Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• who should give advice?

salaams to all

its VERY frustrating when people post advice on issues/subjects they dont understand correctly
    from a Shar'ee viewpoint

many members here, it appears, dont know things which could be considered basic knowledge of deen.

then u get a new member who asks a question & u see the type of replies that come flowing thru.
    instead of guiding & assisting the person who asked the question
    he/she ends up being misguided

then theres the issue of Madhabs
    some follow a madhab & some dont
    but when answering a question, its like many dont seem to realise that their answer DOES NOT apply to the one who asked.

im not talking of modern/liberal muslims who seem to go fatwa shopping
    or those who seem to just be waiting for ANYONE to say- "yes bro/sis, what youre doing is OK, go ahead"
    while what they are doing is in fact not permissible

sometimes i reply to a question with what i KNOW is the correct answer but its like drowned out in a sea of nonsense

most members dont sit with the ulama & listen to their advices
    this applies more to sisters
    but they post as if they are muftis

we dont realise the harm we are doing.
    our intentions may be good but why dont we ensure that what were saying is 100% correct?

some here will support an incorrect answer/view because they themselves dont like the correct answer
    or they are guilty of that action themselves

Islam means to SUBMIT
    we claim to be good muslims but we dont want to submit

nobody is perfect.
    we all make mistakes but this is something else entirely

and Alah ta'ala knows best
    jazakallah
    Sufyaan Thawri "Whoever is very popular with his relations and neighbours, we suspect him to be compromising in preaching the true teachings of religion."
    very good site for English bayaans in MP3 format-check it out- u wont be disappointed: http://www.musjidnoor.za.net/index.html & http://alhaadi.org.za/majlis-program...downloads.html

Re: who should give advice?

Sometimes the one asking is also to blame.

And cut down on the sister bashing please.

Comment

Well, if someone comes on the internet I'm sure they will take the responses with a grain of salt.
      I have a feeling a lot of folks come on here simply to vent through their questions and be heard vs. coming for a hardcore answer in which case they would need to seek advice from someone that knows their entire story and can answer based on that,
      17-07

Comment

Wassalam

It is best to just correct the answers if you see it is definitely wrong, or any adjustments need to be made.

In that way everybody learns.

Hadhrat Ali (Radiallahu anhu)

Comment

Bismillah ir-Rahman ir-Rahim.

Wassalam. This is just my viewpoint to your respond. I am not knowledge whatsoever, but I seek knowledge from anyone.

Anyone can give advice. Why? Because we all experienced different things in life. For instance, someone might be better at advising at something than me and you. Why should someone not share their experience and help them? Or is it better to be quiet and watch them drown?

But it depends what kind of advice you mean.

Islamic advice? Still anyone can give these types of advice. A sinner, a righteous person, someone who can’t read Arabic etc, the list goes on. However, you’re right, it is very important to be knowledgeable about what you are advising someone about, but we do not have to know the entire religion because Prophet Muhammed (saw) said ‘’convey from me, even if it’s one verse’’ (Narrated by Abduallah Ibn Amr (ra) ) See he didn't say, we have to acquire the skill to be a hafids or know the fiqhs. Just one verse. The Quran is the word of Allah, it has barakah. One verse can change someone's life. One verse can save someone life. Why would we not want to give advice to someone when we have the knowledge? Isn't that being stubborn? A muslim person is not stubborn. The Prophet Muhammed (saw) said ‘’None of you truly believes until he loves for his brother what he loves for himself.’’ (Sahih Al-Bukhari and Sahih Muslim)

We shouldn’t give advice? That would be impossible. Why? Because Anas bin Malik reports that “Seeking knowledge is a duty upon every Muslim, and he who imparts knowledge to those who do not deserve it, is like one who puts a necklace of jewels, pearls and gold around the neck of swines.” You’re right we are not perfect, we are continuous learning human beings. Why not share knowledge if Allah blessed you with it?

Of course, a person must be 100% and not 99.9% sure about the advice they're giving. If they have a single doubt, it's better to not say it at that moment. But rather educate ourselves by verifying the evidence so that we can benefit the others. A muslim should strive to seek knowledge to better themselves and benefit others and society.

