Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Live simple, live free

:salams

As you know that I am currently engrossed with the idea of frugal and simple living. I'd like to make a thread about it containing some tips (not all my own tips) from various sources in the internet. Hope we can all benefit from this.

The first stage to live simple is........

DE-CLUTTERING YOUR WARDROBE
    ........... especially for sisters :D

We sometimes buy clothes impulsively. When we see clothes are on sale, we directly want to buy it. Learn from men. Men will not buy anything they don't like, eventhough it's v. cheap. They buy something they really wanna buy! That's the key.

Back to wardrobes. It's time for you to organize your wardrobes. How many shirts, skirts, Tshirts, jeans that you haven't worn in 6 months? Better get rid of them quickly for charity may be. I did once last month. And the feelings when the bulk of clothes were gone was..... irreplaceable.

For a starter, here are some little good tips I found from the internet.

How To Declutter Your Wardrobe: Tips for Simplifying Closets & Clothes

Downsizing your wardrobe is a matter of asking yourself the right questions about your clothes and taking small actions.

“What do I wear on a day to day basis?” Jeans? Leggings? Suits? Dresses? Pajamas? If you work in a garden every day, you probably won’t need many dressy clothes. If you work in a corporate office five days a week, you may need more business casual attire than other people, but less clothes for lounging around.

“What is the weather like year-round?” Is there a cold winter? Do you have one great, thick winter coat and one coat that you can wear for spring and fall? Or do you have five winter coats? Do you really need five winter coats? Boots? Or do you live in the desert year-round?

“Do I work out?” You might need a couple workout clothes on hand. Do you play sports? Can you get away with having the same two or three outfits for workouts?

“Do I really need four pairs of gloves?” You probably don’t. And you probably don’t need four black t-shirts either. This concept can apply to every type of item you own (gym shoes, scarves, coats, jeans, sweatshirts, etc.).

“How often do I have to do laundry?” This is huge. Laundry habits affect how often clothes need to be worn. How often can you wear clothes before they’re considered ‘dirty’? (Hint: Jeans are pretty much never dirty until they get something actually spilled on them. I wear mine two weeks straight before tossing in the wash.)

Anything else you need to ask yourself that is unique to your clothes?

Actions To Take:

1. Take everything out of your closet.

2. Make space on the floor for three different piles: keep, donate, toss. Sometimes I break up my ‘keep’ pile into ‘yes’ and ‘maybe’ if there are a few clothing items I’m not sure about yet.

3. Find your favorite signature items and accessories (if any). Keep those. Build flexible outfits around items you wear often.

4. Decide what to get rid of:

If you haven’t worn it in the past six months (with the exceptions of seasonal items), get rid of it. If it’s a seasonal item you haven’t worn in the last year, get rid of it. Items in good shape should be donated. Items that are falling apart can be tossed or re-purposed as rags, quilts, etc.

Not sure how you feel about certain items? Pack them up, put them out of sight, and go back to it in three months. If you find yourself digging through the box for particular items within those three months, keep it. If you never open the box, donate them. (I need to get around to finding those boxes in my parents’ attic and donating what’s inside.)
    If it does not fit you anymore, get rid of it. Don’t wait until you ‘will fit in it again.’ Make your wardrobe fit your current body.

Are your clothes comfortable? Do they flatter you? Do you love them? If the answer is no, get rid of it.

Keep track of what you wear and don’t wear. Put all the clothes that you’ve worn back in the front of the closet. As time passes, notice if any clothes consistently stay in the back. If you’re not wearing them, get rid of them.

5. Don’t forget your accessories. How many belts do you really need? Earrings? Necklaces? Depending on how much you like to wear, some people find that one or two of each or enough. Or maybe just owning ten pieces is extreme for you. It’s up to you. (Accessories are easier to keep, though, since they can be stored in smaller boxes/space.)

6. Keep your clothes in view. When you can see your clothes, you get a better sense of what you wear and don’t wear. So, hang them up. Put them on visible shelves. Whatever. Organize your closet space so that everything stays in view. This also discourages you from hoarding items in bags or shoving them into drawers.

And you’re done! It’s OK if you’ve only removed five articles of clothing the first time around. You can do this again. And again.

