Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thinking of getting a cat

Salaam
    So we are thinking of getting a cat. The only reason I am hesitant is I don't like the thought of buying and handling non halal food especially in my kitchen. I really love cats but I will not get one if it means I must purchase non halal meat.

For those of you who do not feed non halal, can you give me some brand names that are high quality with good ingredients? A mixture of wet and dry and more importantly that are balanced in terms of vitamins etc.

I also want to try and supplement with raw meat or fresh meat from the butcher. As I understand cat are meant to eat raw, I do have reservations about this in terms of salmonella etc but if anyone has done this successfully your advice will be priceless. If anyone has experience of this, can you please tell me what I ask the butcher to supply? As in which organs/bones shall I have them reserve for me and how best to prepare it? I am someone who eats only chicken breast or lamb leg so I'm quite clueless about the other stuff.

Jazakallah for your responses

Re: Thinking of getting a cat

I do raw feeding and am happy to give you ideas. Sometimes you will get bored with it/run out of meat and its ok to give tinned stuff. have a look at zooplus. They have a good range. I tend to stick to almo nature for wet and dry food (not too much dry). You need to look into B.A.R.F feeding. So I use a mix of chicken leg/breast/thigh and I mix it with a small amount of chicken liver, raw egg, you can add kidneys and hear but my cat ignores these. I add a mix called feline which gives the added essentials. There are different recipes. Sometimes I use turkey. My cat isn't into red meat or fish. I sometimes give here Thrive treats too but these are a bit expensive.

As for cat litter I really recommend Oko nature plus ( I think its called that) and it comes in a green bag. I think its German.

Please message me if you need more advice.

Comment

Me-ow

لا تفكر كثيرا
      بل استغفر كثيرا

-------------------------------------------------------
      The children need your prayers more than anyone else
      -------------------------------------------------------
      www.inheritorsofquran.wordpress.com

Comment

Wassalam

Cats are creatures of habit, so that means that they are very fussy eaters, so stick to what you want to give them. They are happy on a monotonous diet and will make a fuss if it is changed, I know many cats are like this.
        You can give raw meat or chicken, cooked chicken or cooked fish with rice, anything that suits you and stick to a limited diet though, for the reasons I mentioned. If you want then add the extra feline vitamins (which I dont bother to give).

Hadhrat Ali (Radiallahu anhu)

Comment

Originally posted by RainyDays View Post
          I do raw feeding and am happy to give you ideas. Sometimes you will get bored with it/run out of meat and its ok to give tinned stuff. have a look at zooplus. They have a good range. I tend to stick to almo nature for wet and dry food (not too much dry). You need to look into B.A.R.F feeding. So I use a mix of chicken leg/breast/thigh and I mix it with a small amount of chicken liver, raw egg, you can add kidneys and hear but my cat ignores these. I add a mix called feline which gives the added essentials. There are different recipes. Sometimes I use turkey. My cat isn't into red meat or fish. I sometimes give here Thrive treats too but these are a bit expensive.

As for cat litter I really recommend Oko nature plus ( I think its called that) and it comes in a green bag. I think its German.

Please message me if you need more advice.
          Excellent jazakallah,
          Do you freeze the meat or give it fresh? Would you recommend batch freezing?
          I will try those you have suggested, I wouldn't know where to start especially with all the different brands

Comment

Excellent advice I will try both ways to see what suits insha'allah

Comment

Animals are not bound to the laws that Allah gave to man; there is no such thing as halal or haram animal food..

I don't think cats can eat raw meat..etc. http://pets.webmd.com/cats/ss/slides...ould-never-eat
              Last edited by Tide2006; 16-08-14, 01:46 PM.

Comment

i'd love to get a cat, especially like those persians and maine coons

Comment

Originally posted by Tide2006 View Post
                  Animals are not bound to the laws that Allah gave to man; there is no such thing as halal or haram animal food..

I don't think cats can eat raw meat..etc. http://pets.webmd.com/cats/ss/slides...ould-never-eat
                  I have a problem with buying and handling haram meat, whether it is for a cat or a non muslim friend

Comment

Yeah, a sister here feeds her cat james beloved cat food

Search it online. It is halal
                    Ya Muqallib Al-Quloob Thabbit Qalbi Alaa Deenik
                    ( O changer of hearts, keep my heart steadfast on your deen)

www.treasureofthescholars.wordpress.com

Comment

Originally posted by Coolmummy View Post
                      Salaam
                      So we are thinking of getting a cat. The only reason I am hesitant is I don't like the thought of buying and handling non halal food especially in my kitchen. I really love cats but I will not get one if it means I must purchase non halal meat.

For those of you who do not feed non halal, can you give me some brand names that are high quality with good ingredients? A mixture of wet and dry and more importantly that are balanced in terms of vitamins etc.

I also want to try and supplement with raw meat or fresh meat from the butcher. As I understand cat are meant to eat raw, I do have reservations about this in terms of salmonella etc but if anyone has done this successfully your advice will be priceless. If anyone has experience of this, can you please tell me what I ask the butcher to supply? As in which organs/bones shall I have them reserve for me and how best to prepare it? I am someone who eats only chicken breast or lamb leg so I'm quite clueless about the other stuff.

Jazakallah for your responses
                      Walaikumassalam Sister,

There is a stray cat which lives right by my house, who was born nearby. I love feeding him (or her) and over time have stopped buying anything which says "Meat or meat derivatives" in the ingredients, as that could mean any meat.

The brand I buy is "Purina" and it seems quite pure. It says quie cleary items such as Chicken, or Turkey (though they do include animal fat in the ingredients and I dont know the source of that). But that is the best brand I have come across so far which is clearly labelled, and the little one seems to love eating it as well.

Comment

Of course you can give cats (and dogs) raw meat. I recommend batch freezing. I just mix it all up and divide it into portions in cling film. I would only put the powder mix on top fresh and sometimes a bit of dried thyme. Sometimes if I have ran out I just chops it up straight from fresh.

Comment

all the cats i see nowadays are skinny and really small, if i ever get a cat i want a big healthy one like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZyOPt4sgsbs

isn't that the cutest cat ever?

Comment

IslamQA says it is Haram to buy cats: http://islamqa.info/en/69770
                            We have an annoying cat that I am willing to give you. He is about 12 years old, wakes up at 4AM and meows, purrs, or even bites or sits on your face until you get up to feed him. He doesn't like being held for too long, and is not good around children, or most people for that matter. He would let strangers pet him a few times, setting them up for a trap, then bites them. Please, take him. I beg you.

Comment

Originally posted by Asma28 View Post
                              all the cats i see nowadays are skinny and really small, if i ever get a cat i want a big healthy one like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZyOPt4sgsbs

isn't that the cutest cat ever?
                              Hi person who I am suspicious of (I am watching you!). You should give a warning of the video having a woman showing her Awrah so we know not to look.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X