However, it's also duty upon the person being told the advice too. We are humans, Allah gave us high intellectual skills to think for ourselves. If we doubt, we respectfully verify the evidence and correct the advisor. It's even good practice to verify evidence for yourself in this time of age where we are bombarded with so much lies and deception. I personally think it is selfish of us to hold another person accountable because we choose not to think or research for ourselves and then blame them for telling us something incorrect. People will always tell you stuff, it’s up to you to verify it to believe it or just choose to believe it without verification. Islam already encourages us to seek knowledge even if we are not sure about something or something has just been said to us. Whose fault is it if we choose not seek knowledge after being told something?

Comment

Greetings and peace be with you msmoorad;

Sadly, I think that when many of us give advice, we become hypocrites, it is easier to give advice, than to take it, I like this story......

A wise old man was on his death bed, Someone asked him to give some wise counsel before he departed, the world he Said.

" When I was young I wanted to change the world and solve its problems, As I got older I realized that perhaps I should lower my sights, I thought I would be better served in changing my country as time went on I realized that people of country could not be changed. I decided to change the people of my town , but they also did not wish to change, When I reached my old age I thought I would try changing my Family, here also I found my endeavors go to waste, try as I might my family members would not change.

" Now that I am on my death bed, I have realized that if I had sought to improve myself, and removed my own defects, then perhaps my family members would have been influenced. Then seeing the behavior of my family people of my town would have been influenced. By seeing the spiritual change and improvement of the people of my town, the people of my country would have been influenced. And perhaps through the people of my country the world may have been influenced."

I wish to change the world but I find it near impossible, to change myself.

* Source Unknown.

In the spirit of striving to put Allah first,

Eric

Comment

Originally posted by Reyhanah View Post
              Bismillah ir-Rahman ir-Rahim.

Wassalam. This is just my viewpoint to your respond. I am not knowledge whatsoever, but I seek knowledge from anyone.

Anyone can give advice. Why? Because we all experienced different things in life. For instance, someone might be better at advising at something than me and you. Why should someone not share their experience and help them? Or is it better to be quiet and watch them drown?

But it depends what kind of advice you mean.

Islamic advice? Still anyone can give these types of advice. A sinner, a righteous person, someone who can’t read Arabic etc, the list goes on. However, you’re right, it is very important to be knowledgeable about what you are advising someone about, but we do not have to know the entire religion because Prophet Muhammed (saw) said ‘’convey from me, even if it’s one verse’’ (Narrated by Abduallah Ibn Amr (ra) ) See he didn't say, we have to acquire the skill to be a hafids or know the fiqhs. Just one verse. The Quran is the word of Allah, it has barakah. One verse can change someone's life. One verse can save someone life. Why would we not want to give advice to someone when we have the knowledge? Isn't that being stubborn? A muslim person is not stubborn. The Prophet Muhammed (saw) said ‘’None of you truly believes until he loves for his brother what he loves for himself.’’ (Sahih Al-Bukhari and Sahih Muslim)

We shouldn’t give advice? That would be impossible. Why? Because Anas bin Malik reports that “Seeking knowledge is a duty upon every Muslim, and he who imparts knowledge to those who do not deserve it, is like one who puts a necklace of jewels, pearls and gold around the neck of swines.” You’re right we are not perfect, we are continuous learning human beings. Why not share knowledge if Allah blessed you with it?

Of course, a person must be 100% and not 99.9% sure about the advice they're giving. If they have a single doubt, it's better to not say it at that moment. But rather educate ourselves by verifying the evidence so that we can benefit the others. A muslim should strive to seek knowledge to better themselves and benefit others and society.

However, it's also duty upon the person being told the advice too. We are humans, Allah gave us high intellectual skills to think for ourselves. If we doubt, we respectfully verify the evidence and correct the advisor. It's even good practice to verify evidence for yourself in this time of age where we are bombarded with so much lies and deception. I personally think it is selfish of us to hold another person accountable because we choose not to think or research for ourselves and then blame them for telling us something incorrect. People will always tell you stuff, it’s up to you to verify it to believe it or just choose to believe it without verification. Islam already encourages us to seek knowledge even if we are not sure about something or something has just been said to us. Whose fault is it if we choose not seek knowledge after being told something?
              salaams to all

respected sister,
              if someone is asking about cooking or baking
              or even things that have no direct relation to deen

then its perfectly OK for even a non muslim to advise them

but when its issues that pertain to deen
              then its just not appropriate for people to voice their opinion

hardly anyone here says "pls consult a scholar, im not sure about this"
              instead, they start talking as if they are all muftis.

