Ads by Muslim Ad Network

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Youngest Age to Lead Jummat?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Youngest Age to Lead Jummat?

    Hello Brothers and Sisters,

    I am a Sunni and was wondering about leading jummat. I am 13 years old and me and my friend, and his brothers (my friend is younger than me by a few days, his brother is 12, and his other brother is 10.) We also have a few other younger muslims. Anyway, me and my friend and his two brothers and a few other muslims all get together during school and occupy a room of one of my teachers (who happens to be muslim) during lunch to pray Dhuhr. Currently we all pray individually and not pray as a jummat, but was wonder what is the youngest age to lead jummat? Also, could we also read Jumm'ah?

    Could anyone bring some light?

  • #2
    Re: Youngest Age to Lead Jummat?

    Originally posted by asharahmed View Post
    Hello Brothers and Sisters,

    I am a Sunni and was wondering about leading jummat. I am 13 years old and me and my friend, and his brothers (my friend is younger than me by a few days, his brother is 12, and his other brother is 10.) We also have a few other younger muslims. Anyway, me and my friend and his two brothers and a few other muslims all get together during school and occupy a room of one of my teachers (who happens to be muslim) during lunch to pray Dhuhr. Currently we all pray individually and not pray as a jummat, but was wonder what is the youngest age to lead jummat? Also, could we also read Jumm'ah?

    Could anyone bring some light?
    As Salaam Ulaikum Wr Wb Brother,

    The prerequisite for Imamat are same as that of Salaah, however there are preferencesas to who should be Imaam. These preferences should not be confused as requirements...

    hence it is mentioned in Heavenly Ornaments..

    a. The person who is most worthy of imaamat is that person who has a thorough knowledge of the masa'il of salaat as long as he does not have any outward characteristics of fisq (immorality), he knows the specified number of verses for recitation, and recites the Quran correctly.
    b. After him, the person who recites the Quran according to the rules that have been laid down.
    c. Thereafter, the person who is the most pious.
    d. Thereafter, the person who is the most senior in age.
    e. Thereafter, the person who is most courteous.
    f. Thereafter, the person who is the most handsome.
    g. Thereafter, the person who is the most noble.
    h. Thereafer, the person who has the best voice.
    i. Thereafter, the person who is the most well-dressed.
    j. Thereafer, the person who has the largest head as long as it is in proportion to his body. k. Thereafter, preference is given to the muqeem over the musafir.
    l. Thereafter, the person who was born as a free person.
    m.Thereafter, the person who made tayammum for hadath-e-asghar is given preference over the person who made tayammum for hadath-e-akbar. But according to some, the person who made tayammum for hadath-e-akbar is given preference.

    NB. The person in whom two qualities are found is given preference over the person in whom only one quality is found. For example, the person who knows the masa'il of salaat and also recites the Quran correctly has preference over the person who only knows the masa'il of salaat and cannot read the Quran correctly.

    It is the duty of the muqtadis to choose the person who possesses the best characteristics from among all those who are present and to appoint him as the imam. If there are several people who are worthy of imaamat and they are all equal, then they should act according to the decision of the majority. That is, they should choose the person whom the majority of the people prefer. If they choose someone who is less capable despite there being a person who is more capable, they will be guilty of abandoning the sunnah.

    P.S If the jamaat is not made in masjid then whose ever house it is made in has the first right (provided he has the knowledge of masail etc) thereafter it will be the one he appoints... and thereafter the above listing.

    May Allah make it easy for you, guide you and all of us towards the right path. Ameen

    Comment


    • #3
      Youngest Age to Lead Jummat?

      :)
      Last edited by dizzyfish; 04-03-15, 12:10 AM.

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Youngest Age to Lead Jummat?

