Anxiety disorders and depression

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anxiety disorders and depression

Do any Muslims here suffer or used to suffer from an anxiety disorder and/or depression? I'm seeing a therapist and I'm on medication, which is working but the medication has made me really lazy. All I want to do is sleep or sit around and do nothing. Which makes it difficult to exercise more often or to pray. How do I snap out of this funk, I'm going to be on medication until November most likely and I can't continue to live this way :( (even though like I said my anxiety has gone down a lot due to the medication). I just hate sleeping all the time and having no motivation to do anything

Has anyone that received treatment felt the same way? What are natural ways to beat anxiety?

I should also point out I haven't had any panic attacks since I've been on the medication. I was having them mostly at night or randomly during the day, so I need to know if there's anything natural I can do to stop that from happening as well
    Last edited by brightesthour; 18-05-14, 09:28 PM.

Re: Anxiety disorders and depression

Originally posted by brightesthour View Post
    Do any Muslims here suffer or used to suffer from an anxiety disorder and/or depression? I'm seeing a therapist and I'm on medication, which is working but the medication has made me really lazy. All I want to do is sleep or sit around and do nothing. Which makes it difficult to exercise more often or to pray. How do I snap out of this funk, I'm going to be on medication until November most likely and I can't continue to live this way :( (even though like I said my anxiety has gone down a lot due to the medication). I just hate sleeping all the time and having no motivation to do anything

Has anyone that received treatment felt the same way? What are natural ways to beat anxiety?

I should also point out I haven't had any panic attacks since I've been on the medication. I was having them mostly at night or randomly during the day, so I need to know if there's anything natural I can do to stop that from happening as well

If that medication is Xanex then it will make you drowsy and sleep a lot.
    "When a man sees the road as long he weakens in his walk." Ibn Qayyim

Comment

Nah it's Lexapro. I think they all make people feel that way though :/ which sucks because I used to be more active

Comment

Nah it's Lexapro. I think they all make people feel that way though :/ which sucks because I used to be more active
        Perhaps all anxiety based medications make people drowsy or lazy since it tries to mellow you out and not feel anxiety. Bring it up with your doctor. Maybe there is a medication that doesn't have that side effect.
        "When a man sees the road as long he weakens in his walk." Ibn Qayyim

Comment

I feel the same way but I'm not on medication, I just feel really weak and feel worn out a lot of the time, is it to do with loneliness? Do you feel isolated?

Comment

I was on Lexapro for many years, I couldn't take it anymore because of that same reason I always felt real lazy and tired. I though it was just me, but then when I was weaned off lexapro and some other meds I came back to normal, I take Buspar that is working very good with no side effects. I wouldn't try taking strong narcotics like zanax or Kolonopin those will totally mess you up.

Comment

Originally posted by Musbah View Post
              Perhaps all anxiety based medications make people drowsy or lazy since it tries to mellow you out and not feel anxiety. Bring it up with your doctor. Maybe there is a medication that doesn't have that side effect.
              Hmm yeah. I heard it's suppose to make you feel drowsy maybe the first month taking it, but I've been on it for close to six months and it hasn't gone away.

I feel the same way but I'm not on medication, I just feel really weak and feel worn out a lot of the time, is it to do with loneliness? Do you feel isolated?
              Yeah I think that would be from depression. Depression can make you feel tired all the time and weak. Lexapro is an anti-depressant but they use it to treat anxiety disorders, but I still feel depressed. It took away most of my anxiety, but I still feel like crap most of the time.

I was on Lexapro for many years, I couldn't take it anymore because of that same reason I always felt real lazy and tired. I though it was just me, but then when I was weaned off lexapro and some other meds I came back to normal, I take Buspar that is working very good with no side effects. I wouldn't try taking strong narcotics like zanax or Kolonopin those will totally mess you up.
              That reminds me, did you take it at night or during the day? Because I wonder if taking it at night will be better. I take it early in the morning so maybe that's why I feel so out of it during the day. Has anyone done that before?

I definitely wouldn't want to get put on Xanax or Prozac or anything that strong.

Comment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5snbB-6IkU8

Comment

:salams

I have both depression and anxiety (mostly social anxiety). It's horrible and very draining; I wouldn't wish it on anyone. Drowsiness is a common side effect of depression, as is apathy, so I wouldn't worry about that. I wish I could tell you something or do something that would make it all go away, but I can't (believe you me, if I had the answer, I would've done it over ten years ago).

