Khimar, Abaya, Jilbab?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Khimar, Abaya, Jilbab?

What is the difference between each? When do you wear the Khimar? I understand the abaya and Jilbab are very similar but I'm a bit confused about the Khimar. What is it, when do you wear it, what do you wear it with and why should you wear it.

Re: Khimar, Abaya, Jilbab?

From what I know. Khimar is what we call hijab. The long (or short) cloth that covers our hair/neck etc.

Jilbab starts from the head.

Abaya starts from the shoulders.

لا تفكر كثيرا
    بل استغفر كثيرا

-------------------------------------------------------
    The children need your prayers more than anyone else
    -------------------------------------------------------
    www.inheritorsofquran.wordpress.com

Comment

Originally posted by walkwithgrace View Post
      What is the difference between each? When do you wear the Khimar? I understand the abaya and Jilbab are very similar but I'm a bit confused about the Khimar. What is it, when do you wear it, what do you wear it with and why should you wear it.
      I think it depends. If you are wondering as far as a religious sense, or in a sense of language, then I believe the above is correct, that jilbab is a one-piece garment that starts at the head. Now, in the sense of clothing stores and what you will find through Google, khimar is generally a long hijab/scarf that comes below the chest and is usually one piece. A jilbab is usually a dress, some oversized and some fitted. An abaya, you will find different types, some of which are like a dress and some are very oversized, but in a clothing sense abaya are generally more modest than what is sold as jilbab.

And to answer your question about khimar and wearing it, khimar covers the chest. So, if someone is looking for a large scarf, they would search for that, as many do not cover enough, and muslimahs are supposed to cover their chest.
      Last edited by Sister_2009; 18-04-14, 04:09 PM. Reason: Additional info

Comment

A head covering, typically covering the head, neck, and shoulders and i bought a abaya from here i got good quality. :up:

Comment

:salams

I will try to explain in arabic

خمار (khimaarun) means a head cover

حجب - يحجب (hajaba - yahjubu) means to hide or to block

جلابية (jallabiyah) is the jilbab itself. It is the long gown from shoulder to toes

عباية ('abaayah) is the abaya itself. The outer garment like a cloak, gown

So you can see from the Arabic words, there are sometimes misconceptions in our muslims society. Hijab is not the headcover but it is the "act of covering" itself. If we say "things that cover", we can mention abaya, jilbab, khimar. We can say jilbab and abaya is quite similar as outer garments.

I hope that clarifies. Someone can correct me if I am wrong.

Wallahu a'lam.

They want to extinguish the light of Allah with their mouths, but Allah will perfect His light, although the disbelievers dislike it (61 : 8)

Comment

From what I understand, I think that all three words can be used to mean 'covering' in general. But the abaya is usually the black, Middle Eastern outer gown worn by women. Here are some pics of examples of all three:

Abaya
            Overhead Khimar and shoulder khimar
            Jilbab- I have noticed that many people use this word to refer to different-colored outer gowns- not the black gulf style ones. But I think it can mean abaya or khimar too.
            KhaleejiAbaya.Com

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
            X