Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The "Power" of Music

By Lynn Jefferies

"Mommy why are you crying" Tessniem looked up at me with her deep brown eyes. I shook my head and turned my eyes away from her? Her little hand grabbed my right hand gently, "Mommy what is it, aren't you happy anymore?"

Shifting to meet me face on. I walked quickly out of the dairy aisle to the cleaning aisle where it was less populated. I pretended to stare at the Dawn dish washing soap, running my fingers over the different colored bottles and scents. But Tessniem was unrelenting.

How could I say that the song played on the speakers in a grocery store reminded of something from my past? How could a little girl understand that just a few lines and notes set in a specific melody could make me so sad and depressed? How could I tell her that I can't control it? I left my grocery cart in the aisle and pulled her by her hand out of the store. I knew she was confused as we climbed in the car and turned on the air conditioner full blast, "Mommy, what's wrong?"

I knew she was turned towards me totally confused. I tried to get the tune out of my mind and think about what I was going to say. Shall I tell her that this song I heard when I was trapped in Iraq during the Gulf war and I missed my brother so much? How could a little girl who listens to singing (without music) about Allah and family understand this?

But this song took me back so far in time when I was holding my infant son and the bombs were dropping all over Baghdad the night before. I remembered everything, my last call with my Dad and brother before the electricity, water and phone lines had been wiped out by "smart bombs", how could I tell her that this little song playing over the speakers while I was looking for low fat milk could change my happy mood as though a magician had waved his ugly wand over me and put me into another world?!

I turned to her holding her left hand: "You know Tessniem that Mommy wasn't always a Muslim". She looked up at my eyes scrunching her eyebrows together trying to find the link. "Well I have told you before that when I was raised I used to listen and sing music all the time". She smiled and nodded her head. Her silence was making me not want to go on, but I knew that I had no choice. "Well, because I was raised to listen to music all the time; it starts to become like part of your body, you learn to feel through music."

Tessniem sat up quickly, "Well we listen to Islamic songs about Allah and you said that is ok." Looking out at the parking lot, "Tessniem, honey do you need music?" She shook her little head "no". Looking down at her, "Do you have to have the music on all the time in the house, car, everywhere you go?" She started to look confused, "no". "Do you feel deep emotions that you can't feel otherwise unless you turn on the Islamic songs?" Shaking her head steadily, "No, Mommy".

Sighing my shoulder moved up and down, "Well, that is the difference; I was raised where music was everything; we couldn't sit in a quiet room for more than a minute. Either the TV or the radio had to be on." Thinking back like a dream that never existed, "We needed music to feel and express ourselves, it's like a drug. People spend so much time taking care of their CD like the most precious collection." "Honey, they need it to stay calm to relax, to love, to hate, to feel anger, to feel peace."

Tessniem looked thoroughly confused now. "It's part of their body; it has the "power" to change moods, sometimes the mood is happy, but sometimes the mood is destructive to women and society like those guys with the long hair called Acid Rock Bands."

Tessniem giggled, "Oh yea, they looked weird". Smiling "Well, with music it can be quite controlling and that can be scary." Tessniem adjusted the air vents, "You know, Mommy, I have to tell you something, one time I saw one of the music songs on TV and the girls were dressed bad and the boys and girls were doing bad things together."

I tried not to look surprised, "Well, Tessniem, this is why Allah makes important guidelines for all of us to live by, so that we can concentrate on the beautiful Qur'an and its message instead of being controlled by music." Tessniem jumped up on the black vinyl seat, "Ok Mommy, let's write a letter and tell everybody to stop doing music and give them all a Qur'an tape, of course, they can pick which Qur'an reader they want and we can give them some of our Islamic tapes too".

A warm smile spread over my face thinking about how eager children are to fix the world so easily! "Well, Tessniem, that is a good idea, but I think we will have to take it a little more slowly" Jumping in her seat again, "Oh, oh, I know I can e-mail a letter to that TV music channel and tell them about Islam and the Qur'an and Islamic songs that they can use; maybe they won't like it because there are no instruments, but I can try." Nodding my head slowly, "Yes, I guess you could try, Sweetheart; why not?"