I know that yogurt helps boost energy, though. It fuels your body and mind and it's very effective at doing so. Also, try to get your hands on some black seeds or black seed oil. It's actually a sunnah, believe it or not. I'm not taking any black seed oil right now because I'm all out, but there was a period where I took a tea spoon of it every day and I noticed a big difference. It reduced the amount of panic attacks I would get per week. I went from about 2 per week to 1 every three weeks. The black seeds come from a flower called nigella sativa.

But, in the mean time, try and reach out to something or someone that will comfort you. I don't know how your body responds to the anxiety, but for me, I have a strong desire to be emotionally comforted (more so than most men). I get a lot of comfort from my pets, quite honestly. I talk to them as if they were my children and I love them just as much as I would love my son or daughter (if I had one). If you live near a forest or a river, go there and just relax. Listen to the birds chirping and take in all the beauty of God's creation all around you. Watch the sun rise while having a cup of coffee or tea.

Do something that calms you, but not just when you feel tense. Make it a habit of doing something that comforts you (and it has to be halal of course). Animals comfort me; that may not work for you, but whatever it is that works for you, you need to find what it is. My heart is breaking for you because I know how suffocating depression is. I will make dua for you, insha Allah.
                  "Wert thou to follow the common run of those on earth, they will lead thee away from the way of Allah. They follow nothing but conjecture: they do nothing but lie." (surah 6:116)

Comment

Originally posted by drac16 View Post
                    :salams

I have both depression and anxiety (mostly social anxiety). It's horrible and very draining; I wouldn't wish it on anyone. Drowsiness is a common side effect of depression, as is apathy, so I wouldn't worry about that. I wish I could tell you something or do something that would make it all go away, but I can't (believe you me, if I had the answer, I would've done it over ten years ago).

I know that yogurt helps boost energy, though. It fuels your body and mind and it's very effective at doing so. Also, try to get your hands on some black seeds or black seed oil. It's actually a sunnah, believe it or not. I'm not taking any black seed oil right now because I'm all out, but there was a period where I took a tea spoon of it every day and I noticed a big difference. It reduced the amount of panic attacks I would get per week. I went from about 2 per week to 1 every three weeks. The black seeds come from a flower called nigella sativa.

But, in the mean time, try and reach out to something or someone that will comfort you. I don't know how your body responds to the anxiety, but for me, I have a strong desire to be emotionally comforted (more so than most men). I get a lot of comfort from my pets, quite honestly. I talk to them as if they were my children and I love them just as much as I would love my son or daughter (if I had one). If you live near a forest or a river, go there and just relax. Listen to the birds chirping and take in all the beauty of God's creation all around you. Watch the sun rise while having a cup of coffee or tea.

Do something that calms you, but not just when you feel tense. Make it a habit of doing something that comforts you (and it has to be halal of course). Animals comfort me; that may not work for you, but whatever it is that works for you, you need to find what it is. My heart is breaking for you because I know how suffocating depression is. I will make dua for you, insha Allah.
                    That's what I have too, Social Anxiety and Depression. It is awful to live with, have you seen a therapist or tried anything for it? I know that's not something that will cure you officially, therapy may work for some but it might not work for others. I used to never go anywhere, I would be too anxious to be around people so I would shut myself off from the world. So that means not going to work or school, and living off my parents. It sucks, but it is getting somewhat better. Too anxious to get a job though..people still scare me.

I'll try that, thanks for recommending it. I know you live in Canada, but I would imagine you get that at any store? That's what I do too. I have a dog, and towards the end of last year I was having the worst panic attacks imaginable. One I knew was a panic attack but I really felt like I was going to die. My dog noticed that I was upset and that I was starting to hyperventilate and she laid on my lap and let me pet her. So animals are definitely comforting to me.

:jkk: I'll make dua for you as well

Comment

That's what I have too, Social Anxiety and Depression. It is awful to live with, have you seen a therapist or tried anything for it? I know that's not something that will cure you officially, therapy may work for some but it might not work for others. I used to never go anywhere, I would be too anxious to be around people so I would shut myself off from the world. So that means not going to work or school, and living off my parents. It sucks, but it is getting somewhat better. Too anxious to get a job though..people still scare me.

