Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Live simple, live free

Are you a compulsive shopper?
    ~ Donít trade a house in Jannah :insha:, for a lowly house in this transient world ~

They want to extinguish the light of Allah with their mouths, but Allah will perfect His light, although the disbelievers dislike it (61 : 8)

Comment

Assalamu Alaikum Mockingjay,

How is living simple going for you?
      Do you see a large reduction in your monthly expenditures?
      Do you engage in activities that you didn't before and were there anything you stopped doing because of your new lifestyle?
      Do you feel generally happier?

Let us know how frugal living has affected your life.
      ومن يتوكل على الله فهو حسبه
      And whosoever puts his trust in Allah,
      Then He will suffice him.

Comment

Originally posted by Muslimman3 View Post
        Assalamu Alaikum Mockingjay,

Do you engage in activities that you didn't before and were there anything you stopped doing because of your new lifestyle?

Let us know how frugal living has affected your life.
        :wswrwb:

Thank you for your questions, brother. Here are my answers:

I like it. I feel that I become more organized. Less clutter at home. Before I buy something new, for example clothes, I make sure that I give away other clothes as replacement. My wardrobe is now getting more and more organized. It applies to other aspects too. I become more mindful whenever I want to make a purchase. I can now consider which are wants and which are needs. I have been able to get away from compulsive shopping. I used to buy frivolous stuffs just for fun. Now, I re-think, if I buy this, it means more clutters, so no thanks. So, yes, so far it's going well.

Yes, I can save up to 50% of the income. And as I cook my own food and avoid eating out too many times, the grocery shopping slightly reducing. Sometimes it's not precisely 50% though, because one or two things. But I can always save.

To be honest, there is not much changing of activities I experience. I still live a normal live. I don't think I lose my social cycles too.

Of course. Before applying this lifestyle I always struggled on how to make ends meet. It was very common that I didn't know where my money ended up for. I didn't track my spendings. It just seemed gone.

The second thing is something that you might feel yourself. The freedom because you need less. The freedom from keeping up with Joneses. You will feel much more content with what you have. You don't try hard to get more money because your needs are less.

And then I realized that once we step into frugal living, our awareness with the poor and the needy is raising. It's like we know how it feels to be like them, although luckily it's a choice for us. And being frugal doesn't mean we're stingy. We can always trying to help family or friends who need help too. We can have more budget to spend on charity, and less budget to spend on things that don't matter to us. Which is one of the great thing in living frugally.
        ~ Donít trade a house in Jannah :insha:, for a lowly house in this transient world ~

They want to extinguish the light of Allah with their mouths, but Allah will perfect His light, although the disbelievers dislike it (61 : 8)

Comment

Originally posted by Mockingjay View Post
          :wswrwb:

Thank you for your questions, brother. Here are my answers:
          :jkk: for your thorough response!
          ومن يتوكل على الله فهو حسبه
          And whosoever puts his trust in Allah,
          Then He will suffice him.

Comment

Living the Simple LifeLiving the simple life

Comment

Originally posted by muslimman3 View Post
              :salams

how is living simple going for you?
              awesome. I am very..critical on what i purchase i really have to justify anything i purchase..do i really need that game? Will it really get me to the akhirah? What should i be doing instead?? I have less distractions =/= less troubles and worries. Not watching tv and having adblock = no distractions to buy things i don't want or need.
              do you see a large reduction in your monthly expenditures?
              definitely.
              do you engage in activities that you didn't before and were there anything you stopped doing because of your new lifestyle?
              I have reduced recreational activities, not so much social life but it has helped me invest more time on my deen and personality! :d :d instead of this glamorous illusion
              do you feel generally happier?
              yes but i can be unhappy at times due to other reasons not related to being simple/frugal.
              let us know how frugal living has affected your life.
              :d
              Last edited by Al-Mualim; 18-08-14, 05:20 PM. Reason: I just realised this was for mockingjay >_> Idc I want to answer too :D

Comment

^ That's okay brother. I like to see people sharing about their frugal lifestyle here. Muslimman has provided good questions too. And cool story you have :up:

Comment

I follow this guy on facebook, interesting posts he has. I'm starting to give away my clothes. Clothes isn't my problem though, I have a lot of books in a large box and the half of my closet where my clothes supposed to be :/ (Ya, I should probably get a book shelf) but ya I need to part ways with those and then some of my school notes that I am never going to need but can't bring myself to throw away.
                  17-07

