Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Middle Names of Children

:salams:

Is it permissible in Islam to give children non-Islamic middle (or even, first) names?

For example, naming a girl: Amina Elizabeth Ahmad, or Elizabeth Ahmad

:jkk:
    Life's actually pretty simple: you just have to enjoy it, pray, do good, refrain from bad, and respect others. Being Muslim is not a disadvantage or an advantage - it's a responsibility.
    "So patiently persevere: for verily the promise of Allah is true" (Qur'an, Surah Ar-Rum - 30:60)

Middle Names of Children

I don't know the answer to this, but why would anyone want to do that? :scratch:
    اللهُمَّ أَعِزَّ الإِسْلامَ وَالمُسْلِمِينَ

Comment

Re: Middle Names of Children

Originally posted by The Awakening View Post
      I don't know the answer to this, but why would anyone want to do that? :scratch:
      Maybe they want their kids to have an American name?

Comment

:wswrwb:

none of my names are islamic

i thought it was allowed so long as there is no bad meaning

therefore so long as they aren't unislamic :p

Comment

I was just wondering if it was possible to do something like this for children.

Yeah, I always thought we could name the children almost anything as long as their names didn't have a bad meaning.
          Last edited by starrynight11; 03-12-14, 02:34 AM.
          Life's actually pretty simple: you just have to enjoy it, pray, do good, refrain from bad, and respect others. Being Muslim is not a disadvantage or an advantage - it's a responsibility.
          "So patiently persevere: for verily the promise of Allah is true" (Qur'an, Surah Ar-Rum - 30:60)

Comment

I have not heard of anything saying you cant have middle names, and my kids have more than 1 name.

I wouldn't go for Elizabeth or kufaar names and I also believe that to name a child after someone can result in Allah swt giving the person attributes from that person. Here I mean sahabah ra etc rather than Muhammad ali after a boxer

Comment

What about something like 'Faith' as a middle name? It's not specific to the kuffar, per se.

But some non-Muslims may use that, and it's not very typical among Muslims, either. Hmm...
              Last edited by starrynight11; 03-12-14, 02:45 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by starrynight11 View Post
                What about something like 'Faith' as a middle name? It's not specific to the kuffar, per se.

But some non-Muslims may use that, and it's not very typical among Muslims, either. Hmm...
                truthfully I don't know about those names, although I would always go with Imaan over faith personally

also I think intention is a huge part too. So people calling their kids Adam may well really be doing it to sound ''western'' rather than Aadam AI. But when asked say its because of Aadam Ai. Of course they can tell us anything but Allah swt knows

Comment

What if you name yor child something because it sounds nice, would that be a bad intention?

Comment

Originally posted by missmirah02 View Post
                    What if you name yor child something because it sounds nice, would that be a bad intention?
                    depends on the name I suppose

but remember one of the best things parents give their children is a good name. That is hadith

I know a hindu woman who liked my little brothers name so much she named her first son that name, if it was vice versa then not sure that would be allowed even if the meaning wasn't bad etc

Comment

Originally posted by starrynight11 View Post
                      :salams:

Is it permissible in Islam to give children non-Islamic middle (or even, first) names?

For example, naming a girl: Amina Elizabeth Ahmad, or Elizabeth Ahmad

:jkk:
                      Who calls out or refers to all 3 names anyway? You're only ever called by first & last name. So, whose gonna know the middle name?

Comment

Originally posted by chameleon View Post
                        Who calls out or refers to all 3 names anyway? You're only ever called by first & last name. So, whose gonna know the middle name?
                        Close relatives and family, maybe.

Comment

Working...
                        X