Kathum(praying over food)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kathum(praying over food)

My mother does kathum(praying over food) every Thursday for her son who passed away. Is it allowed in islam?
    But when other people say its not, my mother says 'Ive been doing this for so long, now they tell meI dont know whos saying the truth', she once said that its the arabs who made it haraam (Shes From PAkistan)
    Is it haram?

Re: Kathum(praying over food)

http://www.sunniforum.com/forum/show...ing-over-food)

The issue is discussed in detail here dear brother.

May Allah keep your mother steadfast and ease her pain Ameen.

Comment

I don't see what is so haraam about praying over food, especially if it helps the mother

Sad about the loss, how did her son pass away??

Comment

Originally posted by Asma28 View Post
        I don't see what is so haraam about praying over food, especially if it helps the mother

Sad about the loss, how did her son pass away??
        asma with all due respect what u think doesnt matter, in islam its forbidden because its a bidah( innovation) and every innovation in religion is haram. and what benefit is she expecting from praying over food for her dead son? the truth is, most indians and pakis tend to do this because they borrow from the hindu culture of praying over food and giving offering on "big" nights and on certain occasions.

may Allah guide the mother and grant her sabr.ameen

Comment

nvm

Comment

Originally posted by jupp View Post
            My mother does kathum(praying over food) every Thursday for her son who passed away. Is it allowed in islam?
            But when other people say its not, my mother says 'Ive been doing this for so long, now they tell meI dont know whos saying the truth', she once said that its the arabs who made it haraam (Shes From PAkistan)
            Is it haram?
            No it is not haram, may Allah grant your mother peace and sabr during this time.
            He who loses money, loses much.

He who loses a friend, loses more.

He who loses faith, loses ALL.

Comment

Originally posted by shezad View Post
              No it is not haram, may Allah grant your mother peace and sabr during this time.
              prove it thats its not haram. show me where in the quran it says that we should pray over food when someone dies. or show me a hadeeth..
              i agree its sad but we shouldnt resort to haram things in sad times

Comment

Originally posted by hamza1d1 View Post
                prove it thats its not haram. show me where in the quran it says that we should pray over food when someone dies. or show me a hadeeth..
                i agree its sad but we shouldnt resort to haram things in sad times
                You prove it's haram? where does it say you cannot perform khatam shareef?

Comment

You prove it's haram? where does it say you cannot perform khatam shareef?
                  its like u asking me prove it that celebrating christmas is not haram.

Comment

Originally posted by hamza1d1 View Post
                    its like u asking me prove it that celebrating christmas is not haram.
                    But surely there must be a hadith on it, seen as we're not familiar with it and you are sure that it is haraam can you please provide us with the hadith on kathaams so that we know for sure?

Comment

Where is the proof that you should do this every Thursday? - or when someone dies - or every 40 days when someone dies?

Praying over food is a topic in itself, but doing on certain days that have no virtue is an innovation - one practiced by the barelvia.

Comment

Originally posted by Asma28 View Post
                        But surely there must be a hadith on it, seen as we're not familiar with it and you are sure that it is haraam can you please provide us with the hadith on kathaams so that we know for sure?
                        There are no ahadeeth on khatams. I think that was the point.

Comment

What so reciting Quran, Surah Yaseen, Darood Shareef and then saying dua afterwards for the deceased and then distributing food afterwards is harram??? I don't believe it is haraam if your doing with the intention of pleasing Allah. Plus Allah is the one to judge.

Also (on a seprate note) my intention when I visit a grave of a loved one, lay a flower and say a dua TO Allah for my loved one to be at peace and to be forgiven for their sins is not grave whorship. Grave whorship is when you kneel facing the stone and praying to that person in the grave which is shirk and a sin. There is big difference between the two. Our beloved Prophet recommended we Muslims visit the grave yard as reminder of death, a reality check even. (excuse my poor spelling it has been a long day at work).

Brothers & Sis I am not here to argue with anyone or fight, I am here to give my views and opinions, if this should offend you in anyway then my apologies in advance, just like you guys and girls I am still learning and finding my way through this temporary life....so if anyone wants to respond then do so in kind and with good manners as this is also Sunnah.

Comment

What so reciting Quran, Surah Yaseen, Darood Shareef and then saying dua afterwards for the deceased and then distributing food afterwards is harram??? I don't believe it is haraam if your doing with the intention of pleasing Allah. Plus Allah is the one to judge...
                            Khatams are done in a particular way. How was this way devised?

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                            X