Ads by Muslim Ad Network

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Nouman Ali Khan - Islam & Ego Discussion Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Nouman Ali Khan - Islam & Ego Discussion Thread

    In an effort to talk about Islam more often, the forum will have weekly lecture discussions. If there's a lecture you want us to discuss next week, then head over to the main thread and nominate a lecture there.

    Click here for that - http://www.ummah.com/forum/showthrea...cussion-thread

    This week it's NAK with Islam & Ego.



    If you prefer just audio, then here's the link for that: http://www.muslimcentralaudio.com/no...islam-and-ego/
    مَّن ذَا الَّذِي يُقْرِضُ اللّهَ قَرْضًا حَسَنًا فَيُضَاعِفَهُ لَهُ أَضْعَافًا كَثِيرَةً وَاللّهُ يَقْبِضُ وَيَبْسُطُ وَإِلَيْهِ تُرْجَعُونَ

    "Who is he that will loan to Allah a beautiful loan, which Allah will double unto his credit and multiply many times?
    It is Allah that giveth (you) Want or plenty, and to Him shall be your return."
    Surah al-Baqarah
    [2:245]

    .:.
    .:. Perfer et Obdura : Dolor Hic Tibi Proderit Olim .:.
    Be patient and strong : someday this pain will be useful to you

    .:.
    ...said the spider to the fly...

  • #2
    Re: Nouman Ali Khan - Islam & Ego Discussion Thread

    One thing that catch my ear was when he was talking about how the shaytan and his views on Nabi Adam (as).

    I started to think about it some more and it kind of blew my mind. Shaytan hated our father from the moment that he saw him, but why? He thought he was better - at what exactly? Iblis was the best of Jinns and now there's a human around and he thinks he can do a better job worshiping Allah than us. That jealousy of having competition. Jealousy that there's now an 'inferior' being that can get near Allah. He thought of himself as the best and that Allah didn't need us.

    Even though it was the wrong course of action for him to take as it led him astray in the worse of ways, I can't help but notice how human his emotion is. We all suffer from this at some point in our lives. We think that we're better suited for a job and wonder why someone else was picked. Or feel like our ideas are best and that to go with views of someone else would be simply ludicrous. Sometimes this emotion can make us do some crazy stuff. I mean, just look at certain dramas and see how the girls behave when their love interest starts looking at another girl. On the shows, the girls scheme and scheme and in the end their love interest sees how horrible they are and she ends up in a worse spot than before.

    These characters are like Iblis and I don't want to live a life being as pathetic as that. May Allah protect us from ourselves and our own egos.
    مَّن ذَا الَّذِي يُقْرِضُ اللّهَ قَرْضًا حَسَنًا فَيُضَاعِفَهُ لَهُ أَضْعَافًا كَثِيرَةً وَاللّهُ يَقْبِضُ وَيَبْسُطُ وَإِلَيْهِ تُرْجَعُونَ

    "Who is he that will loan to Allah a beautiful loan, which Allah will double unto his credit and multiply many times?
    It is Allah that giveth (you) Want or plenty, and to Him shall be your return."
    Surah al-Baqarah
    [2:245]

    .:.
    .:. Perfer et Obdura : Dolor Hic Tibi Proderit Olim .:.
    Be patient and strong : someday this pain will be useful to you

    .:.
    ...said the spider to the fly...

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Nouman Ali Khan - Islam & Ego Discussion Thread

      ~bump~

      Come ummahites! Share your thoughts and help bring in more Islamic content and discussions on this forum.
      مَّن ذَا الَّذِي يُقْرِضُ اللّهَ قَرْضًا حَسَنًا فَيُضَاعِفَهُ لَهُ أَضْعَافًا كَثِيرَةً وَاللّهُ يَقْبِضُ وَيَبْسُطُ وَإِلَيْهِ تُرْجَعُونَ

      "Who is he that will loan to Allah a beautiful loan, which Allah will double unto his credit and multiply many times?
      It is Allah that giveth (you) Want or plenty, and to Him shall be your return."
      Surah al-Baqarah
      [2:245]

      .:.
      .:. Perfer et Obdura : Dolor Hic Tibi Proderit Olim .:.
      Be patient and strong : someday this pain will be useful to you

      .:.
      ...said the spider to the fly...

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Nouman Ali Khan - Islam & Ego Discussion Thread

        I don't get the bit where in the beginning he says how when one start practicing, one tend to get frustrated with family members and friends who are not so high in emaan as they are.

        Am. Jst paraphrasing here btw

        But shouldn't one feel frustrated seeing sins and bad deeds around?

        Have I misunderstood him? Pls explain :insha:

        sigpic

        Allahumma anta Rabbi la ilaha illa anta Khalaqtani wa ana'abduka, wa ana 'ala 'ahdika wa Wa'dika mastata'tu A'uidhubika min sharri ma sana'tu.' abu'u Laka bi ni 'matika wa'ala abu'u bidhanbi; faghfirli fa'innahu la yaghfiru-dh-dhunuba illa anta.
        O Allah, You are my Lord, none has the right to be worshipped except You, You created me and I am Your servant and I abide to Your covenant and promise as best I can, I take refuge in You from the evil of which I have committed. I acknowledge Your favour upon me and I acknowledgemy sin, so forgive me, for verilynone can forgive sin except You.



