Ads by Muslim Ad Network

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ruling on working in a restaurant where 'alcohol' is served?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ruling on working in a restaurant where 'alcohol' is served?

As salaamu alaikum, brothers and sisters.

I've never worked before and I'm 20, couldn't go uni because of the student loan fees (riba/interest), and now I've been offered a job as a waiter (100%), only problem is that alcohol and wine will be sold and served but I've been told I don't have to touch it or serve it because of my religious beliefs. I really need the money, my parents keep pushing me to get a job and this is the first one I've got in 2 years, so you could imagine the difficulty.
    So what is the ruling on this?

I'd appreciate it if you could quote a fatwa from a trusted scholar concerning this issue.
    Jazakallah khair, may Allah, Most High, reward you for your efforts.

Re: Ruling on working in a restaurant where 'alcohol' is served?

Originally posted by Kazhium View Post
    As salaamu alaikum, brothers and sisters.

I've never worked before and I'm 20, couldn't go uni because of the student loan fees (riba/interest), and now I've been offered a job as a waiter (100%), only problem is that alcohol and wine will be sold and served but I've been told I don't have to touch it or serve it because of my religious beliefs. I really need the money, my parents keep pushing me to get a job and this is the first one I've got in 2 years, so you could imagine the difficulty.
    So what is the ruling on this?

I'd appreciate it if you could quote a fatwa from a trusted scholar concerning this issue.
    Jazakallah khair, may Allah, Most High, reward you for your efforts.
    Here is a fatwa as requested about the alcohol issue:
    http://islamqa.info/en/173073

---

You could have gone to Uni if you looked hard for a solution and you still can go to uni, without taking out a loan:
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...gid=1930966648

I know someone who went to uni at the age of 35, finished at 40 and became a medical professional. Before which he worked.

You did the right thing by not taking out a haraam student loan. However, just because the government gives the option for a student loan, doesn't mean that it's the only way to get into university.

To be honest, if you can save up for uni (and you can save up if you wanted to), you can do a lot better with the money for your future than a degree. A degree is not everything and 90% of people with a degree don't get high paid jobs anyway. Many wealthy people do not have a degree. If or when you do save up for a degree, just make sure you do something which guarantees you a job, like becoming going into the medical profession, or engineering profession, i.e. all those professions which the "elders" talk about.

When I was 16, I went to a job agency (on the last day of high school) and they gave me a job on the same day packing garlic bread in a factory (minimum wage) no qualifications needed other than being 16 or over and being able to speak English.
    Last edited by oshirowanen; 13-04-14, 07:03 PM.

Comment

Working...
    X