Ads by Muslim Ad Network

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is forgiveness a must for one to be forgiven?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is forgiveness a must for one to be forgiven?

Salam Alaykum,

Sorry if the main question is strangely worded. When it is said that one should forgive others so Allah will forgive them, is that forgiveness something that has to be done? As part of the religion, must we always forgive? What about for one who can not forgive others? I'm just confused by the line and its meaning. Sorry if what I wrote sounds confusing or vague.
    Thanks for any replies.

Re: Is forgiveness a must for one to be forgiven?

Originally posted by petals View Post
    Salam Alaykum,

Sorry if the main question is strangely worded. When it is said that one should forgive others so Allah will forgive them, is that forgiveness something that has to be done? As part of the religion, must we always forgive? What about for one who can not forgive others? I'm just confused by the line and its meaning. Sorry if what I wrote sounds confusing or vague.
    Thanks for any replies.
    Wa Laikum Asalaam Wr Wb Sister,

Yes sister one should forgive the other person in order for Allah to forgive him. Islam is based on two Haqooqs (rights)

- Haqooq Allah
    - Haqooq ul Ibad

'Abdullah ibn 'Amr ibn al-'As said, "There was a man called Kirkara who used to look after the family and goods of the Prophet. He died and the Messenger of Allah, may Allah bless him and grant him peace, said, 'He is in the Fire.' They went to look and found a cloak that he had stolen. Then the Messenger of Allah (may peace be upon him) said: Umar son of Khattab, go and announce to the people that none but the believers shall enter Paradise" Bukhari Book 4 Volume 52 Hadith 308

Prophet (S.A.W) said "Beware of backbiting, for backbiting is more serious than adultery. A man may commit adultery, and drink [wine], and then repent, and Allah will forgive him. But, the backbiter will not be forgiven by Allah until his [backbited] companion forgives him Suyuti, Al-Jami` as-Saghir, 1/174, #2919

Forgiving Others

"Pardon them and overlook - Allah loves those who do good" (Qur'an 5:13)

"Those who control their anger and are forgiving towards people; Allah loves the good." (Qur'an, 3: 134)

Ja’far ibn Muhammad (may Allah have mercy on him) said, “For me to regret after having pardoned someone is more beloved to me than to feel regret after punishing someone.”

Qatadah was asked, “Which person has the highest standing?” He replied, “The one most abundant in his pardon.”

The Messenger of Allah was seated in a gathering with the Sahabah when he looked towards the entrance and said, “A man of Paradise is coming.” At that instance someone who seemed to be very ordinary entered the mosque where they were seated. A Sahabi WaS curious as to why the Prophet .‘ said this, so he followed the man to his house. This Sahabi told the man that he was a traveler and stayed as a guest. For three days the Sahabi saw nothing unusual, so he finally told the man what the Prophet had said and asked him what was so special. The man thought for a long time and said, “There might be one thing — before going to sleep every night I forgive everyone and sleep with a clean heart." Kitab al-Zuhd by Ibn al-Mubarak – Number 694

May Allah guide you and all of us towards the right path. Ameen

Comment

Working...
    X