It’s OK to buy new clothes. Don’t fret if you’ve gotten rid of too many clothes and your closet is too bare, or if you’re afraid to get rid of clothes in case you may need it in the future. You definitely have permission to buy something in the future. (I mean, come on, you’re not going to wear the same underwear the rest of your life.) The best way to bring new clothes into a wardrobe is by using the one-in, one-out rule. For every item you’re bringing into your closet/home, donate one or two other items.

The more you do this, the quicker you’ll see how easy it is to have a small closet in a tiny home or any other small space.

Source: http://tinyhousetalk.com/how-to-decl...your-wardrobe/

So, you guys ready to do this first step???? :D

Will update soon with more tips :insha:

Any tips from all of you are truly welcomed as well :up:
    ~ Don’t trade a house in Jannah :insha:, for a lowly house in this transient world ~

They want to extinguish the light of Allah with their mouths, but Allah will perfect His light, although the disbelievers dislike it (61 : 8)

Re: Live simple, live free

Jazakallah khairan , Nice thread.
    Very productive and helpful.

Youtube channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCYk...dE4pHzSid7Lr0w

**** Smiling won't cost you now is it ****

Zawjati ,“Uhibbuki mithla mâ antę” “Uhibbuki kaifamâ kunteee”“Wa mahmâ kâna mahma sâra”

Comment

Live simple, live free

:salams: :jkk: this will be so hard for me lol
      إقراء القران فإنه يأتي يوم القيامة شفيعا لأصحابه

Comment

Originally posted by iRepIslam View Post
        :salams: :jkk: this will be so hard for me lol
        It is so hard at first. I was like.....oohhh nooo I love these clothes. I can't let them go. lol. But after they were all gone and I saw neat wardrobe, it was addictive. I would like to do more and more de-cluttering. lol.

Originally posted by muzzybee View Post
        Jazakallah khairan , Nice thread.
        Very productive and helpful.
        waiyyakum
        ~ Don’t trade a house in Jannah :insha:, for a lowly house in this transient world ~

They want to extinguish the light of Allah with their mouths, but Allah will perfect His light, although the disbelievers dislike it (61 : 8)

Comment

Cute thread.

JazahkhAllahu Khair sis

Comment

One of my tips is that which i try and practise,
            Walk leisurely on a Sunday or a holiday and enjoy the quiteness and beauty of Allah SWTs creation around you.

Simple yet effective stress relief.

Zawjati ,“Uhibbuki mithla mâ antę” “Uhibbuki kaifamâ kunteee”“Wa mahmâ kâna mahma sâra”

Comment

One of my tips is that which i try and practise,
              Walk leisurely on a Sunday or a holiday and enjoy the quiteness and beauty of Allah SWTs creation around you.

Simple yet effective stress relief.
              Agree. Enjoying nature makes us think less about materialistic things. Instead of strolling around at malls, doing hiking, mountaineering, or just a walk by the sea is much better, for our health as well. And it makes us more grateful to Allah :swt: :insha:

Comment

Live simple = Eat healthily
                إقراء القران فإنه يأتي يوم القيامة شفيعا لأصحابه

Comment

50 Tips for Frugal Living

Comment

I would love to live technology free for a month and see how it feels.
                    The concept of Muslim Village probably will fulfill this criteria.

Comment

I would love to live technology free for a month and see how it feels.
                      The concept of Muslim Village probably will fulfill this criteria.
                      Good luck and lemme know. lol.

Comment

33 Ways To Save Your Money

Comment

In simple terms think of it in this way:
                          You die- imagine the poor person who has to sort through your crap!!
                          My nana was so simple he barely owned anything- not cos he couldn't lol he had plenty of money. He just didn't feel the need to. Simple man simple life
                          *~* Learn Patience from Aasiyah (RA); Loyalty from Khadhija (RA); Sincerity from Aisha (RA) and Steadfastness from Fatima (RA).*~*

Comment

Originally posted by Zesty View Post
                            In simple terms think of it in this way:
                            You die- imagine the poor person who has to sort through your crap!!
                            My nana was so simple he barely owned anything- not cos he couldn't lol he had plenty of money. He just didn't feel the need to. Simple man simple life
                            True that. Especially if people die leaving much debts behind. It just seems not fair for the family.....

Comment

12 Intentional Actions to Choose Happiness Today
                              Last edited by Mockingjay; 13-05-14, 08:16 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X