Tessniem reached over and gave me a huge hug as though the answers to all the world's problems had been fixed. I smiled remembering that a Muslim should be optimistic!

Growing up in an extremely musical family, since I was three years old, I was put on top of my mother's grand piano and taught how to sing everything from Jingle Bells to Blues with Diana Ross to Jesus Christ Super Star (Allah forgive me). In most cultures around the world people literally "live" for music. If they want to be happy they turn something bright and cheerful on, if they want to be melancholy, they play an old song, if they want to "feel" in love they turn on love songs. Funny how we accept this openly without any question. I never questioned it growing up, in fact I wrote many songs to express how I felt.

Below are quotes by musicians in their own words regarding music's impact on people:

- "Music is so naturally united with us that we cannot be free from it even if we so desired." (Boethius cited by Storr)

- "Certain brain structures also are larger in musicians. This suggests that music training can influence brain organization and ability." (Music Training and the Brain page 2)

- "In general, responses to music are able to be observed. It has been proven that music influences humans both in good and bad ways. These effects are instant and long lasting. Music is thought to link all of the emotional, spiritual, and physical elements of the universe. Music can also be used to change a person's mood, and has been found to cause like physical responses in many people simultaneously. Music also has the ability to strengthen or weaken emotions from a particular event such as a funeral." (Laurence O'Donnell III is a musicist from Perth, Scotland)

- "Rhythm is also an important aspect of music to study when looking at responses to music. There are two responses to rhythm. These responses are hard to separate because they are related, and one of these responses cannot exist without the other. These responses are the actual hearing of the rhythm and the physical response to the rhythm. Rhythm organizes physical movements and is very much related to the human body." (Laurence O'Donnell III is a musicist from Perth, Scotland)

Why are people so attached to music? Why is this addiction so difficult to give up? When I "gave up the addiction" my family had a very difficult time. They felt betrayed, hurt and angry. They felt that I was letting go of them our culture and our family history. I was so shocked by their reaction that I decided that I had to study more about the Islamic view of music and singing.

What I learned about this intense personal addiction to music is that people "feel" through music. They have been conditioned since they were small to learn to feel, express, sing through music. I know that I did. When I was sad I composed songs that expressed my deepest feelings. Once written I could sing it to my mother who would instantly cry. If I wrote a song about my happy feelings, smiles would come to the faces of the audience and they would clap happily. Actually if you think about it this is scary. This is a mood-altering device that is almost like magic!

Islam is for all people and for all times. Allah (SWT) sent with his final Messenger beautiful legislation with Allah's Wisdom. Just like the one who claims: "I am not an alcoholic, I just drink a glass of wine once a week", Islam isn't for just one person who has "control". It is for all people, like the man who professes: "I am not an alcoholic, I only drink 3 glasses a day". People's definition of alcoholism varies from one person to another, from one country to another. But for Islam, it sets boundaries from the beginning to weed out all potential alcoholics, drug abusers and music addicts.

So what is the big deal about music anyway? Why shouldn't this mood altering "drug" be allowed? Even segments of Western society are aghast at the affect of music on their children's behavior, dress, mood and views. Anti-family, anti-social, rebellious themes, pre-marital sex, sexual gender confusion, hate towards family, women etc. Disney posters are being replaced by posters of pop stars as young as 7 years old!

After Iblees (Satan) refused to bow before Adam as ordered, he requested that Allah grant him respite until the Day of Resurrection, so that he may misguide all but a few of the descendants of Adam (peace be upon him). Allah, the Glorious and Exalted, addressed Satan thus, "And excite any of them whom you can with your voice. Assault them with your cavalry and infantry, be a partner with them in their wealth and children, and make them promises. But Satan promises them nothing except deceit." (17:64)

What is allowed?

In Allah's most perfect religion, Islam, Allah is our Creator, He knows how we feel, think and behave. Allah recognizes all of our bodily reactions to everything that is around us. Why? Because we are His creation. Allah knows what we need, recognizes our strengths and weaknesses. The following areas are allowed in Islam (all of which in moderation except the recitation of Qur'an).

