Immigrant Muslims

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Immigrant Muslims

Sadly, I think what makes some Immigrant Muslims (and Non-Muslims) so insensitive to issues like police brutality (‪#‎Ferguson‬), disproportionate incarceration of African Americans and Latinos, etc. is that they've bought into the narrative of mainstream media that these people are all rowdy and need to be handled this way. Amazing how these same people will complain about mainstream media's unfair coverage of the conflicts that take place "back home" yet sing the same tune as them on issues relating to other minorities. It is absolutely imperative that as a community we acquaint ourselves with the issues in our own neighborhoods and collectively fight institutional racism, tyranny here an abroad, and the depraved media biases that allow those diseases to continue to plague our world. ‪#‎FreePalestine‬ ‪#‎FreeFerguson‬ ‪#‎FreeHumanity‬
    - Omer Suleiman
    17-07

Re: Immigrant Muslims

how exactly are we supposed to respond to stuff like the ferguson shooting and why there are so many african americans and hispanics in jail? retweeting hashtags? not taking a jab, just want to know what this omar guy thinks we should be doing.

Comment

Re: Immigrant Muslims

Sometimes its good to take the magnifying glass and put it on our own communities. I don't think what I posted was mean to be an extensive guideline of how exactly muslims can work to make a certain society more juste, it was just a facebook post that I found interesting. I don't think hashtags will make much of difference but it does seem to be the typical response to issues like palestine as well let alone local issues. Also, the man who posted it is a teacher so try to be more respectful.
      17-07

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
      X