        Originally posted by dizzyfish View Post
        Most handsome?
        Hadīth of Ibn Mas`ūd al-Ansārī reporting from Rasūlullāh that he said: Let the person who best recites the Book of Allāh lead the community in prayer; if they are equal [in that quality] then, the person most knowledgeable of the Sunnah; if they are equal, then the one who migrated earliest (aqdamuhum hijratan); if they are equal [in it], then the eldest [in age] amongst them; if they are equal [in it], then the
        person with best morals, the most virtuous; if they are equal [in all these] then, the one with the more radiant face (aşbahahum wajhan) . (Sunan An Nisai - Kitab Al Imamah)

        Insha Allah will post more ahadith on this once home.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Youngest Age to Lead Jummat?

          Ok i was able to find some ahadiths which highlight some of the things mentioned above.

          أَخْبَرَنَا عُبَيْدُ اللَّهِ بْنُ سَعِيدٍ، عَنْ يَحْيَى، عَنْ هِشَامٍ، قَالَ حَدَّثَنَا قَتَادَةُ، عَنْ أَبِي نَضْرَةَ، عَنْ أَبِي سَعِيدٍ، عَنِ النَّبِيِّ صلى الله عليه وسلم قَالَ ‏ "‏ إِذَا كَانُوا ثَلاَثَةً فَلْيَؤُمَّهُمْ أَحَدُهُمْ وَأَحَقُّهُمْ بِالإِمَامَةِ أَقْرَؤُهُمْ ‏"‏

          It was narrated from Abu Sa'eed that the Prophet (ﷺ) said: "when there are three people let one of them lead the prayer, and the one who is most entitled to lead the prayer is the one who has most knowledge of the Qur'an." [Sunan An Nisai - Kitab Al Imamah - Book 10, Hadith 6]

          حَدَّثَنَا مُسْلِمُ بْنُ إِبْرَاهِيمَ، حَدَّثَنَا أَبَانُ، عَنْ بُدَيْلٍ، حَدَّثَنِي أَبُو عَطِيَّةَ، مَوْلًى مِنَّا قَالَ كَانَ مَالِكُ بْنُ حُوَيْرِثٍ يَأْتِينَا إِلَى مُصَلاَّنَا هَذَا فَأُقِيمَتِ الصَّلاَةُ فَقُلْنَا لَهُ تَقَدَّمْ فَصَلِّهْ ‏.‏ فَقَالَ لَنَا قَدِّمُوا رَجُلاً مِنْكُمْ يُصَلِّي بِكُمْ وَسَأُحَدِّثُكُمْ لِمَ لاَ أُصَلِّي بِكُمْ سَمِعْتُ رَسُولَ اللَّهِ صلى الله عليه وسلم يَقُولُ ‏ "‏ مَنْ زَارَ قَوْمًا فَلاَ يَؤُمَّهُمْ وَلْيَؤُمَّهُمْ رَجُلٌ مِنْهُمْ ‏"‏ ‏.‏

          Abu ‘Atiyyah, a freed slave of us, said: Malik b. al-Huwairith came to this place of prayer of ours, and the iqamah for prayer was called. We said to him: Come forward and lead the prayer. He said to us: Put one of your own men forward to lead you in prayer. I heard the Messenger of Allah(ﷺ) say: If anyone visits people, he should not lead them in prayer, but some person of them should lead the prayer. [Sunan Abu Dawood - Kitab Al Salah - Book 2, Hadith 206]