Recitation of the Holy Qur'an:

Reciting the Holy Qur'an promotes beautiful individualistic intonations, pitch and expressiveness in voice. What better way to spend your time expressing yourself then reciting The Speech of Allah. What better way to make the heart feel relaxed.
    "Recitation of and listening to the reading of Allah's Book, so aptly described by an English translator of the Qur'an is 'that inimitable symphony, the very sounds of which move men to tears and ecstasy". In a number of authentic traditions the Prophet (Peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) stressed that the Qur'an was to be chanted or sung in a sweet and melodious voice. He said,"Adorn the Qur'an with your voices." (Authentically related by Ahmad and Abu Dawood)

It is incumbent upon Muslims to learn how to recite Allah's Book in a beautiful, sweet and melodious voice in consonance with the rules of Tajweed, to constantly practice reading, and to listen to others; for nothing like the Qur'an uplifts the spirit and puts peace and tranquility in one's very heart and soul. Allah (SWT) says:
    "Allah has (now) revealed the fairest of statements, a Scripture consistent, (wherein promises of reward are) paired (with threats of punishment), whereat creeps the flesh of those who fear their Lord, so that their flesh and their hearts soften to Allah's reminder. Such is Allah's guidance, where with He guides whom He pleases. And him whom Allah sends astray, for him there is no guide."
    (39:23)

Drum called the duff:

The use of musical instruments is forbidden except for the duff, whose permissible use is basically at weddings and Eid and the similar celebrations. If it is used by women it must be performed only in front of women and children audience.

Singing and listening to Islamic songs:

Composing, singing and listening to Islamic Nasheeds (songs without instruments) can have a terrific impact on the listener especially children and young adults. It encourages good behavior, reflection of life in relation to Allah and basic understanding about Islam.

Nasheeds these days have proven to be very important in spreading Islam to the youth. This is a result of the addiction to music. It is important to try to withdraw them from very destructive love songs and rap music to excellent nasheed groups. Nasheed sales are growing at an exceptionally fast rate in America. The problem though is it is hard to find nasheeds without drumming or using acoustics.

In addition some of the nasheed groups have taken their role so seriously that they are imitating and performing like music groups in the West. We must be careful not to go too far where posters and concerts are more important than listening to the Holy Qur'an.

Read below the lyrics of one song from an American Nasheed singer that is very popular with teenagers. He focuses on current problems that the youth are experiencing and tries to build their Eman (Faith). But it is important to note that nasheeds can also become addictive, so like everything in Islam, moderation is the key.

Verse No.1

What got me to this point, why am I not surprised.
    No need for rewind, my life flashes right before my eyes,

I wasn't unlike most, and specifically speaking
    Grew up Muslim in public school, Islamic school on the weekend,

Once in a while made it to Jummah maybe not even that,
    As far as Islam is concerned it really wasn't where my head was at,

But it was cool if I made grades on the home front,
    A 4.0 my parents bought me anything I want.

The "fly-est" gear to help me cop them di****,
    Then maybe when I am 30 I'll become religious

But later came, my disposition stayed the same,
    Live your life one way too long it's not so easy to change

I refrained from the things that was said to help me gain
    And indulge in the things that I should of obstained

Mixed up caught up, going out of my brain
    I guess it's about the time, I ran into "Mary Jane" (Marijuana)

Inhalations in my breath, got my mind thinking less, oh yes,
    And in this state I met the angel of death,

And then came the time for Allah to resurrect,
    My soul from the clutches of a six foot depth

I find myself surrounded by the company I kept
    Realizing full well this was the day of regret

And over the horizon, slowly it crept,
    Anticipation thoughts racing and I'm losing my breath

And with all my might my right arm I stretch,
    Imagine my reaction, I caught my book in my left,

I caught my book in my left!
    I caught my book in my left!

Chorus

Save me from the, Hell fire, Hell fire, Hell fire

Everybody will come to the hour
    When we stand all alone in horror

And we hope that our deeds will help us through
    Only one we can blame is ourselves

We were blessed with our youth and our heath
    And we wonder why our deeds are few

Everybody-gets a wake up call,
    Take a warning before the nightfall

Use the time right now for making prayer
    And on the day when there is no shelter

The good deeds are your only helpers
    You'll be proud when you see that they're there.