I'll try that, thanks for recommending it. I know you live in Canada, but I would imagine you get that at any store? That's what I do too. I have a dog, and towards the end of last year I was having the worst panic attacks imaginable. One I knew was a panic attack but I really felt like I was going to die. My dog noticed that I was upset and that I was starting to hyperventilate and she laid on my lap and let me pet her. So animals are definitely comforting to me.

:jkk: I'll make dua for you as well
                      I've seen a few doctors/therapists. Some have been successful, but not all. I believe that it can be beneficial inasmuch as a therapist can help you structure your life and to give you support. I'm not seeing anyone now, though, because I don't think it's necessary at this point in time.

Black seed oil is hard to find, especially in light of the fact that most people won't know what you're talking about if you ask them "Do you have any black seed oil?". They'll think you're talking about flax seed oil-- but that's a totally different thing. They have nothing to do with each other. There's a big supermarket near my house that has small jars of black-seed oil, so I get it from there. Buying it online would also work, especially from Islamic websites.
                      "Wert thou to follow the common run of those on earth, they will lead thee away from the way of Allah. They follow nothing but conjecture: they do nothing but lie." (surah 6:116)

Comment

Hmm yeah. I heard it's suppose to make you feel drowsy maybe the first month taking it, but I've been on it for close to six months and it hasn't gone away.

Yeah I think that would be from depression. Depression can make you feel tired all the time and weak. Lexapro is an anti-depressant but they use it to treat anxiety disorders, but I still feel depressed. It took away most of my anxiety, but I still feel like crap most of the time.

That reminds me, did you take it at night or during the day? Because I wonder if taking it at night will be better. I take it early in the morning so maybe that's why I feel so out of it during the day. Has anyone done that before?

I definitely wouldn't want to get put on Xanax or Prozac or anything that strong.
                        I take it at night sis. I had depression and anxiety, But i'm Bi-polar and have OCD I was on some heavy meds at one time like HEAVY! meds lol I was a walking zombie but alhumdulillah I'm only on buspar now. Depression is one of the worst feelings. The biggest thing that got me over depression was not procrastinating doing what I promised my self to do, If you just lay in bed and not move around you will constantly think about whats making you depressed to begin with. Procrastination is an enemy of depression it is much harder to do things that come usual to others. Once I got over that hump things got better.

Comment

Tell ur doc , he may prescribe you another medicine which will not make you tired but still help you

Comment

Originally posted by drac16 View Post
                            I've seen a few doctors/therapists. Some have been successful, but not all. I believe that it can be beneficial inasmuch as a therapist can help you structure your life and to give you support. I'm not seeing anyone now, though, because I don't think it's necessary at this point in time.

Black seed oil is hard to find, especially in light of the fact that most people won't know what you're talking about if you ask them "Do you have any black seed oil?". They'll think you're talking about flax seed oil-- but that's a totally different thing. They have nothing to do with each other. There's a big supermarket near my house that has small jars of black-seed oil, so I get it from there. Buying it online would also work, especially from Islamic websites.
                            The one I'm seeing now is good, but sometimes I feel like it is pointless. She tells me to do things and sometimes I don't do them, and the next time I see her I feel bad like I'm wasting her time. But it's nice having someone to confide in.

Ah okay. Yeah I've never heard of it before so I won't be surprised if stores here don't have it. I'll look though

Comment

Originally posted by Lowlife View Post
                              I take it at night sis. I had depression and anxiety, But i'm Bi-polar and have OCD I was on some heavy meds at one time like HEAVY! meds lol I was a walking zombie but alhumdulillah I'm only on buspar now. Depression is one of the worst feelings. The biggest thing that got me over depression was not procrastinating doing what I promised my self to do, If you just lay in bed and not move around you will constantly think about whats making you depressed to begin with. Procrastination is an enemy of depression it is much harder to do things that come usual to others. Once I got over that hump things got better.
                              Ugh that's what scares me, that my doctor will want to put me on different medications. Even though I'm only on Lexapro I feel emotionless, like I can't cry. I hate crying but sometimes it feels good to let it all out. I get these hot flashes too where I'll just sweat for no reason, it's a pain and gross to wake up in bed feeling sweaty. Yeah it's hard to get up and do things, especially working out. Even if I do workout I want to go back to sleep after which defeats the purpose of doing it

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X