Ads by Muslim Ad Network

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Overeating not malnutrition causes more deaths ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Overeating not malnutrition causes more deaths ?

I just attended a seminar recently conducted by a Muslim Medical Doctor. The topic was health and nutrtion in islam. And he mentioned that overeating has caused more deaths and diseases in today's world than malnutrition. So i thought we could start a discussion and verify the ground reality.
    “ I try to be El diplomatique ~Abu General El Diplomatique

Re: Overeating not malnutrition causes more deaths ?

I believe it, but I also believe that a lot of overeating is due to malnutrition also.

A lot of people eat fast food or easy to cook meals and many foods are now genetically and/or chemically modified. At least in the U.S. fruits & vegetables are modified to look ripe before they are and they're picked at that time as well. They have less nutritional value as does everything else - most flour & rice are bleached and enriched so they loose nutritional value. There are a lot of chemicals added to packaged foods to interact with the chemical receptors in your brain so you're 'addicted' to them and want to eat them, but they don't have nutritional value. Because of this many people will keep on eating because 1)they're addicted to the chemical rush of the foods -and- 2)their bodies are still 'hungry' for nutrition and telling them that they need to eat more.

When I was younger I would eat a lot of junk food and could eat tons of it without feeling full. But if I ate "real" food - vegetables with brown rice etc. - I would be full on only a little bit.

From what I understand many people die from the complications of overeating(and malnutritioned eating), mainly heart disease and diabetes. Heart disease can come from being over weight and/or having clogged arteries from ingesting cholesterol rich, fatty foods. And diabetes can come from being over weight as well as eating foods with a high sugar content - which most packaged food has nowadays. I've read even table salt has added sugar!

I find all of this fascinating as I tend to be interested in health and what constitutes healthy eating. You would think making everything from scratch would be enough, but when almost everything (at least in U.S. stores) has been genetically or chemically modified in one way or another even that isn't always enough keep you healthy. It's sad really. Makes me wish I could live somewhere else and grow my own food....

Edited to add this short video I've seen from Kamal El Mekki about "Health & Eating Problems of the Muslims." I thought it was pretty good.

Last edited by Bint_Hajj; 11-04-14, 01:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bint_Hajj View Post
      I believe it, but I also believe that a lot of overeating is due to malnutrition also.

A lot of people eat fast food or easy to cook meals and many foods are now genetically and/or chemically modified. At least in the U.S. fruits & vegetables are modified to look ripe before they are and they're picked at that time as well. They have less nutritional value as does everything else - most flour & rice are bleached and enriched so they loose nutritional value. There are a lot of chemicals added to packaged foods to interact with the chemical receptors in your brain so you're 'addicted' to them and want to eat them, but they don't have nutritional value. Because of this many people will keep on eating because 1)they're addicted to the chemical rush of the foods -and- 2)their bodies are still 'hungry' for nutrition and telling them that they need to eat more.

When I was younger I would eat a lot of junk food and could eat tons of it without feeling full. But if I ate "real" food - vegetables with brown rice etc. - I would be full on only a little bit.

From what I understand many people die from the complications of overeating(and malnutritioned eating), mainly heart disease and diabetes. Heart disease can come from being over weight and/or having clogged arteries from ingesting cholesterol rich, fatty foods. And diabetes can come from being over weight as well as eating foods with a high sugar content - which most packaged food has nowadays. I've read even table salt has added sugar!

I find all of this fascinating as I tend to be interested in health and what constitutes healthy eating. You would think making everything from scratch would be enough, but when almost everything (at least in U.S. stores) has been genetically or chemically modified in one way or another even that isn't always enough keep you healthy. It's sad really. Makes me wish I could live somewhere else and grow my own food....

Edited to add this short video I've seen from Kamal El Mekki about "Health & Eating Problems of the Muslims." I thought it was pretty good.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7JjLc6RmQQ
      jzkAllah khairan. I'll check it out.
      Last edited by Aj2; 12-04-14, 07:35 AM.

Comment

There is also a relation between overeating and depression besides other physical and mental illnesses.

Comment

Yes, I've heard this issue being spoken about before but it was called the "hunger-obesity" paradox where people facing food insecurity are actually more likely to be obese but I think they still have research on this in the works.
          17-07

Comment

Short article on GMO foods linked to obesity:

The above article taken from here: http://www.prevention.com/food/healt...ed-weight-gain

Another article, "How Processed Foods Make Us Fat, Malnourished, and Sick" here: http://www.theorganicprepper.ca/nutr...-sick-06222013

Also, "Is Genetically Modified Food Making Us Fat?" here: http://health.yahoo.net/experts/dayi...-making-us-fat

The article is about the effects of the residue left behind by a "weed killer sprayed on 80 percent of genetically modified foods." That active ingredient in this weed killer is glycophosate.