Verse No.2

I'm looking back now at my life on the earth
    Been thinking about my deeds and what everything was worth

Like the time I was listening to a speech about Hell,
    It really made me scared cause he broke it down well,

Never you forget about those angels undercover, or the..
    Day when your good deeds are weighed against the others

Bad deeds brought together, then you discover
    Your good deeds are just feathers, you start to shudder, then- the- angels,

Grab you by the forehead, and start to make you suffer
    Hot, boiling water, Burning fire forever,

Waiting for a pause in the pain, but it be never ->
    As I rode to my school, I told myself there ain't no way I'm gonna be a fool,

And forget Allah's rules.
    Eyes on the prize, gonna stay wise,

As I go to class, socialize with the guys.
    But whoa, look at the time, the next prayer's in,

I'm here chillin' - they'll start staring
    Slip to bathroom, find an empty classroom,

Don't wanna miss a prayer here at school or even at home
    Man it was a struggle, trying to be a Muslim and staying out of trouble,

The stress seemed double,
    Even watching TV, I had have patrol,

Hands on remote control, just to save my soul
    But deep in my heart yo I knew it,

I could really do it, If I pushed myself through it,
    Living all my youth with Islam, see it only grew me stronger,

Withholding temptations for longer and longer,
    But now it pays off, if the fire stays off,

Be chilling for eternity forever days off,
    Got my book in right and my fate is looking well,

They put struggles of my youth on the good side of my scale
    With the mercy of Allah, I won't fail, Cause truly

Not a moment, not a moment did I want in Hell.
    Cause not a moment, not a moment would I want in hell

Chorus

SATURDAY :21/09/2002
    URGENT!!! your help is badly needed - fundraising for marriage

Excellent article.

and for those who believe that we are a bit paranoid about Music i recommend you to read about a Musician named Zeryab and how he contributed to the downfall of the Islamic state in Andalusia.
    My toughest fight was with my first wife.

Muhammad Ali Clay

Comment

Zeryab and how he contributed to the downfall of the Islamic state in Andalusia.

I'll be glad if you can provide some more details on this event bro.
      Please Re-update your Signature

Comment

Originally posted by Shades

I'll be glad if you can provide some more details on this event bro.
        hmmm..are you an Arabic speaker?

Muhammad Ali Clay

Comment

The Four Imams On Music
          Dated: 04/07/2002

ON MUSIC
          The Opinions Of The Great Imams

THE VIEW OF THE TABIEEN IMAMS AND SCHOLARS AFTER THEM

The view held by the companions was generally adhered to by the taabieen and their followers, the four imams and the great majority of dependable Islamic scholars up to the present time.From among the tabieen and their followers, there are such authorities as Mujaahid, Ikrimah, An-Nakhai and Al-Hassan Al-Basri.(107)

IMAM ABU HANEEFAH

Imam Abu Haneefah (108) has perhaps the harshest view of the four famous Imams of jurisprudence. His school of thought is the strictest, for he detested singing and considered it sinful. As for his disciples, they have explicitly confirmed the prohibition of listening to all musical amusements and pastimes, including wind instruments (mazaameer) (109) all types of tambourines, hand drums(dufoof) (110) and even the striking of sticks (al-qadeeb).They have asserted that such actions constitute disobedience to Allah and that the performer of such action is sinful, therefore necessitating rejection of his testimony (111). They have further stated that it is incumbent upon the Muslim to struggle to avoid listening to such things, even if he were passing by or stationed near them (without any wilful intention). Abu Haneefah's closest disciple, Abu Yoosuf, stated that if the sound of musical instruments (maazif) and amusements (malaahi) were heard coming from a house, the house could be entered without permission of its owners (112). The justification for this is that the command regarding the prohibition abominable things (munkaaraat) is mandatory, and cannot be established if such entering rests upon the permission of the residents of the premises.This is the madhhab (position) of the rest of the Kufic scholars as well, such as Ibraheem An-Nakhai, Ash-Shabi Hammad and Ath-Thowri. They do not differ on this issue. The same can be said of the general body of jurisprudents of Al-Basrah (114).