        We are accountable for every letter we post here, so think before posting and maintain modesty.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Nouman Ali Khan - Islam & Ego Discussion Thread

          I think he means that you get easily frustrated that you see sins happening, so you act in a way that doesn't show mercy. Instead of gently helping your siblings pray so they can taste the sweetness of this deen, you get angry and start yelling at them.
          مَّن ذَا الَّذِي يُقْرِضُ اللّهَ قَرْضًا حَسَنًا فَيُضَاعِفَهُ لَهُ أَضْعَافًا كَثِيرَةً وَاللّهُ يَقْبِضُ وَيَبْسُطُ وَإِلَيْهِ تُرْجَعُونَ

          "Who is he that will loan to Allah a beautiful loan, which Allah will double unto his credit and multiply many times?
          It is Allah that giveth (you) Want or plenty, and to Him shall be your return."
          Surah al-Baqarah
          [2:245]

          .:.
          .:. Perfer et Obdura : Dolor Hic Tibi Proderit Olim .:.
          Be patient and strong : someday this pain will be useful to you

          .:.
          ...said the spider to the fly...

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Nouman Ali Khan - Islam & Ego Discussion Thread

            Originally posted by Ansaariyah View Post
            I don't get the bit where in the beginning he says how when one start practicing, one tend to get frustrated with family members and friends who are not so high in emaan as they are.

            Am. Jst paraphrasing here btw

            But shouldn't one feel frustrated seeing sins and bad deeds around?

            Have I misunderstood him? Pls explain :insha:
            What he is trying to convey is that one should not forget where they were before they started practising - for them to remember, how Allah had guided them to the truth, thus they should practice being patience with those around them. Rather than getting frustrated, they should be gentle, show humility and humbleness..unfortunately, many forget where they were before and assume this high moral status over their fellows.

            I hope that helped.
            Last edited by Zulekha100; 20-12-14, 11:18 PM.
            Life creates alittle laughter and gives many reasons to cry; it gives a little but withholds far more

            Comment


            • #7
              Nouman Ali Khan - Islam & Ego Discussion Thread

              I keep forgetting to watch this

              Hopefully will watch it tomorrow morning :insha:
              Last edited by The Awakening; 21-12-14, 03:40 PM.
              اللهُمَّ أَعِزَّ الإِسْلامَ وَالمُسْلِمِينَ

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Nouman Ali Khan - Islam & Ego Discussion Thread

                The part that stuck out to me was his discussion of how we think that we control certain situations for ex. You think that if your not present in a certain organization they won't do things right which isn't necessarily true because ultimatley its up to Allah or the example of who will take care of our families when we pass away.

                It was really good though I feel like the best thing to wipe out our arrogance is lived experience especially when your really young you think you know everything but then Allah puts you in situations that completly wipes out your arrogance and shows you exactly where you stand.
                17-07

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Nouman Ali Khan - Islam & Ego Discussion Thread

                  I always wonder whether one can go too far in putting down/keeping their ego in check...? Is there such a thing as ego suggesting something good?

                  It is so easy yet so hard to grab the opportunities in daily life to subdue our egos, when you catch it in one place it runs free in another situation - guess it's a life long process of humbling oneself.
                  ‘If only I had done such-and-such, then such-and-such would have happened.’ Rather you should say, ‘Qaddara Allah wa ma sha a fa’ala (Allah decrees, and what He wills He does),’ for (the words) ‘If only’ open the door to the Shaytan.” (Narrated by Muslim).

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Nouman Ali Khan - Islam & Ego Discussion Thread

                    Finally got round to watching it, alhamdulilah it was a real eye-opener I must say.

                    I liked the point where it said that ego stems from being unappreciative of Allah, and replacing that with an undue appreciate for ones' self. The irony of the situation is that our self is something bestowed upon us by Allah - so where is the logic in being overly impressed with ourselves when we had no part to play in our creation in the first place? It's like being impressed with yourself for being able to see, or hear, or smell - none of these blessings have anything to do with us, it's all from Allah. Likewise, we should see our actions in the same way - without Allah we aren't able to do anything. Without Allah we aren't able to pass our exams, to work out at the gym, to please our parents, to succeed at work - all of the things which make us feel good about ourselves, we wouldn't be able to do were it not for Allah.

                    Similarly, kibr is a manifestation of the ego and it kills the soul. The hardened heart - amongst it's many ills - is full of kibr, as opposed the humble and submissive heart which has life in it and love of Allah. But alhamdulilah we know that Allah can give life to the dead heart the same way He gives life to the dead earth, all we have to do is put in the effort.