Interesting parts from the article:

"'Damages Cellular Tissue' in the Body

"Glyphosate in our food is making us fat and sick,” says Stephanie Seneff, Ph.D., coauthor of the paper and senior research scientist at MIT. “It’s the number one cause of obesity in this country and rates of obesity have shot up in tandem with increasingly heavy use of this herbicide.”

What’s more, “glyphosate ... may in fact be the most biologically disruptive chemical in our environment,” the paper states. “Negative impact on the body is insidious and manifests slowly over time as inflammation damages cellular systems throughout the body.”

"What’s the link with obesity and illness?

The paper reports that eating foods that contain glyphosate sets off a chain reaction. First, the chemical, which is known to have antibiotic effects, kills off good bacteria in our gut, which contains 70 percent of the cells that comprise the immune system.

“Two papers discussing gut bacteria in chickens and cows show that glyphosate—which is frequently found in animal feed—causes an overgrowth of pathogens,” says Dr. Seneff. “This results in several problems, since the gut can’t absorb nutrients in food properly and the body’s ability to get rid of toxins and defend against diseases is reduced.”

Additionally, says Samsel, “there’s a disruption in production of three essential amino acids, including tryptophan, the precursor to serotonin, a brain chemical that helps regulate appetite, satiety, and insulin levels. This creates a vicious cycle in which people don’t feel full and overeat, leading to weight gain and obesity.” "

"Is there any other evidence linking GM food to weight gain?

Last year, a long-term international study reported that when rats were fed GM corn, they were fatter after 90 days than a control group of rats that ate non-GM corn. Researchers found that the same thing occurred when rats ate fish that, in turn, had consumed GM corn.

GM corn is one of the more common crops specifically designed to withstand Roundup. The international study also looked at the effects of GM food on salmon. Fish fed a GM diet seemed to be outwardly healthy, but were larger and ate more than fish that didn’t receive GM food.

Fish on a GM diet also were less able to digest proteins and had alterations in their immune system and gut not found in the salmon on a non-GM diet. Subtle changes in other organs, including the kidneys, liver, pancreas, and reproductive organs were also observed."

Very interesting stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Aj2 View Post
              I just attended a seminar recently conducted by a Muslim Medical Doctor. The topic was health and nutrtion in islam. And he mentioned that overeating has caused more deaths and diseases in today's world than malnutrition. So i thought we could start a discussion and verify the ground reality.
              Do you know what's sad? In many western countries, 2/3 people are not at a healthy weight. I've seen this on the bus because I travel very far for school; there are way more obese and distinctly overweight people than healthy, and it's quite scary to think that these countries would dissolve into unhealthiness
              www.treasureofthescholars.wordpress.com

Comment

Originally posted by Grimmjow View Post
                Do you know what's sad? In many western countries, 2/3 people are not at a healthy weight. I've seen this on the bus because I travel very far for school; there are way more obese and distinctly overweight people than healthy, and it's quite scary to think that these countries would dissolve into unhealthiness
                Lack of a healthy diet, tasty food is always oily and it's cheap that's another issue, have you seen some of the portions sizes in some fast food places, crazy.

Do not invest your hopes in anyone but Allah and do not fear anything but the consequences and repercussions of your sins!

Uthmaan R.A

Comment

Originally posted by Sheikh_Google View Post
                  Lack of a healthy diet, tasty food is always oily and it's cheap that's another issue, have you seen some of the portions sizes in some fast food places, crazy.
                  My friend told me about this one guy at McDonald's she saw who ordered a large amount of sandwiches, so she naturally assumed it was for a party. Before he walks out, she swore he ate 3.

It's scary. How defenseless would a country be if most of their citizens are fat?

Comment

My friend told me about this one guy at McDonald's she saw who ordered a large amount of sandwiches, so she naturally assumed it was for a party. Before he walks out, she swore he ate 3.

It's scary. How defenseless would a country be if most of their citizens are fat?

why would a country be defenseless if most of their citizens are fat?

And without a doubt obesity is linked to many, many diseases. Lead a healthy and balanced life style =).
                    Last edited by Fliz; 13-04-14, 08:29 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Fliz View Post
                      why would a country be defenseless if most of their citizens are fat?

And without a doubt obesity is linked to many, many diseases. Lead a healthy and balanced life style =).
                      I meant that how could a country defend themselves in a war if everyone was fat? Does that sound weird? I dunno, whatever kinda my reasoning. Being unhealthy leads to many problems, including intellectually as well.

Comment

I meant that how could a country defend themselves in a war if everyone was fat? Does that sound weird? I dunno, whatever kinda my reasoning. Being unhealthy leads to many problems, including intellectually as well.
                        I know right. Another main problem today is most of the middle class generally prefer office jobs to physical labour intensive work. So they like to sit on thier butt for 7 hours a day and hit the gym a few hours a week.

How many here have done construction work or physically demanding jobs ? They pay you and you get a good workout too. Nowadays, its like you pay to get a workout at the gym. Nothing wrong with that though. Just telling you the direction and trend the world is at now.

Comment

Working...
                        X