IMAAM MAALIK

It is related by Ibnul-Jowzi that Ishaaq bin Eesaa At-Tabaa asked Imaam Maalik bin Anas (115), the leading jurisprudent of Madeenah, about the view of the people of madeenah regarding singing (ghinaa).He replied, "In fact, that is done by the sinful ones." Abut-teeb At-Tabari said, "As for Maalik bin Anas, he truly did prohibit singing and listening to it." He further related that Maalik said, "If one purchased a slave-girl (116) and found her to be a professional singer, he could return her to the original owner for reimbursement on the claim of having found fault in the merchandise." (117) The ruling of prohibition (tahreem) is generally agreed upon by the scholars of Madeenah. The Maaliki jurisprudent and commentator, Al-Qurtubi, reports Ibn Khuwayz Mandaad as saying that Imam Maalik had learned singing and music as a small boy until his mother encouraged him to leave it for a study of the religous sciences. He did, and his view became that such things were prohibited.(118) Al-Qurtubi confirmed Maaliks view by saying that the only exception to this general ruling was the type of innocent songs such as those sung to placate the camels during travel, or during hard labour or boredom or during times of festivity and joy, such as the Eed days and weddings-the latter to the accompaniment of a simple daff (hand drum). Al-Qurtubi then said, "As for that which is done in our day, by way of the (blameworthy) innovations (bidah) of the Sufi mystics in their addition to hearing songs to the accompaniment of melodious instruments such as flutes, string instruments such as flutes, string instruments etc such is haraam (forbidden) (119).

IMAAM SHAFI'EE

In the book, Aadaabul Qadaa, As-Shafiee is reported as saying, "Verily, song is loathsome (makrooh); it resembles the false and vain thing (al-baatil). The one who partakes of it frequently is an incompetent fool whose testimony is to be rejected." (121) His closest and most knowledgeable disciples clearly stipulate that his position on this issue is that of prohibition (tahreem)and they rebuke those who attribute its legality to him (122). This is confirmed by the later Shafiite scholar, Ibn Hajar Al-Haythami. He related that one of the Ash-Shaafiites disciples, Al-Haarith Al-Muhaasibi (d.243 H) said, "Song is haraam, just as the carcass (maytah)." (123). Further more, the statement that singing is haraam is found in the treatise, Ash-Sharh Al-Kabeer, by the authoritative Shaffiite Scholar, Ar-Raafiee (d.623 H). This is further corroborated by the accomplished Shaaffi'ite jurisprudent, Imam An-Nawawi (d.676 H) in his Rowdah) (124). Such is the correct view of the dependable scholars of the Shaffi'ite madhab. However, due to limited knowledge and personal fancy and desire, a few of their later day scholars disagree with this view. (125)

IMAM AHMAD BIN HANBAL

Imaam Ahmads (126) position regarding this issue has been narrated in detail by the Hanbalite jurisprudent and Quranic commentator, Abul Faraj Ibnul-Jowzi (d.597H.) in his treatise, Tablees Iblees (Sataan's deception). He tells us that ghinaa during Ahmads era consisted primarily of a rhymed, rythmical chanting (inshaad)of poems (127) whose puropse was to lead people to a pious, abstentious way of life. However, when such chanters began to vary their simple style to one of a throbbing, affected melody, the narrations regarding Ahmad began to differ.His own son and student, Abdullah, relates that his father said, "Singing (128) sprouts hypocricy in the heart;it doesnt please me." The scholar, Ismaeel bin Ishaaq ath Thaqafi, reports that Ahmad was questioned regarding ones listening to those poems (qasaaid) to which he replied, "I despise it, for it is a bidaah(innovation). Don't sit down to listen to its reciters.'Abul-Haarith relates that Ahmad said, "At-Taghyeer (129) is an innovation" whereupon it was said, "But it sensitizes and softens the heart". Ahmad rejoined, "It is a bid'ah (blameworthy innovation)."