          حَدَّثَنَا مَحْمُودُ بْنُ غَيْلاَنَ، وَهَنَّادٌ، قَالاَ حَدَّثَنَا وَكِيعٌ، عَنْ أَبَانَ بْنِ يَزِيدَ الْعَطَّارِ، عَنْ بُدَيْلِ بْنِ مَيْسَرَةَ الْعُقَيْلِيِّ، عَنْ أَبِي عَطِيَّةَ، رَجُلٍ مِنْهُمْ قَالَ كَانَ مَالِكُ بْنُ الْحُوَيْرِثِ يَأْتِينَا فِي مُصَلاَّنَا يَتَحَدَّثُ فَحَضَرَتِ الصَّلاَةُ يَوْمًا فَقُلْنَا لَهُ تَقَدَّمْ ‏.‏ فَقَالَ لِيَتَقَدَّمْ بَعْضُكُمْ حَتَّى أُحَدِّثَكُمْ لِمَ لاَ أَتَقَدَّمُ سَمِعْتُ رَسُولَ اللَّهِ صلى الله عليه وسلم يَقُولُ ‏ "‏ مَنْ زَارَ قَوْمًا فَلاَ يَؤُمَّهُمْ وَلْيَؤُمَّهُمْ رَجُلٌ مِنْهُمْ ‏"‏ ‏.‏ قَالَ أَبُو عِيسَى هَذَا حَدِيثٌ حَسَنٌ صَحِيحٌ ‏.‏ وَالْعَمَلُ عَلَى هَذَا عِنْدَ أَكْثَرِ أَهْلِ الْعِلْمِ مِنْ أَصْحَابِ النَّبِيِّ صلى الله عليه وسلم وَغَيْرِهِمْ قَالُوا صَاحِبُ الْمَنْزِلِ أَحَقُّ بِالإِمَامَةِ مِنَ الزَّائِرِ ‏.‏ وَقَالَ بَعْضُ أَهْلِ الْعِلْمِ إِذَا أَذِنَ لَهُ فَلاَ بَأْسَ أَنْ يُصَلِّيَ بِهِ ‏.‏ وَقَالَ إِسْحَاقُ بِحَدِيثِ مَالِكِ بْنِ الْحُوَيْرِثِ وَشَدَّدَ فِي أَنْ لاَ يُصَلِّيَ أَحَدٌ بِصَاحِبِ الْمَنْزِلِ وَإِنْ أَذِنَ لَهُ صَاحِبُ الْمَنْزِلِ ‏.‏ قَالَ وَكَذَلِكَ فِي الْمَسْجِدِ لاَ يُصَلِّي بِهِمْ فِي الْمَسْجِدِ إِذَا زَارَهُمْ يَقُولُ لِيُصَلِّ بِهِمْ رَجُلٌ مِنْهُمْ ‏.

          Abu Atiyyah narrated that : a man among them said: "Malik bin Al-Huwairith came to us in our Musalla to narrate. One day when it was time for Salat, we told him to go ahead (to lead the prayer). He said: 'Let one of you go forward, until I narrate to you why I would not go forward (to lead prayer): I heard Allah's Messenger saying: "Whoever visits a people, then he does not lead them, but a man among them leads them." [Jamia At Tirmidhi - Kitab Al Salaah - Book 2, Hadith 208]

          حَدَّثَنَا إِسْحَاقُ بْنُ نَصْرٍ، قَالَ حَدَّثَنَا حُسَيْنٌ، عَنْ زَائِدَةَ، عَنْ عَبْدِ الْمَلِكِ بْنِ عُمَيْرٍ، قَالَ حَدَّثَنِي أَبُو بُرْدَةَ، عَنْ أَبِي مُوسَى، قَالَ مَرِضَ النَّبِيُّ صلى الله عليه وسلم فَاشْتَدَّ مَرَضُهُ فَقَالَ ‏"‏ مُرُوا أَبَا بَكْرٍ فَلْيُصَلِّ بِالنَّاسِ ‏"‏‏.‏ قَالَتْ عَائِشَةُ إِنَّهُ رَجُلٌ رَقِيقٌ، إِذَا قَامَ مَقَامَكَ لَمْ يَسْتَطِعْ أَنْ يُصَلِّيَ بِالنَّاسِ‏.‏ قَالَ ‏"‏ مُرُوا أَبَا بَكْرٍ فَلْيُصَلِّ بِالنَّاسِ ‏"‏ فَعَادَتْ فَقَالَ ‏"‏ مُرِي أَبَا بَكْرٍ فَلْيُصَلِّ بِالنَّاسِ، فَإِنَّكُنَّ صَوَاحِبُ يُوسُفَ ‏"‏‏.‏ فَأَتَاهُ الرَّسُولُ فَصَلَّى بِالنَّاسِ فِي حَيَاةِ النَّبِيِّ صلى الله عليه وسلم‏.‏

