Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mixed prayer rooms

My pet peeve,

Imagine getting super excited to find a prayer room in a building .... Only to find that not only is it a boxed room, but teeny tiny.
    Usually I walk up and down the corridor like ten times and each time have to rush away, because I don''t feel comfortable waiting outside.
    And each time I return, I always find a different set of brothers praying.

At universities, private offices, shopping centres, airports. Its like yayy, there's a prayer room for Muslims, but does it have to be the cramped room in the back?
    And is it possible to provide two rooms?

How does one overcome this problem? Other than complaining and asking for segregated prayer rooms?
    Last edited by Khadijah_24; 29-08-14, 09:48 PM.

Re: Mixed prayer rooms

The "Prayer room" at work for me is the first aid room. I need to sign out the key so I can see if anyone else has got there before me. Once I have access I lock myself in.

It's only really used by myself and one other brother.

Perhaps you can put a note on the door stating the room is "booked" between times that you will use the room?

Comment

Originally posted by zi-zizou View Post
      The "Prayer room" at work for me is the first aid room. I need to sign out the key so I can see if anyone else has got there before me. Once I have access I lock myself in.

It's only really used by myself and one other brother.

Perhaps you can put a note on the door stating the room is "booked" between times that you will use the room?
      I have no problem with the prayer room at work, because I have access to a locked room and there's a really nice sisters prayer room two office blocks down.
      Its just when I have to travel for work, where the problems begin. Especially when they provide me with a room to pray in which is essentially an office with a glass door, which makes me feel really uncomfortable <- my previous job had a mixed prayer room like this.
      Part of me feels like I should be grateful for being given somewhere to pray (I don't always have access to a prayer room and then need to become inventive) and the other half feels exasperated. And I feel soo uncomfortable
      waiting around for men to finish their prayer, and then I get paranoid during prayer, because I don't want anyone to walk in on me. (I don't know if any sisters can relate)?

I may print and laminate a note, so that next time I can stick it to the door. It may help with the paranoid feeling, but the glass door is still an issue. As is the fact that most mixed prayer rooms are dominated by men, because women are too shy to use it for all the above reasons. It makes it all the more awkward.
      Last edited by Khadijah_24; 29-08-14, 10:21 PM.

Comment

when i worked in hospital they had a prayer room ,it was small and mixed ,it was kinda akward as im very shy ,but it never busy and if i walked in a there men i just put my head down and walk fast to the back behind the curtain,my first friday praying there was akward i didnt know they did jumma in their and i walked in and it was full of men and somebody said its brother only i felt so :embar:
        one of the doctors let me and another sister use hes office for salat to save us going far to pray so it was easier he just came out n we did salat their in the end may Allah reward him ameen

Comment

Originally posted by Revert08 View Post
          when i worked in hospital they had a prayer room ,it was small and mixed ,it was kinda akward as im very shy ,but it never busy and if i walked in a there men i just put my head down and walk fast to the back behind the curtain,my first friday praying there was akward i didnt know they did jumma in their and i walked in and it was full of men and somebody said its brother only i felt so :embar:
          one of the doctors let me and another sister use hes office for salat to save us going far to pray so it was easier he just came out n we did salat their in the end may Allah reward him ameen
          Awww that was so nice of him mashAllah. I'm the only Muslim in my office building, so no one minds me using one of the rooms, which I can lock. I do try to go to the women's prayer room when I have spare time (So when it coincides with lunch etc) because its always nice to pray in congregation.
          But like the other day, I had to travel and the room they provided me with was so cramped that I couldn't (even if I had the guts) quickly pray behind the brothers, because there just simply wasn't any space. And there is NO curtain, no curtain no nothing. I should say mashAllah, because its a good thing these brothers are praying on time. Its just a shame, because such practices prevent some women from doing the same.

Wait, where are women supposed to pray if the Jummah prayer is men only? Do they wait for them to finish and then pray Dhuhr afterwards?

Comment

Originally posted by Khadijah_24 View Post
            I have no problem with the prayer room at work, because I have access to a locked room and there's a really nice sisters prayer room two office blocks down.
            Its just when I have to travel for work, where the problems begin. Especially when they provide me with a room to pray in which is essentially an office with a glass door, which makes me feel really uncomfortable <- my previous job had a mixed prayer room like this.
            Part of me feels like I should be grateful for being given somewhere to pray (I don't always have access to a prayer room and then need to become inventive) and the other half feels exasperated. And I feel soo uncomfortable
            waiting around for men to finish their prayer, and then I get paranoid during prayer, because I don't want anyone to walk in on me. (I don't know if any sisters can relate)?

I may print and laminate a note, so that next time I can stick it to the door. It may help with the paranoid feeling, but the glass door is still an issue. As is the fact that most mixed prayer rooms are dominated by men, because women are too shy to use it for all the above reasons. It makes it all the more awkward.
            Sister, try to control it and take precautions. If it's not possible then it's not! No point dwelling in it for too long

Comment

Originally posted by ibn_maymunah View Post
              Sister, try to control it and take precautions. If it's not possible then it's not! No point dwelling in it for too long
              Do you mean control the prayer room, if only I had that kind of power. I would organize it so that the brothers all had a certain timeslot to pray and then the sisters.
              But like I said, this only happens when I'm away from my usual work environment and I doubt they'd take my advice anyway.