Yaqoob Al-Haashimi narrates that Ahmad said, "At-taghyeer is a recent innovation" and Yaqoob bin Gayyath reports him a s saying that he despised at-taghyeer and prohibited ones listening to it.(130) Ibnul-Jowzi then mentioned some narrations related by Abu Bakr Al-Khallaal and Ahmads son Saalih, which indicate Ahmads not being averse to poetry sessions. It is related that Ahmad heard a singer (qawwal) and didn't reproach him, whereupon Saalih said to him, "Oh father, didn't you used to criticise and censure such a thing?" Ahmad replied, "That was because I was told that they were doing reproachable things, so I despised it; as for this, I do not dislike it" Ibnul-Jowzi commented at this point, "Some of the scholars of our (Hanbalite) school mention that Abu Bakr Al-Khallaal (d.311 H) and his disciple, Abdul-Azeez, permitted singing (ghinaa).Such a statement refers to the spiritual poems (qasaaid zuhduyyaat) which were prevalent during their time. This is precisely the type of singing which was not disliked by Ahmad (as previously mentioned)" (131).

Ahmad bin Hanbal attests to this in the instance where he was asked regarding a deceased person who left behind him a son and a professional singing) slave-girl (132). The son then needed to sell her. Ahmad said that she was not to be sold on the basis of her being a singer. Upon this it was said to him that, (as a singer), she was worth 30000 dirhams, whereas if she were sold only on the basis of her being simply a slave-girl" Ibnul Jowzi explained, "The reason Ahmad said this is because the singing slave-girl doesn't sing spiritual poems (qasaaid zuhdiyaat); rather she sings throbbing lyrics which incite passion in ones being.This is proof that such singing is haraam, for if it were not so, the incurred loss of the orphans sons wealth would not be permissible (133). Furthermore, it is reported by the jurisprudent Al-Marwazi that Ahmad bin Hanbal said, "The earnings of the effeminate (mukhannath) singer are foul (khabeeth) because he doesn't sing spiritual poems, but rather, he sings erotic poetry (al-ghazal) in a licentious, cooing manner." Ibnul-Jowzi concluded that it is obvious from what has preceded that the variant narrations relating to Ahmad's dislike of (karaahah) or permission for singing depended upon the type of singing that was meant. As for the type of singing which is popular today, (134) it would be forbidden according to Ahmad's view. If only he could see what the people have added to it by way of innovation.(135)

In conclusion, the general consensus of the companions, Taabieen and the following generations of Islamic scholars up to the present day, including the four Imams, points to the ruling of prohibition of music and song (other than the exceptions to be mentioned later).

From Abu Bilaal Mustafa al-Kanadi's (rahimahullah) book on Music and Singing

NOTES

(107) See pp.67-68 of Kaffur Raa; Al-Qurtubis tafseer, vol.19, p.51 and Shaykh Saalih Fowzaan's Al-Ilaam bi Naqdi Kitaabil Hallaali wal Haraam, pp.72-74.

(108) The first of the four famous imaams.He was born in Koofa, Iraq in the 80th year of the Hijrah. He died in Baghdad in the year 150H see Adh-Dhahabis Seeyar Alaamin Nubalaa, vol.6, pp.390-403.

(109) Such as flutes, pipes, horns and related wind instruments.

(110) Small hand drums without steel jangles.This permitted type is to be used on certain restricted occassions as designated by the sunnah, the details of which will follow.

(111) Testimony given by witnesses concerning matters or crimes involving punishments is only accepted from trustworthy, obedient Muslims.

(112) In shariah, the mere suspicion of vice is not sufficient to warranat invasion of privacy by the authorities.Here, however, the violation is not confined to the privacy of the home and should be prevented, even forcibly, to avoid corruption of society.

(113) Quoted from "Ownul Mabood Sharhu Sunan Abi Dawood", vol.13, pp.273-274.

(114) Stated by Abut Teeb Taahir At-Tabari and quoted in Al-Qurtubis Al-Jaamili Ahkaamil Quraan, vol.14, p.55.

(115) He was born at Madeenah in the year 93 of the Hijrah and died there in 179H. For details of his life and times, see Qaadi Ayyads Tarteebul Madaarik, vol.1, pp.107-147.

