Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Live simple, live free

Originally posted by Kya View Post
    Buy cheap clothes and replace them often. Easy on the closet. For guys its not much issue but girls don't like wearing the same ol thing years after years. After a while we start craving new things
    But tough on the environment:/

Comment

Jazaka'allah kheyr! Usefull stuff!

I'm in desperate need to de-clutter my room as well :D

Comment

Originally posted by btht View Post
        But tough on the environment:/
        But think of all the jobs (people employed in textile industry) making all these extra clothes. It all cycles thru

Comment

But think of all the jobs (people employed in textile industry) making all these extra clothes. It all cycles thru
          The "jobs" consists mostly of child slavery in 3rd world countries.

Comment

Originally posted by btht View Post
            The "jobs" consists mostly of child slavery in 3rd world countries.
            Atleast those kids have a job and some food to eat. without those "jobs" they would be begging in the street, sleeping on empty stomach, being used/abused by random homeowner who have them as servants. I know its bad but that's the reality. those 3rd word countries don't have government help program like west does

Comment

Atleast those kids have a job and some food to eat. without those "jobs" they would be begging in the street, sleeping on empty stomach, being used/abused by random homeowner
              You mean as opposed to working 15 hours per day, sleeping on empty stomachs and being abused by factory supervisors?

Comment

Originally posted by Al-Mualim View Post
                http://productivemuslim.com/intervie...#comment-33227
                Look ukthi ! Productive Muslim interview the Zen Habits/Mnmlist blogger ! Great read! Stay simple :)
                :salams
                What impresses me most about this person. Is that he has 6 children. I wonder if they are all from one wife or two wives. He doesn't even look at old. Amazing
                "Closer and closer to mankind comes their Reckoning: yet they heed not and they turn away" (21:1)

Comment

Original.Wardrobe management.An eye opener.

Comment

Well why did you marry her without knowing about her dress? And the question remains the same if you knew

Comment

This a great informative and helpful thread, I recommend the moderators sticky it :up: (if that's the correct UF term)
                      He who loses money, loses much.

He who loses a friend, loses more.

He who loses faith, loses ALL.

Comment

7 Tiny Steps for the Beginner Minimalist
                        ~ Donít trade a house in Jannah :insha:, for a lowly house in this transient world ~

They want to extinguish the light of Allah with their mouths, but Allah will perfect His light, although the disbelievers dislike it (61 : 8)

Comment

Originally posted by Mockingjay View Post
                          Clean freaks are minimalists by their very nature. I didn't even know this term existed until now.

Comment

Originally posted by Mockingjay View Post
                            Living the Simple Life

ĎA man is rich in proportion to the number of things which he can afford to let alone.í ~Henry David Thoreau

For almost 9 years now, Iíve been learning to live a simple life.

A life uncluttered by most of the things people fill their lives with, and left with space for what really matters. A life that isnít constant busy-ness and rushing, but contemplation and creation, connection with people I love and time for nature and activity.

That doesnít mean I have zero clutter and zero complications: Iím a part of the world, not a secluded monk. I have possessions, electronics, distractions, and occasional busy-ness. I just have reduced it to make space.

Today Iíve been reflecting on this simple life, and thought Iíd share some of those reflections.

Some things Iíve learned about living the simple life:

Decluttering your home and work space can lead to a less cluttered mind. These visual distractions pull on us in more ways than we realize.
                            A quiet unrushed morning is a thing to treasure. I wake early so that I have some quiet time to read, write, meditate.

You canít have a simple life if youíre unwilling to let go of what youíre used to.

Letting go can be difficult, but is easier if you do a one-month challenge. Let go of something for a month and see whether you like it or not.
                            Letting go of cable TV was one of the best things we did early on ó no more constant television in my home, no more ads for crappy things we donít need.

Shopping isnít therapy. Itís a waste of time and money.

If youíre filling your life with distractions, its probably because youíre afraid of what life would be like without constant Internet, social media, news, TV, games, snacks.

Simple, whole, healthy food is not only much healthier than junk food: itís a pleasure.

You have to make time for whatís important: time with your kids, time with your spouse, time for creating, time for exercise. Push everything else aside to make time.

Overcommitting is the biggest sin against simple living most people make. I painfully cut out a huge number of commitments to simplify my life, and Iím glad I did. I do this every year or so because I keep forgetting.

I keep my days mostly unstructured and unscheduled so that I have room for the little things that are so important: reading with my child, going for a walk, taking a nap.

I have certain activities I do almost every day, though not on a schedule: writing, reading, eating healthy meals, doing a workout or playing with the kids outdoors, processing my email inbox, reading with the kids.

Itís easy to fill up our lives because there are so many things that sound amazing. We hear about what others are doing and instantly want to add that to our lives. But itís harder to remember that by adding so many things to our lives, we are subtracting space. And that space is important.

By saying no to things that sound really cool, Iím saying yes to whatís truly important to me.

Distractions are both more tempting and more destructive than we realize.

Itís tempting to fill in every little minute of the day with productivity or distractions. Donít. Leave some emptiness.

We put too much emphasis on excitement. Itís temporary, and not important.

We overemphasize productivity. Focus, priorities and effectiveness are more important. So is a nice walk with a loved one.

If you canít learn to sit in a quiet room alone with no distractions, you wonít be able to simplify.

Buying things doesnít solve our problems. Neither does food.

Itís not how few things we own that matters. Itís whether we make those things count.

Itís better to have six books on your shelf that youíre really going to read than a hundred you never get around to.

When you travel lightly, youíre freer, less burdened, less tired. This applies to life, not just travel.

Your attention is your most valuable possession. Give it as a gift to the people you love most, not a bunch of clowns on the Internet. Give it to the work that matters most, not distractions.

Sometimes distractions are nice.

Living the simple life
                            oh yea.. this is so true..

Comment

Its so easy to see other peoples flaws and accumulation instead of our own. Recently I had 4 families migrate to USA. We got them all apartment and got them settled. Its been 3 months and one uncles house is already packed of things. I understand they are all settling their family in new country and new house but they already starting off with too much junk.

And then we have desi women and their unlimited supply of pots/pan. Obviously I don't cook enough and don't see a need for more than 5 pots/pan because there is no way I am cooking more than 3 items per day. but everyone house I go to has stacks of pots. some so old that they don't have handles.

I have clutter of souvenirs. I love traveling and I always want to bring something back as memory but most place have the same old magnets and mugs and key chains. I tell myself I won't pick those up and only will buy unique things but I can't resist when I think I might never come back to this area again". Now I have big collection and no showcase to display them :(

Comment

Working...
                              X