                    Another important point was to remember where you came from - we all had a point in our lives when religion wasn't a real priority to us, whether that was obvious openly or not. Before our ego makes us believe that we're better than others who are still in the state we used to be in, we should remember the immense blessing that Allah has given us by re-awakening in us a love for Islam. Without this, Allah knows where we would be... We were pulled from the edge of the fire by the mercy and favour of Allah, and it is not befitting for someone like that to look down on another who is dangling over that very same edge themselves.
                    Last edited by The Awakening; 21-12-14, 03:42 PM.
                    اللهُمَّ أَعِزَّ الإِسْلامَ وَالمُسْلِمِينَ

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Nouman Ali Khan - Islam & Ego Discussion Thread

                      Originally posted by The Awakening View Post
                      Finally got round to watching it, alhamdulilah it was a real eye-opener I must say.

                      I liked the point where it said that ego stems from being unappreciative of Allah, and replacing that with an undue appreciate for ones' self. The irony of the situation is that our self is something bestowed upon us by Allah - so where is the logic in being overly impressed with ourselves when we had no part to play in our creation in the first place? It's like being impressed with yourself for being able to see, or hear, or smell - none of these blessings have anything to do with us, it's all from Allah. Likewise, we should see our actions in the same way - without Allah we aren't able to do anything. Without Allah we aren't able to pass our exams, to work out at the gym, to please our parents, to succeed at work - all of the things which make us feel good about ourselves, we wouldn't be able to do were it not for Allah.

                      Similarly, kibr is a manifestation of the ego and it kills the soul. The hardened heart - amongst it's many ills - is full of kibr, as opposed the humble and submissive heart which has life in it and love of Allah. But alhamdulilah we know that Allah can give life to the dead heart the same way He gives life to the dead earth, all we have to do is put in the effort.

                      Another important point was to remember where you came from - we all had a point in our lives when religion wasn't a real priority to us, whether that was obvious openly or not. Before our ego makes us believe that we're better than others who are still in the state we used to be in, we should remember the immense blessing that Allah has given us by re-awakening in us a love for Islam. Without this, Allah knows where we would be... We were pulled from the edge of the fire by the mercy and favour of Allah, and it is not befitting for someone like that to look down on another who is dangling over that very same edge themselves.
                      Masha'allah Ukhti, nicely put. Thought provoking.
                      Life creates alittle laughter and gives many reasons to cry; it gives a little but withholds far more

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Nouman Ali Khan - Islam & Ego Discussion Thread

                        Originally posted by SheSaid View Post
                        The part that stuck out to me was his discussion of how we think that we control certain situations for ex. You think that if your not present in a certain organization they won't do things right which isn't necessarily true because ultimatley its up to Allah or the example of who will take care of our families when we pass away.
                        Here's a question then.

                        What is the difference between feeling like something can't do well unless you're present and feeling like the others are not responsible enough to handle something? Both scenarios have you going and making things right, but both also seem very different from one another. One deals more with ego and the other one is lack of trust. I suppose it would depend on how responsible they are.
                        مَّن ذَا الَّذِي يُقْرِضُ اللّهَ قَرْضًا حَسَنًا فَيُضَاعِفَهُ لَهُ أَضْعَافًا كَثِيرَةً وَاللّهُ يَقْبِضُ وَيَبْسُطُ وَإِلَيْهِ تُرْجَعُونَ

                        "Who is he that will loan to Allah a beautiful loan, which Allah will double unto his credit and multiply many times?
                        It is Allah that giveth (you) Want or plenty, and to Him shall be your return."
                        Surah al-Baqarah
                        [2:245]

                        .:.
                        .:. Perfer et Obdura : Dolor Hic Tibi Proderit Olim .:.
                        Be patient and strong : someday this pain will be useful to you

                        .:.
                        ...said the spider to the fly...

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Nouman Ali Khan - Islam & Ego Discussion Thread

                          I am glad I watched this. I have actually seen this video in the suggested videos, a lot, & felt "meh I don't need that"...I did.

                          First thing I thought when I started is, ok I need to watch this so I can show (this family members name) because they are egotistical & use religion to justify their actions..etc..That in itself, the way I felt...was ego. So, I do need to fix that..


                          I actually have talked to a cousin recently, trying to get her to watch some religious videos, she doesn't want to..refuses..I want her too so she can be more happy/religious ..I guess me trying to help her be more religious, is ego itself..The way I approach it, is.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: Nouman Ali Khan - Islam & Ego Discussion Thread

                            I know this thread is for the NAK lecture but I found this short clip of shaykh Ahmad Jibril speaking of a similar issue which I thought compliments the above lecture quite well. This clip refers to ego and ibadah/islamic deeds. It's only 3 or so mins long, would recommend you all watch it.

                            اللهُمَّ أَعِزَّ الإِسْلامَ وَالمُسْلِمِينَ

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: Nouman Ali Khan - Islam & Ego Discussion Thread

                              Originally posted by Pippin1376 View Post
                              Here's a question then.

                              What is the difference between feeling like something can't do well unless you're present and feeling like the others are not responsible enough to handle something? Both scenarios have you going and making things right, but both also seem very different from one another. One deals more with ego and the other one is lack of trust. I suppose it would depend on how responsible they are.
                              I'm not quite sure I follow difference between the two situations, I feel like their the same and go hand in hand. Either way, thinking that things are in your hands is questionable IMO because Allah can easily bring someone to that organization that is better then you or have another person step up to the plate that is more responsible and can get the job done.
                              17-07

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X