fictional tv/Internet addiction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fictional tv/Internet addiction

I am trying really hard to be more religious, closer to God. One thing I have problems with is I get too emotional/upset & attached to tv shows that are not real. I get to where I hate a villainous character so much that I have anger and wish them dead..this is not normal. I become emotional attached to characters,stories...etc.

I have a computer addiction too..I spend up to 50 hours a week on the computer reading articles,forums,sports,checking facebook,youtube...though SOME of the youtube/articles are about Islam.

I have been this way(sitting at the computer for 50 hours..etc) for 8 years now :/

My addiction before this was television..now I watch maybe 15 hours of tv a week, compared to 80 a week before I got a computer.

dealing with being overweight and depression too...both I have had a problem with since 1999.
    Last edited by Tide2006; 28-04-14, 04:21 AM.

Re: fictional tv/Internet addiction

Assalamu Alaikum brother

I understand completely where you are coming from brother.

The first thing you have to understand brother is moderation, if it is as addictive as you say it is, you can't quit straight away.

Second thing, stay away from all haram on the internet and tv, you will have temptation but always remember you are doing this for allah and for the sake of your deen, there is no bigger reason for something than that. Also remember the hellfire brother, everybody dies and so allah will hold you responsible for your actions on the day of judgement.

And finally brother here is what i would do if i were you. Cut the time you spend on the internet and TV by half, REPLACE these things with something else. I imagine that you have nothing else to do so you do this out of boredom. So you have to replace these things with something equally as fulfilling.

Structure your life brother, without structure most people fall apart. Some people don't need it, but others do. Have a very strict time table and fill it to the brim with things to do. Boredom is a tool for shaitan and it will consume you.

Activities:

Gym - This will help with your weight loss. Brother, being physically fit is amazing, your depression is connected to weight gain i assume as well. This help go along way to solve it. Start small, work on your muscles and then your cardio.

Hobby - Pick up a hobby brother, something that makes you happy. But not related to TV or internet.

Friends - I cannot emphasise enough how important spending time with you friends is. You have to have a life, enjoy yourself with halal things.

Sports - Do a sport you like, if you don't like any sports, then do something that raises your team work abilities and also is healthy.

I cannot emphasise brother how important it is you fill your life with activity, doesn't matter what it is as long as it is not haram. Boredom and idleness is what drives most people to laziness and general depression.

Then finally, keep minimising the time you spend on the TV and internet and keep replacing it with stuff. Until you feel that you are spending the healthy amount of time. It will reach a point where you discover that because you have all these commitments, you don't have alot of time for TV and internet.

Then the depression. I do not know what the cause of it is, but my advice is to think of it this way:

Problem - Can you fix it? If so then forget what has already happened and go fix the cause of your depression. If you cannot fix, like if it is because of a crooked nose or you don't like your face, then what is the point of stressing about it? It will only make you miserable and life is only lived once. Everybody else is out enjoying their life to the max, why don't you forget what you can't fix and be happy for the life allah has given you.

And the last thing i gotta say is also this, only allah can help you but you have to take the first step. Ask allah for help and he will guide, as long as you help yourself ,allah will also help you.

So pray, structure your life, worship allah and smile brother.

Being sad is natural, letting it continue to depress you is a choice.

Comment

Also your emotional reliance on tv characters may be a reflection on your social life or emotional needs.

If you are lonely then i am almost certain that is the reason you are so connected to tv characters.

That is why it is important to connect with friends or family.

Comment

Originally posted by Bcereus View Post
        Also your emotional reliance on tv characters may be a reflection on your social life or emotional needs.

If you are lonely then i am almost certain that is the reason you are so connected to tv characters.

That is why it is important to connect with friends or family.
        I never thought of it that way. I have virtually no friends to talk to..I have family but no friends.

Comment

Originally posted by Tide2006 View Post
          I never thought of it that way. I have virtually no friends to talk to..I have family but no friends.
          Brother, humans are a emotional beings. Not only do they require their physical needs taken care of, but also their emotional and spiritual needs.

If you shut yourself in brother, then you won't survive.It will drive you crazy and your mind and heart will seek the emotional needs that you want.

Also your state of well being, health and surrounding greatly impact your mindset.

A structured and busy life will equal a structured and busy mind.

And a busy mind has no time for idleness. :D

Comment

Originally posted by Bcereus View Post
            Brother, humans are a emotional beings. Not only do they require their physical needs taken care of, but also their emotional and spiritual needs.

If you shut yourself in brother, then you won't survive.It will drive you crazy and your mind and heart will seek the emotional needs that you want.

Also your state of well being, health and surrounding greatly impact your mindset.

A structured and busy life will equal a structured and busy mind.

And a busy mind has no time for idleness. :D
            Thanks, you are right. I will work on it.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
            X