love Him?
                اللهُمَّ أَعِزَّ الإِسْلامَ وَالمُسْلِمِينَ

Comment

I'm glad you benefited from the lecture and that you commented!

I think the term less is more is especially true when it comes to Allah. Not in terms of deeds or actions, but the less things you have to worry about in life the more time you'll have to appreciate Allah. When you think about it like that, then when the Prophet (SAW) tells us that an affordable nikah/mahr has the most barakah it's true - in terms of finances, but when you over spend your means and focus more on money then you start getting more attached and invested in the dunya aspect of the wedding and not the spiritual fulfilling part. The wedding, becomes your dunya addiction.

So for those of us living in the West, we're bombarreded with so many things, so many technologies, and so many life aspirations that we get bogged down in the details and forget about Allah. Plus, we live in a society that tells us that we can do anything and teachers can't say no anymore, so we've become entitled to getting whatever it is that we want. When it doesn't happen, we lash out first before reflecting. Compare that to those in war torn countries who don't have anything like we do and it's no wonder why their eeman is stronger. They see just how much this dunya can be taken away from you, so they'd rather focus on the hereafter than this place.

Surah al-Baqarah

Comment

Bump :)

Surah al-Baqarah

Comment

Anyone else have anything to say or add to this?

Surah al-Baqarah

Comment

Originally posted by Pippin1376 View Post
                        Anyone else have anything to say or add to this?
                        Thank you for increasing Islamic content on this site. Carry on doing that.

:jkk:

:salams
                        [SIZE=4][COLOR="#FF0000"][FONT=Book Antiqua][CENTER][B][URL="http://www.ummah.com/forum/showthread.php?459504-Immensely-rewarding-dhikr!!!&highlight="]IMMENSELY REWARDING DHIKR!!![/URL][/B][/CENTER][/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE]

[FONT=Book Antiqua][SIZE=4][COLOR="#2F4F4F"][CENTER]Before you post, think..."Will this help me when I stand before Allah?" If it doesn't, then you're wasting time....[/CENTER][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

Comment

Originally posted by |Abdur Raheem| View Post
                          Thank you for increasing Islamic content on this site. Carry on doing that.

:jkk:

:salams
                          Wa iyyaka

But please share your own thoughts on the lecture as well.

Surah al-Baqarah

Comment

Another bump - if this is annoying to others...sorry, but Imma keep doing it.

Surah al-Baqarah

Comment

Originally posted by Pippin1376 View Post
                              Another bump - if this is annoying to others...sorry, but Imma keep doing it.
                              Gimme a few days. Other lectures already in the waiting list.
                              [SIZE=4][COLOR="#FF0000"][FONT=Book Antiqua][CENTER][B][URL="http://www.ummah.com/forum/showthread.php?459504-Immensely-rewarding-dhikr!!!&highlight="]IMMENSELY REWARDING DHIKR!!![/URL][/B][/CENTER][/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE]

[FONT=Book Antiqua][SIZE=4][COLOR="#2F4F4F"][CENTER]Before you post, think..."Will this help me when I stand before Allah?" If it doesn't, then you're wasting time....[/CENTER][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

Comment

Working...
                              X