yes, that person may have a Masters or a Ph.D in that subject but islamically, they are still not qualified.
              what happens here is that those who have worldly/secular education, see it as sufficient to qualify them to answer from an islamic perspective

im NO scholar
              but Alhamdulillah, i sit in their company daily & thats how i benefit

u have different types of people here
              some apparently have no musjid or ulama/scholars nearby where they can go to clarify things they are not sure about.

and they end up here.
              somehow, people who visit us seem to think the advice given here is 100% correct

sometimes a sister or brother with very poor islamic knowledge or one thats hardly practicing themselves, will answer a question
              & the person who asked will conveniently accept that answer as its quite convenient to practice/follow

whereas, the correct advice would be something totally different

so we end up doing harm to that persons deen
              and adding more sins to ur own account.

and Allah ta'ala knows best
              jazakallah
              Sufyaan Thawri "Whoever is very popular with his relations and neighbours, we suspect him to be compromising in preaching the true teachings of religion."
              very good site for English bayaans in MP3 format-check it out- u wont be disappointed: http://www.musjidnoor.za.net/index.html & http://alhaadi.org.za/majlis-program...downloads.html

Comment

I'm sorry for the double post.
                Last edited by Reyhanah; 01-09-14, 09:02 PM.

Comment

I understand what you are saying and I agree that we should be 100% sure about what we tell people. It is true to seek knowledge from people who are more knowledgeable like you said scholars and etc when we are not sure how to advice someone. The worst we can do with our tongue or hands since it's online is to convey something we have no knowledge about or we don't understand this "knowledge" ourselves. That would make us jahiliyas. Then again we don't have to have a degree in Islamic knowledge to qualify in giving advice. If you have evidence and references from Islamic sources and you understand it, then it's duty upon you to share that knowledge where appropriated.

Best thing to do when you see wrong is to respectfully correct them. The advisor might have had good intentions to help the person but the action was incorrect. In Islam we are judged on our intentions, may Allah forgive us and grant us understanding. So we can never know a person's intention for giving that advice only Allah knows. All we can do is correct people respectfully. That way you are saving someone from falling into haram and you're also gaining good deeds at the same time.

Comment

salaams to all

what youre saying is true
                    i understand that

but even if the ones giving the incorrect advice have sincere intentions & they just want to help

the damage has been done
                    many that ask for advice are not regulars here that others may correct them & clarify things for them once we see their questions

the members here who have a bit of knowledge cant check every post on every thread

theres many people who visited temporarily
                    they had some serious problem & saw fit to ask for advice here
                    (Allah ta'ala only knows why)

and ive seen many replies that were totally off
                    the advice was as if coming from a non muslim

& some others give advice but they seem oblivious to the fact that theres people of different Madhabs here.
                    what applies to you wont necessarily apply to the other person

now that person could have taken that advice to heart & acted upon it
                    we wont have a chance to contact them
                    they are gone- back to their lives & their problems

we cant have this attitude:
                    "just chill out/relax"
                    "its just an online forum"
                    "were all just having clean fun- no need to get all serious"
                    "if u dont like it then U leave- dont tell us what to do"
                    etc

IM NOT SAYING THAT IM BETTER OR I KNOW MORE
                    theres many members here that i admire-they are quite knowledgeable
                    we should forward/direct all these type of questions to them

though the best would be to direct the people asking questions to the ulama
                    many good ulama have websites where they can be contacted

and Allah ta'ala knows best
                    jazakallah
                    Last edited by msmoorad; 01-09-14, 09:15 PM.

Comment

Yes, damage has been done. We saw it. The question is what did we do about it? Its up to you or anyone more knowledgeable to correct the advisor because if you just brush it off we would be hold accountable in the hereafter because we saw and did nothing. Let's say we can't get hold of the person who gave an incorrect advice and the other person who were seeking the advice, making dua for them that Allah guides them to the straight path and increase them in knowledge would inshallah protect them from the haram path. We can't just give up on our brothers and sisters. There's always something we can do even if we can't physically help them.

If you know good ulamas then that's already a solution to guide people. You don't even have to correct them, just giving contact details of ulmas would save the one who saw the mistake as well as the advisor in the hereafter. You're absolutely right that this is an essential issue that needs to be addressed in a good fashion. But I think instead of doing nothing about it or getting frustrated we are not helping the situation. I believe we should make dua, trust in Allah, correct people if we have the knowledge or if we don't want to guide the person to a more knowledgeable person inshallah. That way we are at least trying to improve the situation.

Comment

Working...
                      X