Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Backpacking across South America..

Salam all,

First post on the site so thought It would be best if I introduce myself : I am a 25 year old revert who has been a Muslim for 3 years. I am nearing the end of my Master's degree and so I am looking into travelling abroad. Does anyone know of any brothers/sisters that have gone to South America? My only concern is the lack of facilities, such as mosques, other Muslims, etc.. and the impact that may have on my din.

Opinions?

Thanks

Re: Backpacking across South America..

:wswrwb:

Where abouts in South America.....i have family there and been out there, so if you are able to give me potential places you are looking at visiting maybe I can look up some of the Muslim areas for you.

Its a beautiful place to be....

Welcome to the forum akhi!!!
    وَالْعَصْرِ

إِنَّ الْإِنسَانَ لَفِي خُسْرٍ

إِلَّا الَّذِينَ آمَنُوا وَعَمِلُوا الصَّالِحَاتِ وَتَوَاصَوْا بِالْحَقِّ وَتَوَاصَوْا بِالصَّبْرِ

"If Allah (swt) only sent this Surah to us, for the guidance of Mankind, this will be enough for us” - Imam Shaafi'ee r.a.

"Yeh dunya daar e faani hain, Tum apna dil mat lagaon, Ganimat samaj zinadagee ki bahar, aana na hoga, yahaa baar baar......"

Khanqah Habibiyah

Comment

No where set in stone just yet but I would like to check out Brazil, Argentina & Uruguay. Yeah it does seem incredible just it appears to be fairly unchartered in terms of Muslims travelling out there... Where abouts are your family based?

Comment

Panama,Chile and Venezuela

Trinidad and Tobago have good Deen in their communities as does Barbados.

Not sure at all about the places you mentioned, im sorry.

If you need information for any of the above please let me know.

There is a very large Palestinian community in Panama !
        وَالْعَصْرِ

إِنَّ الْإِنسَانَ لَفِي خُسْرٍ

إِلَّا الَّذِينَ آمَنُوا وَعَمِلُوا الصَّالِحَاتِ وَتَوَاصَوْا بِالْحَقِّ وَتَوَاصَوْا بِالصَّبْرِ

"If Allah (swt) only sent this Surah to us, for the guidance of Mankind, this will be enough for us” - Imam Shaafi'ee r.a.

"Yeh dunya daar e faani hain, Tum apna dil mat lagaon, Ganimat samaj zinadagee ki bahar, aana na hoga, yahaa baar baar......"

Khanqah Habibiyah

Comment

Originally posted by thsn View Post
          No where set in stone just yet but I would like to check out Brazil, Argentina & Uruguay. Yeah it does seem incredible just it appears to be fairly unchartered in terms of Muslims travelling out there... Where abouts are your family based?
          Argentina has one of the largest Muslim communities in South America. Most of the masjids are located in Buenos Aires.

Comment

Lovely - Ideally I'd like to travel across most of South America but if you could provide me with some info on the countries you've just mentioned then that would be great. I'm going to Turkey for 6 weeks during Ramadan so I'll probably look into going to South America next year, InshAllah.

Comment

Yeah you're right... I've just come across a wikipedia page that discusses Islam in Argentina too.. MashAllah, we're getting about aren't we? haha

Comment

Panama is in Central America.. albeit the most southern Central American country.

Are you going to South America to experience Deen? You may return disappointed as you will find, as a whole, little 'religiousness.'

However, what you will find as I found was a wonderful, wonderful community spirit and love within communities (especially within the smaller towns). They don't disrespect people with beards and thobes, at all. Rather we are given huge amounts of respect.

It feels like you are not in the west, you see another world.
                وَإِذَا قِيلَ لَهُمۡ ءَامِنُواْ كَمَآ ءَامَنَ ٱلنَّاسُ قَالُوٓاْ أَنُؤۡمِنُ كَمَآ ءَامَنَ ٱلسُّفَهَآءُ*ۗ أَلَآ إِنَّهُمۡ هُمُ ٱلسُّفَهَآءُ وَلَـٰكِن لَّا يَعۡلَمُونَ

And when it is said unto them: believe as the people believe, they say: Shall we believe as the foolish believe? Beware! They indeed are the foolish? But they know not.
                Al Baqarah : Verse 13

Comment

Originally posted by i.badat View Post
                  Panama is in Central America.. albeit the most southern Central American country.

Are you going to South America to experience Deen? You may return disappointed as you will find, as a whole, little 'religiousness.'

However, what you will find as I found was a wonderful, wonderful community spirit and love within communities (especially within the smaller towns). They don't disrespect people with beards and thobes, at all. Rather we are given huge amounts of respect.

It feels like you are not in the west, you see another world.
                  Salam & thanks for the comment. Going not so much for din but more so out of curiousity and to broaden my horizons. If and when I do go it would nice to visit the smaller towns as well as the areas that have a substantial Muslim population.
                  How long did you go for and did you travel alone?

Comment

Working...
                  X