          Narrated Abu Musa: "The Prophet (ﷺ) became sick and when his disease became aggravated, he said, "Tell Abu Bakr to lead the prayer." `Aisha said, "He is a softhearted man and would not be able to lead the prayer in your place." The Prophet (ﷺ) said again, "Tell Abu Bakr to lead the people in prayer." She repeated the same reply but he said, "Tell Abu Bakr to lead the people in prayer. You are the companions of Joseph." So the messenger went to Abu Bakr (with that order) and he led the people in prayer in the lifetime of the Prophet. [Sahih Al Bukhari - Kitab Al Adhaan - Book 10, Hadith 72]


          أَخْبَرَنَا قُتَيْبَةُ، قَالَ أَنْبَأَنَا فُضَيْلُ بْنُ عِيَاضٍ، عَنِ الأَعْمَشِ، عَنْ إِسْمَاعِيلَ بْنِ رَجَاءٍ، عَنْ أَوْسِ بْنِ ضَمْعَجٍ، عَنْ أَبِي مَسْعُودٍ، قَالَ قَالَ رَسُولُ اللَّهِ صلى الله عليه وسلم ‏ "‏ يَؤُمُّ الْقَوْمَ أَقْرَؤُهُمْ لِكِتَابِ اللَّهِ فَإِنْ كَانُوا فِي الْقِرَاءَةِ سَوَاءً فَأَقْدَمُهُمْ فِي الْهِجْرَةِ فَإِنْ كَانُوا فِي الْهِجْرَةِ سَوَاءً فَأَعْلَمُهُمْ بِالسُّنَّةِ فَإِنْ كَانُوا فِي السُّنَّةِ سَوَاءً فَأَقْدَمُهُمْ سِنًّا وَلاَ تَؤُمَّ الرَّجُلَ فِي سُلْطَانِهِ وَلاَ تَقْعُدْ عَلَى تَكْرِمَتِهِ إِلاَّ أَنْ يَأْذَنَ لَكَ ‏"‏ ‏.‏


          It was narrated that Abu Masud said: "The Messenger of Allah(ﷺ)said: 'Let the one who has most knowledge of the Book of Allah lead the people in prayer. If they are equal in terms of knowledge of the Qur'h, let the one who emigrated first (lead them). If they are equal in terms of emigration, let the one who has more knowledge of the Sunnah, (lead them). If they are equal in terms of knowledge of the Sunnah, let the one who is oldest (lead them). Do not lead a man in prayer in his place of authority, and do not sit in his place of honor, unless he gives you permission."' [Sunan An Nisai - Kitab Al Imamah - Book 10, Hadith 4]

          أَخْبَرَنَا قُتَيْبَةُ، قَالَ حَدَّثَنَا أَبُو عَوَانَةَ، عَنْ قَتَادَةَ، عَنْ أَبِي نَضْرَةَ، عَنْ أَبِي سَعِيدٍ، قَالَ قَالَ رَسُولُ اللَّهِ صلى الله عليه وسلم ‏ "‏ إِذَا كَانُوا ثَلاَثَةً فَلْيَؤُمَّهُمْ أَحَدُهُمْ وَأَحَقُّهُمْ بِالإِمَامَةِ أَقْرَؤُهُمْ ‏"‏ ‏.‏

          It was narrated that Abu Sa'eed said: "The Messenger of Allah (ﷺ)said: 'If there are three people, let one of them lead the others in prayer, and the one who has the most right to lead the prayer is the one who recites (knows) the most (Qur'an)."' [Sunan An Nisai - Kitab Al Imamah - Book 10, Hadith 64]