And I don't know whether delaying prayer because of lack of facilities is a valid reason?

Comment

May Allah (SWT) make it easy for you Sis. But usually isn't their like an equality officer or something that can help you get a room next door.

Comment

Originally posted by leecopper View Post
                  May Allah (SWT) make it easy for you Sis. But usually isn't their like an equality officer or something that can help you get a room next door.
                  Ameen, thank you.

I don't know? Do you reckon it would be worth sending an email each time I have to visit another facility in advance? Or would that be asking too much?

Comment

Awww that was so nice of him mashAllah. I'm the only Muslim in my office building, so no one minds me using one of the rooms, which I can lock. I do try to go to the women's prayer room when I have spare time (So when it coincides with lunch etc) because its always nice to pray in congregation.
                    But like the other day, I had to travel and the room they provided me with was so cramped that I couldn't (even if I had the guts) quickly pray behind the brothers, because there just simply wasn't any space. And there is NO curtain, no curtain no nothing. I should say mashAllah, because its a good thing these brothers are praying on time. Its just a shame, because such practices prevent some women from doing the same.

Wait, where are women supposed to pray if the Jummah prayer is men only? Do they wait for them to finish and then pray Dhuhr afterwards?
                    its very annoying women areas are always rubbish like we nothing Islam gives us such a high status n yet most islamic events or prayer rooms is small for women,i went to a Islam event where the whole hall was for the men n a corner in the room so tiny was for the women to eat n stand squashed ,i think this is unfair whoever makes it like this should think carefully and make it equal

sis i just prayed in the office on fridays i think the women can pray maybe later after all the men finshed im not sure

Comment

Ameen, thank you.

I don't know? Do you reckon it would be worth sending an email each time I have to visit another facility in advance? Or would that be asking too much?
                      I'm not sure where you work and live, but in the UK they usually recognise Muslims have to pray at certain times and accommodate accordingly. InshaAllah make inquiries, and see what they can do.

Comment

Do you mean control the prayer room, if only I had that kind of power. I would organize it so that the brothers all had a certain timeslot to pray and then the sisters.
                        But like I said, this only happens when I'm away from my usual work environment and I doubt they'd take my advice anyway.

And I don't know whether delaying prayer because of lack of facilities is a valid reason?
                        It's not a valid reason, Allah has made the whole earth a مصلى.
                        I was referring to controlling the issue of mixed prayer room or fear that there'd be unnecessary fitnah. If brothers are trying it you need to show them harshly that you're not a big fan of it iA. May Allah make all your affairs easy then.

Comment

Just be happy you have somewhere to pray. Sure its uncomfortable but at least you are provided with a space to pray. I get what you mean about the glass door though. I remember my old work place in which i use to work (to make someone else rich) they use to give me the meeting room and it was in the middle of the work floor so everyone could see me. it was so awkward lol.
                          Believe none of what you hear, and only half of what you see.

Comment

:salams:

I have prayed in a kitchen before, Alhamdulillah people can be really nice, Once a non muslim man accidentally came in and he was like really sorry and rushed out of the kitchen.

And during my training, everyone was so polite, it was unbelievable. But no one wants to convert, they're just fascinated at the 'odd' practises

Hope you find a way soon :insha:

:jkk:
                            'Whatever it be wherein ye differ, the decision thereof is with Allah: such is Allah my Lord: In Him I trust, and to Him I turn.' The Holy Qu'ran Al Shura (Consultation)

So, which of the favours of your lord will you deny? ~ Surah Ar Rahman

Comment

Originally posted by InTheBegining View Post
                              Just be happy you have somewhere to pray. Sure its uncomfortable but at least you are provided with a space to pray. I get what you mean about the glass door though. I remember my old work place in which i use to work (to make someone else rich) they use to give me the meeting room and it was in the middle of the work floor so everyone could see me. it was so awkward lol.
                              Wow, mashAllah you are brave!!

Originally posted by ibn_maymunah View Post
                              It's not a valid reason, Allah has made the whole earth a مصلى.
                              I was referring to controlling the issue of mixed prayer room or fear that there'd be unnecessary fitnah. If brothers are trying it you need to show them harshly that you're not a big fan of it iA. May Allah make all your affairs easy then.
                              Alhamdulilah, I usually wait patiently (read hide) for them to finish and use it afterwards. I usually just go in pray and leave and upto date, no one has ever bothered me alhamdulilah. Even if someone were to wait outside, they usually lower their gaze as I rush out.

Originally posted by Ya'sin View Post
                              :salams:

I have prayed in a kitchen before, Alhamdulillah people can be really nice, Once a non muslim man accidentally came in and he was like really sorry and rushed out of the kitchen.

And during my training, everyone was so polite, it was unbelievable. But no one wants to convert, they're just fascinated at the 'odd' practises

Hope you find a way soon :insha:

:jkk:
                              Jzk for your kind words!! I may follow brother leecoppers advice and email in advance.

Comment

Working...
                              X