Comment

Originally posted by WhatSheSaid View Post
                    I follow this guy on facebook, interesting posts he has. I'm starting to give away my clothes. Clothes isn't my problem though, I have a lot of books in a large box and the half of my closet where my clothes supposed to be :/ (Ya, I should probably get a book shelf) but ya I need to part ways with those and then some of my school notes that I am never going to need but can't bring myself to throw away.
                    Who is he? I have also given a way big chunk of my clothes too. My wardrobe is now tidy. lol. I have one small book shelf, not intending to buy anymore because I have Kindle so I used to read e-books.

Comment

Who is he? I have also given a way big chunk of my clothes too. My wardrobe is now tidy. lol. I have one small book shelf, not intending to buy anymore because I have Kindle so I used to read e-books.
                      The dude behind becoming minimalist ( https://www.facebook.com/becomingminimalist). I haven't got used to e-books yet, it will take me time tbh. I'm very old school.
                      17-07

Comment

Originally posted by WhatSheSaid View Post
                        The dude behind becoming minimalist ( https://www.facebook.com/becomingminimalist). I haven't got used to e-books yet, it will take me time tbh. I'm very old school.
                        You're kidding. I like to read his stuffs too, Joshua Becker. I bumped into his blog first time I learned bout simple living. lol. For e-book all you need is a good e-book reader to save your eyes, Kindle is the best. But yeah, some of my friends are not used to e-books too. But it really saves a lot.

Comment

:jkk:

I do 1-3 regularly. The best way I find keeping uncluttered is to only allow myself to own a limited amount of something. You really only need 2 outfits (one to clean and one to wear, and many of the sahaba[ra] only had one outfit), but I can understand how ladies would desire more. Make sure you never let yourself own more than you need, and then getting something new is a treat and special occasion (especially if it's a gift from someone else).

Having too many things makes you lose appreciation for those things, especially jewelry.

Each time you get something new, donate something you haven't used in a while. That way you keep your wardrobe fresh, and you are letting others make use of things that would sit in the closet and collect dust.

-- Sis, can I quote your posts in my homesteading thread? :D
                          Last edited by |Sister|; 19-08-14, 03:27 AM.

Comment

You're kidding. I like to read his stuffs too, Joshua Becker. I bumped into his blog first time I learned bout simple living. lol
                            How do you deal with family members though? I find a lot of immigrant communities put emphasis on flaunting even though they genuinely can't afford and would probably do better living minimally LOL.
                            17-07

Comment

Originally posted by iRepIslam View Post
                              :salams: :jkk: this will be so hard for me lol
                              It is so hard at first. I was like.....oohhh nooo I love these clothes. I can't let them go. lol. But after they were all gone and I saw neat wardrobe, it was addictive. I would like to do more and more de-cluttering. lol.

Originally posted by muzzybee View Post
                              Jazakallah khairan , Nice thread.
                              Very productive and helpful.
                              waiyyakum
                              I used to survive with 2 trousers, 2 shirts, 1 t shirt.
                              نحن قوما اعزنا الله بالإسلام فإن ابتغينا عزة بغيره أذلنا الله

Comment

Originally posted by |Sister| View Post
                                :jkk:

I do 1-3 regularly. The best way I find keeping uncluttered is to only allow myself to own a limited amount of something. You really only need 2 outfits (one to clean and one to wear, and many of the sahaba[ra] only had one outfit), but I can understand how ladies would desire more. Make sure you never let yourself own more than you need, and then getting something new is a treat and special occasion (especially if it's a gift from someone else).

Having too many things makes you lose appreciation for those things, especially jewelry.

Each time you get something new, donate something you haven't used in a while. That way you keep your wardrobe fresh, and you are letting others make use of things that would sit in the closet and collect dust.

-- Sis, can I quote your posts in my homesteading thread? :D
                                That's really true. I realized that I had too many clothes I never wore -_____- I was very addicted in buying new clothes till they piled up. I remembered when I shopped, my friend said to me, don't you have the similar clothes like this, and I said, really, I don't remember. lol. Because there are just too many of them. Glad I got rid most of them now for charity. It's true that we need to be content with less.

Surely, I also subscribed to your homesteading thread. Lotsa good tips there :up:

Comment

Working...
                                X