(116) In the time of Prophet Muhammad (saw), the world economy was almost completely based upon the institution of slavery. Wisdom and foresight demanded a gradual elimination of this deeply rooted social system. The Islamic method was to limit the ways in which slaves could be taken to only one-jihaad (lawful warfare), while at the same time imposing conditions under which a slave must be freed and encouraging the freeing of believing slaves as an act of worship which brings one closer to Allah. Mistreatment of slaves was strictly prohibited and they were always entitled to respect as human beings. These guidelines protecting slaves are still applicable today.

(117) The previous sayings related to Maalik were quoted from Ibnul-Jowzis Talbees, p.29.

(118) Al-Jaamili Ahkaamil Quraan, vol.14, p.55

(119) Ibid, vol.14, p.54.

(120) He was born 150 H In Gazzah in Palestine. He died and was buried in Cairo, 204 H. Details of his life and works are chronicled in Al-Bayhaqis Manaaqibush Shaafiee.

(121) See Al-Qurtubis tafseer, vol.14, p.55 and Ibnul-Jowzis Talbees Iblees, p.231.Also refer to footnote no.111.

(122) See Ownul Mabood, vol.13, p.274.

(123) Designates the carcass of the animal which has not been slaughetered in a manner acceptable to the shariah, but has died in a manner rendering it unlawful for food, such as dying from a disease, accident, naturally or by being hit by a blow, etc. However, the skin of such an animal may be used after proper curing.

(124) Kaffur Raaa.p.61.

(125) Talbees iblees, pp.230-231.A sample of such scholars along with a refutation of their position will follow in the next section of this work.

(126) He was born in Baghdad, 164 H and died there in 241 H.See the excellent biography of his life

(127) In Arabic these are called qasaaiduz zuhd.

(128) "Singing" here means without musical accompaniment.

(129) Indicates a change in the state of mind or disposition of a person who appears "overcome" by the mention (dhikr) of God in supplication (duaa) performed in a humble, humiliating stance. Those who partake in this experience of being "overcome" are moved to extreme delight or grief by the manner in which such poetry is delivered.It is usually delivered in an affected, throbbing style which moves them to dance and gyrate to the beat and melody of such rythmic poems. Because of this "change' (taghyeer) which overcomes them, they were called al-mughayyarah. Refer to Talbees Iblees, p.330.

(130) Talbees Iblees, p.228.

(131) All of these scholars, including Ahmad, didn't not mind a certain type of chanting, singing and recitation of poetry or stories, etc without musical accompaniment or other prohibited aspects.

(132) Refer to footnote no.116.

(133) The loss incurred by selling the slave girl not as singer but as an ordinary worker.

(134) This statement was made during the 6th century of the Islamic era. Therefore, what could be said of what we hear and see of music and singing today!

(135) Talbees Iblees, pp.228-229.

http://www.alharamain.org/EN/Contents.aspx?AID=119

Comment

I like music. You can happy music, sad music, angry music, chilling music, love music...all sorts of music. Music has been used to praise God for thousands of years. Music has been part of human culture for thousands of years.

I don't believe God hates music.

Comment

you just proved the point york

music controls your emotions
              .لا نريد زعيما يخاف البيت الإبيض
              نريد زعيما يخاف الواحد الأحد
              دولة الإسلامية باقية

Comment

Originally posted by AbuMubarak
                you just proved the point york

music controls your emotions
                My emotions control my choice of music.

I'll bet good money that your emotions control your choice of surah to read at times.

Comment

Originally posted by yorkshireman
                  My emotions control my choice of music.

I'll bet good money that your emotions control your choice of surah to read at times.
                  I know Ad-Dhuha makes me cry:

AD-DHUHA (THE MORNING HOURS, MORNING BRIGHT)

In the name of Allah, the Compassionate, the Merciful.

By the Glorious Morning Light,

And by the Night when it is still,-

Thy Guardian-Lord hath not forsaken thee, nor is He displeased.

And verily the Hereafter will be better for thee than the present.

And soon will thy Guardian-Lord give thee (that wherewith) thou shalt be well-pleased.