          حَدَّثَنَا مُسَدَّدٌ، قَالَ حَدَّثَنَا يَزِيدُ بْنُ زُرَيْعٍ، قَالَ حَدَّثَنَا خَالِدٌ، عَنْ أَبِي قِلاَبَةَ، عَنْ مَالِكِ بْنِ الْحُوَيْرِثِ، عَنِ النَّبِيِّ صلى الله عليه وسلم قَالَ ‏ "‏ إِذَا حَضَرَتِ الصَّلاَةُ فَأَذِّنَا وَأَقِيمَا، ثُمَّ لِيَؤُمَّكُمَا أَكْبَرُكُمَا ‏"‏‏.‏

          Narrated Malik bin Huwairith: Prophet said (to two persons), "Whenever the prayer time becomes due, you should pronounce Adhan and then Iqama and the older of you should lead the prayer." [Sahih Al Bukhari - Kitab Al Adhaan - Book 10, Hadith 52]

          حَدَّثَنَا عُثْمَانُ بْنُ أَبِي شَيْبَةَ، حَدَّثَنَا حُسَيْنُ بْنُ عِيسَى، أَخُو سُلَيْمٍ الْقَارِي عَنِ الْحَكَمِ بْنِ أَبَانَ، عَنْ عِكْرِمَةَ، عَنِ ابْنِ عَبَّاسٍ، قَالَ قَالَ رَسُولُ اللَّهِ ـ صلى الله عليه وسلم ـ ‏ "‏ لِيُؤَذِّنْ لَكُمْ خِيَارُكُمْ وَلْيَؤُمَّكُمْ قُرَّاؤُكُمْ ‏"‏ ‏.‏

          It was narrated that Ibn 'Abbas said: "The Messenger of Allah said: 'Let the best of you give the call to prayer (Adhan), and let those who are most versed in the Qur'an lead you in prayer.'" [Sunan Ibn Majah - Kitab Al Sunnah Wa Adhaan Fiha - Book 3, Hadith 21]

          There are plenty more ahadiths which can be quoted and the above ahadith are just a few for references.

          May Allah guide you and all of us towards the right path. Ameen

          Comment


          • #6
            Youngest Age to Lead Jummat?

            :)
            Last edited by dizzyfish; 04-03-15, 12:09 AM.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Youngest Age to Lead Jummat?

              Originally posted by dizzyfish View Post
              Jazak Allah kul khair for the evidence. i am more puzzled on how high up the list it was compared to qualities like best voice..
              Wa Antum Fajazakamullahu Khairan Sis....

              If they are equal in age, then the one with the most beautiful character is preferred because bearing good character is meritorious and the leadership in prayer is based on merit. If they are equal [in having a lofty character], then the more handsome amongst them, because people like handsome folk [and hence will like] to pray behind them. Some have said: “The meaning of the Hadīth ‘the more beautiful in face’ actually means the person who knows many facets of a particular issue. As the idiom goes, ‘one facet (wajh) of this particular matter is thus …’ etc.

              Some others said: [it actually means] that a person who prays supererogatory prayers in the night as it has been reported in the Hadīth: “whosoever multiplied his prayers in the night, his face becomes more radiant in the day.”

              It is not necessary to find a constrained explanation because the obvious meaning is sufficient as we explained earlier [it is natural for people to be attracted towards handsome folk]. One of the reasons for giving precedence to Imāms [in order], is that a better person will be the cause for a bigger congregation, hence [a more handsome person] will be a better a choice. [Taken From - Description of who is the Most Eligible for Leading Prayer by Imām `Alā’uddīn Abū Bakr al-Kasānī ]

              Comment


              • #8
                Youngest Age to Lead Jummat?

                :)
                Last edited by dizzyfish; 04-03-15, 12:08 AM.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Youngest Age to Lead Jummat?

