how do you get parents to take you seriously

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how do you get parents to take you seriously

..when all this while theyve been treating you like a kid even when youre still 18? I find myself not feeling treated like a grown up and not being heard by them.

. It kinda creeps me out when for instance my mom would come into my room and call my name in a very babyish way lol Also sometimes when i take my mum outside in public, shed embarrass me by picking out clothes for me. I get extremely humiliated esp when she openly ridicules me in public; i feel like a dependant baby. Im soooo used to having dresses pre ordered and customized by her that i dont need to buy new ones myself. everything goes to her taste and my opinions get ignored sometimes and it drives me nuts. But i let it go. Coz shes mom.

Coz of this i feel like she'll take control over my personal life like eg when i leave home to get married.

Family position does play a role i guess for me? Im the youngest and only daughter with 4 older siblings. But i dont wanna feel like a baby anymore.

Re: how do you get parents to take you seriously

Get more responsible. Show her that ur mature

Comment

Originally posted by nudgetheputri View Post
      ..when all this while theyve been treating you like a kid even when youre still 18? I find myself not feeling treated like a grown up and not being heard by them.

. It kinda creeps me out when for instance my mom would come into my room and call my name in a very babyish way lol Also sometimes when i take my mum outside in public, shed embarrass me by picking out clothes for me. I get extremely humiliated esp when she openly ridicules me in public; i feel like a dependant baby. Im soooo used to having dresses pre ordered and customized by her that i dont need to buy new ones myself. everything goes to her taste and my opinions get ignored sometimes and it drives me nuts. But i let it go. Coz shes mom.

Coz of this i feel like she'll take control over my personal life like eg when i leave home to get married.

Family position does play a role i guess for me? Im the youngest and only daughter with 4 older siblings. But i dont wanna feel like a baby anymore.
      Wow. In this the making of that unique person called.........the Mummy's girl...??? LOL

OP, sorry I just had to say that after all the threads and comments in the marriage section about mummy's boys. No offence I hope?

It's always hard for some parents to let go. 8, 18, 28....you'll still always be her little girl. Just tell her straight that you're uncomfortable about it. She probably doesn't even realise she's showing you up. So make a stand.

Comment

Last edited by wifeseeker; 14-02-15, 01:02 AM. Reason: old

Comment

Your parents love you...
          www.treasureofthescholars.wordpress.com

Comment

lool :rotfl:

If it bothers you a lot, then be open and honest about it but in a gentle way.
            Nothing is impossible with Allah:o

Comment

Some parents are just like that.

They may feel offended if you try to stop them.

You will still be their kid no matter how old you are lol, so Id say just embrace it.

Also, I dont think she's purposely ridiculing you in public. If it is real bad then you could tell her nicely you dont like it.
              “Mix with the noble people, you become one of them; and keep away from evil people so that you protect yourself from their evils.”

Hadhrat Ali (Radiallahu anhu)

Comment

lol..just enjoy her love..one day, it wont be there for whatever reason.

I am a 'helicopter mother' too and my poor child has to just endure the love I have for her...Your mother's love is coming from somewhere deep..only she will at some point have to let you grow up and be independent..so be gentle with her.
                Life creates alittle laughter and gives many reasons to cry; it gives a little but withholds far more

Comment

u have to be grown-up in your thought and your actions. Prove your parents with your actions, not your sayings. and you have responsiblity for what you've done. of course your parents love you, you should know
                  Last edited by lucy93; 08-12-14, 02:50 PM.

Comment

What you are getting in pure unconditional suffocating love :D

Have you thought how you would feel if it was not there?

Comment

Originally posted by zi-zizou View Post
                      What you are getting in pure unconditional suffocating love :D

Have you thought how you would feel if it was not there?
                      I never thought about that, ever mashallah. Now i think this needs to be a reminder for myself, esp so when my mom and dad are getting old. Thank you so much.

Comment

Working...
                      X