Did He not find thee an orphan and give thee shelter (and care)?

And He found thee wandering, and He gave thee guidance.

And He found thee in need, and made thee independent.

Therefore, treat not the orphan with harshness,

Nor repulse the petitioner (unheard);

But the bounty of the Lord - rehearse and proclaim!

Comment

Originally posted by mariam
                    I know Ad-Dhuha makes me cry:

AD-DHUHA (THE MORNING HOURS, MORNING BRIGHT)

In the name of Allah, the Compassionate, the Merciful.

By the Glorious Morning Light,

And by the Night when it is still,-

Thy Guardian-Lord hath not forsaken thee, nor is He displeased.

And verily the Hereafter will be better for thee than the present.

And soon will thy Guardian-Lord give thee (that wherewith) thou shalt be well-pleased.

Did He not find thee an orphan and give thee shelter (and care)?

And He found thee wandering, and He gave thee guidance.

And He found thee in need, and made thee independent.

Therefore, treat not the orphan with harshness,

Nor repulse the petitioner (unheard);

But the bounty of the Lord - rehearse and proclaim!
                    simply....two thumbs up sister :up: :up:

try reading this chapter in the early morning (after fajr prayer) as you are smelling morning fresh air....i did.....never had such spiritual boost before!

EDIT : in the balacony.

Muhammad Ali Clay

Comment

The story was sad but beautifully!!

Comment

They have found that music stimulates every part of the brain so it actually is very good for a person. If you know right from wrong...

Peace to all

Comment

and which part exactly is stimulated by Madonna's "bedtime stories" or 99% of nowdays rap Music?

Muhammad Ali Clay

Comment

Like I said, "you have to know what is right and what is wrong." I can't stand Madona and don't listen to her at all...

Many people with developmental disabilities benefit from music. It helps them learn and physically develop basic motor skills a person need to have to preform everday tasks like walking, bending, etc. It also people with memory problems.

Peace to all

Comment

MUSIC IN ISLAM

Introduction
                              In recent years, certain developments have taken place which has brought the subject of music as an extremely significant issue. Music has spread to such an extent that it is afflicting every muslim in this modern era. Today, individuals are being confronted by a situation where one is forced to listen to music whether by choice or without.

Music is played in nearly all department stores and super markets. Even whilst walking in the streets, we find cars blaring with music. No matter which direction we go, we are blasted with music. The increasing popularity of music, which is prevalent in our society poses a tremendous danger for muslims.

Music is Haraam
                              References within the context of the Holy Qur`aan along with the Hadith of the Prophet confirm that music is haraam.

Interpreters of the Qur`aan have defined the term `lahwal hadith` which is mentioned in the Qur`aan as:

1) Singing and listening to songs.
                              2) Purchasing of male and female singers.
                              3) Purchase of instruments of fun and amusement.

When Sayyidana Abdullah Ibne Mas`ood, a very close companion of our Prophet was asked about the meaning of the term `lahwal hadith`, he replied

This statement, he repeated three times. This view is unanimously supported by the four Khalifas, the eminent Sahabaah, Tabi`een, the four Imaams and other reliable Islaamic scholars and authorities.

One hadith from the Bukhari Shareef, the most authentic Book of Hadith, further confirms unlawfulness of music and singing :

`There will be people of my Ummah who will seek to make lawful; fornication, wine-drinking and the use of ma`aazif ( musical instruments ).`

Detailed analysis of the arabic word `ma`aazif ` shows that it refers to musical instruments, the sounds of those musical instruments and singing with the accompaniment of instruments.

Closer analysis of the wordings of the Hadith establishes the prohibition of music. Firstly, the words `seek to make lawful ` shows that music is not permissible, as logically one can only seek to make lawful that which is not allowed. Secondly, if music was not prohibited, then it would not have been brought within the same context as fornication and wine-drinking.

Music - it's Effects
                              MAY ALMIGHTY ALLAH GUIDE US ALL TO THE STRAIGHT PATH-
                              AMEEN.

http://www.inter-islam.org/Prohibitions/Mansy_music.htm
                              Last edited by abdulhakeem; 08-09-04, 12:27 AM.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X