                  Originally posted by TalibIelm View Post
                  As Salaam Ulaikum Wr Wb Brother,

                  The prerequisite for Imamat are same as that of Salaah, however there are preferencesas to who should be Imaam. These preferences should not be confused as requirements...

                  hence it is mentioned in Heavenly Ornaments..

                  a. The person who is most worthy of imaamat is that person who has a thorough knowledge of the masa'il of salaat as long as he does not have any outward characteristics of fisq (immorality), he knows the specified number of verses for recitation, and recites the Quran correctly.
                  b. After him, the person who recites the Quran according to the rules that have been laid down.
                  c. Thereafter, the person who is the most pious.
                  d. Thereafter, the person who is the most senior in age.
                  e. Thereafter, the person who is most courteous.
                  f. Thereafter, the person who is the most handsome.
                  g. Thereafter, the person who is the most noble.
                  h. Thereafer, the person who has the best voice.
                  i. Thereafter, the person who is the most well-dressed.
                  j. Thereafer, the person who has the largest head as long as it is in proportion to his body. k. Thereafter, preference is given to the muqeem over the musafir.
                  l. Thereafter, the person who was born as a free person.
                  m.Thereafter, the person who made tayammum for hadath-e-asghar is given preference over the person who made tayammum for hadath-e-akbar. But according to some, the person who made tayammum for hadath-e-akbar is given preference.

                  NB. The person in whom two qualities are found is given preference over the person in whom only one quality is found. For example, the person who knows the masa'il of salaat and also recites the Quran correctly has preference over the person who only knows the masa'il of salaat and cannot read the Quran correctly.

                  It is the duty of the muqtadis to choose the person who possesses the best characteristics from among all those who are present and to appoint him as the imam. If there are several people who are worthy of imaamat and they are all equal, then they should act according to the decision of the majority. That is, they should choose the person whom the majority of the people prefer. If they choose someone who is less capable despite there being a person who is more capable, they will be guilty of abandoning the sunnah.

                  P.S If the jamaat is not made in masjid then whose ever house it is made in has the first right (provided he has the knowledge of masail etc) thereafter it will be the one he appoints... and thereafter the above listing.

                  May Allah make it easy for you, guide you and all of us towards the right path. Ameen
                  Wait how much is that?

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Youngest Age to Lead Jummat?

                    Originally posted by dizzyfish View Post
                    Interesting - thank you.
                    You are welcome sis...

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Youngest Age to Lead Jummat?

                      Originally posted by Faissaloo View Post
                      Wait how much is that?
                      According to Scholars one should know a minimum of 20 Surahs and it does not matter if they are small or long ones. This is the reason that majority of the people know the last 20 or 24 Surahs from the 30th Chapter of the Holy Quran.

                      Secondly it also points out that the person who is knowledgeable in Quran would know how many verses are there in the Surah.

                      May Allah guide you and all of us towards the right path. Ameen

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Youngest Age to Lead Jummat?

                        Originally posted by TalibIelm View Post
                        According to Scholars one should know a minimum of 20 Surahs and it does not matter if they are small or long ones. This is the reason that majority of the people know the last 20 or 24 Surahs from the 30th Chapter of the Holy Quran.

                        Secondly it also points out that the person who is knowledgeable in Quran would know how many verses are there in the Surah.

                        May Allah guide you and all of us towards the right path. Ameen
                        So is it haram to lead a prayer if you know less than that or what? Does it make prayer invalid or something (praying alone included)?

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Youngest Age to Lead Jummat?

                          Originally posted by Faissaloo View Post
                          So is it haram to lead a prayer if you know less than that or what? Does it make prayer invalid or something (praying alone included)?
                          I think i mentioned above the conditions for the IMAM... the one who leads the prayer - it must be someone who knows more than the others. So when we are choosing someone to lead the prayers and be the Imaam, we should go for someone who knows more than the rest.

                          People who are still learning or are new to Islam are excluded and their Salaah will be accepted BUT for those who do not fall under this category should try to learn more Surahs.

                          Comment

                          Working...
                          X